The best books on race car performance analysis

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Xwang

The best books on race car performance analysis

Hi,
which are the best books on race car performance analysis?
I would like to focus on performance parameters estimation using GPS telemetry data.

Tim.Wright

Re: The best books on race car performance analysis

What's your education background (i.e. mechanic, engineer, accountant) and what level of knowledge are you hoping to acheive? (hobby or professional).
Not the engineer at Force India

wb92

Nevertheless of the level:
Analysis Techniques for Racecar Data Acquisition by Jorge Segers

I think there you should find everything
MVRC - WBRacing

Xwang

Tim.Wright wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 14:37
What's your education background (i.e. mechanic, engineer, accountant) and what level of knowledge are you hoping to acheive? (hobby or professional).
Aerospace engineer, 12 years of expertise in simulation, so I would like to achieve a professional level of knowledge.

Xwang

wb92 wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 17:03
Nevertheless of the level:
Analysis Techniques for Racecar Data Acquisition by Jorge Segers

I think there you should find everything
Thank you!

Tim.Wright

Xwang wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 17:33
Tim.Wright wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 14:37
Aerospace engineer, 12 years of expertise in simulation, so I would like to achieve a professional level of knowledge.
To get the funadmentals of handling I'd recommend Guiggiani and to avoid anything motorsport related (books, videos, seminars etc). Is your Aerospace background dynamics related by any chance? If so it's a good head start and Milliken would also be a good reference however I prefer Guiggiani because it's covers the fundamentals much more comprehensively than Milliken - especially transient dynamics.

For more applied stuff related directly to data analysis, I don't have a lot of sources I've personally tried, but there is a facebook group called Advanced Racecar Data Analysis which had a post on exactly this topic pretty recently:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Advance ... 0649697025

Xwang

Tim.Wright wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 18:10
Is your Aerospace background dynamics related by any chance?
Yes, it is.
In the last twelve years I was in charge for the development of the flight dynamics simulation models for pilot training simulators.

Tim.Wright

Ok, interesting. Milliken's part on steady state vehicle dynamics is basically flight dynamics applied to a car. I can't remember if Guiggiani has the same approach or not. If so then that would be the only book youd need. If not then would be good to have them both.

Xwang

Tim.Wright wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 18:34
Ok, interesting. Milliken's part on steady state vehicle dynamics is basically flight dynamics applied to a car. I can't remember if Guiggiani has the same approach or not. If so then that would be the only book youd need. If not then would be good to have them both.
Ok thank you!
I have something to study when I sunbathe! :D