2020 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 17-19

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
zibby43

Re: 2020 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 17-19

godlameroso wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 05:32
It's going to get progressively warmer, don't trust the weather forecast, temperatures will be in the low 30's track temperature in the mid 50's come race day. The new asphalt and the track is quite green, and will ramp up quickly as the weekend progresses. It may spit a bit on Friday, but I doubt it, the cloud cover and windy conditions will gradually give way to heat and clear skies.

It's going to be a tire management race unless you're feeling dicey and want to 2 stop.

Use up the softs to gain track position at the start, pit on lap 12 then again on lap 38-42, then go to the end. The one stoppers will be struggling at the end, and if there's a safety car all of that goes out the window, and timing the stop around it will be critical. But you can't expect one to come, like Bruce Lee said "biting is effective in close quarters combat, but, don't make a plan of biting...that is a very good way to lose your teeth".
Where are you getting the low 30s forecast for the ambient temperatures?

The past few days at the circuit, it's been slightly warmer than it's projected to be this weekend, and the track temperatures have been around 35 C.

If it's slightly cooler than that this weekend (which is what I've seen from the circuit-specific forecasts I've perused), I think the track temperatures will stay comfortably below 45 C. Particularly if there is cloud cover. I can only see the track temperatures getting up to the 50 C mark if the temperatures shoot up to the 31-32 C (ambient) range.

And lol at the Bruce Lee quote. That's a good one.

godlameroso

"It's going to get progressively warmer, don't trust the weather forecast, temperatures will be in the low 30's track temperature in the mid 50's come race day. "

I stick by my story, if I wasn't a weather forecast, then why would I be wearing this hat
Saishū kōnā

zibby43

godlameroso wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 05:56
"It's going to get progressively warmer, don't trust the weather forecast, temperatures will be in the low 30's track temperature in the mid 50's come race day. "

I stick by my story, if I wasn't a weather forecast, then why would I be wearing this hat
:lol:

PlatinumZealot

godlameroso wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 05:32
It's going to get progressively warmer, don't trust the weather forecast, temperatures will be in the low 30's track temperature in the mid 50's come race day. The new asphalt and the track is quite green, and will ramp up quickly as the weekend progresses. It may spit a bit on Friday, but I doubt it, the cloud cover and windy conditions will gradually give way to heat and clear skies.

It's going to be a tire management race unless you're feeling dicey and want to 2 stop.

Use up the softs to gain track position at the start, pit on lap 12 then again on lap 38-42, then go to the end. The one stoppers will be struggling at the end, and if there's a safety car all of that goes out the window, and timing the stop around it will be critical. But you can't expect one to come, like Bruce Lee said "biting is effective in close quarters combat, but, don't make a plan of biting...that is a very good way to lose your teeth".
They have to aim for the one stop if practice suggests a marginal two stop. I think HAM only two stopped last year because he really had no other choice, couldn't pass on track.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

godlameroso

Verstappen burned up his tires, he ended up having to pit twice in Austria, if he's going to burn up his tires he might as well commit to the two stopper. Sure he'll still come 3rd in normal conditions, but that 3rd place is essentially guaranteed, and a lot of learning can be done to develop the car. Plus having Bottas push Hamilton or Verstappen being there to capitalize on any mistake means they still have to push or risk losing points to the other.
Saishū kōnā

basti313

godlameroso wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 07:45
Verstappen burned up his tires, he ended up having to pit twice in Austria, if he's going to burn up his tires he might as well commit to the two stopper. ....
He is burning his tires, because his car is slower. He tried to go the pace of Merc and used the tires for this. This is a pure bet on something happening in his favor like technical problems for Merc or a SC.Or Merc not being able to overtake like last year in Hungary.
If he plans for three stopp from the beginning and still goes not more than the Merc pace he will end up ~25sec behind them.
Don`t russel the hamster!

SiLo

I actually think the two stop is quicker here. It's just that the risk of a safety car has them leaning towards a one stop.
Felipe Baby!

kalinka

Local forecast also predicts 26C for Sunday. It will be sunny, but because of cold and rainy Thursday and Friday , the nights will remain unusually cold ( around 14C ), so it will prevent fast warming up at Sunday > https://www.idokep.hu/idojaras/Budapest

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

Just_a_fan

Why? What's the point of sticking him in the car and taking time away from the real drivers? It's not like he is a future talent that they're bringing on and want to give some experience. Sadly, his rallying accident ended his F1 career.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Big Tea

Just_a_fan wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 15:50
Why? What's the point of sticking him in the car and taking time away from the real drivers? It's not like he is a future talent that they're bringing on and want to give some experience. Sadly, his rallying accident ended his F1 career.
Does he bring extra sponsorship?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Jolle

Big Tea wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 16:05
Just_a_fan wrote:
Probably some money in there, plus FP1 is mostly just driving to delta times to sync the sim. Not really interesting for the regular racing drivers, who, with a race every week, can use a bit of down time to let those muscles rest.

dans79

Jolle wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 16:10
Big Tea wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 16:05
Just_a_fan wrote:

Probably some money in there, plus FP1 is mostly just driving to delta times to sync the sim. Not really interesting for the regular racing drivers, who, with a race every week, can use a bit of down time to let those muscles rest.
It was reported that Orlen (his sponsor) put up roughly 10 million Euro last year.
197 104 103 7

PlatinumZealot

Just_a_fan wrote:
The car sucks and Kubica is good at feedback. And the sweet sweet Orlen money he brings.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

nzjrs

Just_a_fan wrote:
Either due to proximity or other reasons, it has a impressively large number of polish fans every year (I go regularly to the Hungarian GP). I can't say if Orlen has a stronger presence in Hungary, but maybe that is also true.