Williams FW43

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
wogx

Re: Williams FW43

That small wing under RW main plane is legal?
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

ScrewCaptain27

wogx wrote:
02 Jul 2020, 19:53
Yes, it’s a loophole that’s been there since 2017.
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

Moctecus

Two different front suspensions on the cars today:

Latifi (top): old
Russell (bottom): new

ENGINE TUNER

Moctecus wrote:
03 Jul 2020, 20:32

https://i.imgur.com/1lWXy45.jpg

Were these taken before or after the Latifi crash?

ScrewCaptain27

New T-Wing:
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

jjn9128

wogx wrote:
02 Jul 2020, 19:53
There's a 50mm long region of bodywork at the back of the car and ahead of the rear wing which doesn't fall inside the 75mm thick and radius volume. Any gap in the rules the teams will seek to exploit to maximise downforce.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Moctecus

Williams added a vane running parallel to the upper wishbone on the side of the chassis. Interestingly, it is only present on the right side of Russell's car. It is not present on the left side and Latifi's car didn't run it at all.
I checked to see if it was just for a test run, but Russell used this configuration from FP2 throughout the weekend.
Might be an attempt to improve airflow into the right sidepod, i.e. something related to cooling. Cooling is usually the reason when teams use asymmetric bodywork configurations.

Mr Brooksy

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, however I can't help but wonder if Williams should go back to the lower rake concept. The car we had under Symonds was much lower at the rear than post Symonds and was much more stable in high speed corners (even with a wind tunnel spitting out incorrect numbers) and much more competitive.

It's been on my mind since the pink Mercedes appeared in pre season testing. If I remember correctly there was an interview with one of their head designers (Andy Green maybe) or something that said that the high rake was something they struggle to master (obviously it has a fair bit too do with using the Merc gearbox that ultimately is designed around the low rake concept), bit it got me thinking... Mercedes has cleaned up since 14, they also are the only team to constantly stick with the low rake concept, yet as soon as racing point went to the same concept they have been far more consistent and quick. Now I'd be an idiot to assume racing points huge turn around is all in the rake, but considering the strong package we had under Symonds with low rake, racing points changes of fortune, Mercedes dominance... Is there something to it? IIRC the racing point guy said perfecting the high rake concept was extremely difficult as you needed to have sealed the floor amazingly well to reap the concepts rewards... But the all concurring Merc isn't at all handicapped by lacking this concept.

It reminds me of the interviews about the 14 and 15, Mercs nose tip concept, and people saying that it really wasn't that much of an advantage and that because almost all the other teams went the "thumb" tip route, Mercedes concept is likely to a bring negligible advantage... Yet in 2020, almost all teams have clambered over themselves to copy the Mercs nose concept... even though it took them 5 to 6 years to change their concept...

Anyway, its just been playing on my mind since pre season testing.

Hopefully some much more intelligent and knowledgeable Aero guru here can shed some light on my question.
WilliamsF1 fan since 1989

Stahlkocher

I would use Renault rather than RP as an indicator of the low rake concept having definitive advantages.

Renault always had problems with an unpredictable rear end because the downforce was never stable enough. I still remember when they had issues with the downforce when the wheels were turned too much or so - I do not remember that thing 100%. But basically that sounds like issues managing the flow downstream, and that is a huge issue if you have to seal the floor consistently.

The low rake concept should be less prone to slight inconsistencies in the air flow as there is less sealing that needs to be done. And even RB got issues with a unpredictable rear and a lot of spins almost each training - that should be a good indicator how fickle the high rake concept is at this point.

Thing is: I very much doubt that Williams can afford a change. And development for next season is limited anyway. And 2021 rules are vastly different anyway. The current barge boards are going to go and that will probably limit the freedom of designers to try different concepts.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

kalinka

pierrre

Moctecus wrote:

there has to be more to this than merely messing about with scrub radius. new will effect wheel vertical movement with castor rake than old

Big Tea

pierrre wrote:
23 Jul 2020, 18:40
Moctecus wrote:

there has to be more to this than merely messing about with scrub radius. new will effect wheel vertical movement with castor rake than old
The disturbing thing about it is that Latif seemed to be doing better against Russel than previously and had the older set up. Does this mean the new is a fail? We do not have the data the team does, but it could well be.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Mr Brooksy

Mr Brooksy wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 00:07
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, however I can't help but wonder if Williams should go back to the lower rake concept. The car we had under Symonds was much lower at the rear than post Symonds and was much more stable in high speed corners (even with a wind tunnel spitting out incorrect numbers) and much more competitive.

It's been on my mind since the pink Mercedes appeared in pre season testing. If I remember correctly there was an interview with one of their head designers (Andy Green maybe) or something that said that the high rake was something they struggle to master (obviously it has a fair bit too do with using the Merc gearbox that ultimately is designed around the low rake concept), bit it got me thinking... Mercedes has cleaned up since 14, they also are the only team to constantly stick with the low rake concept, yet as soon as racing point went to the same concept they have been far more consistent and quick. Now I'd be an idiot to assume racing points huge turn around is all in the rake, but considering the strong package we had under Symonds with low rake, racing points changes of fortune, Mercedes dominance... Is there something to it? IIRC the racing point guy said perfecting the high rake concept was extremely difficult as you needed to have sealed the floor amazingly well to reap the concepts rewards... But the all concurring Merc isn't at all handicapped by lacking this concept.

It reminds me of the interviews about the 14 and 15, Mercs nose tip concept, and people saying that it really wasn't that much of an advantage and that because almost all the other teams went the "thumb" tip route, Mercedes concept is likely to a bring negligible advantage... Yet in 2020, almost all teams have clambered over themselves to copy the Mercs nose concept... even though it took them 5 to 6 years to change their concept...

Anyway, its just been playing on my mind since pre season testing.

Hopefully some much more intelligent and knowledgeable Aero guru here can shed some light on my question.
So AMuS attempted to answer this question...

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... t-wechsel/
WilliamsF1 fan since 1989

Morteza

New mirror support
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare