2020 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 17-19

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
FrukostScones

Re: 2020 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 17-19

Wynters wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 22:31
dans79 wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 22:08
Ricciardo seems to be out for blood on the Stroll pass. I don't think I've ever seen him this vocal in the press before about something.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15061 ... s-briefing
The only way Stroll could even get alongside Ricciardo was by going so fast he couldn't make the corner. In fact, 'couldn't make the corner' isn't doing Stroll's ineptness justice. He missed the track so badly he probably had to buy a ticket just to get back into the race course before he was allowed to rejoin the track.

I'm actually very glad this is being discussed because if it's legal then what does that mean for F1? It was an utterly ludicrous decision that, as far as I can recall, is completely without precedent. Is there any example of any overtake in the modern era that is similar to this one that didn't end up with a driver getting penalised?
legal?
RIC gave him all the space. before, during and after.
Of course it was clumsy, but was it a pass?
Too me it looked like poor judgement of two competitors.
So what happpened, RIC lost two places he would have lost anyway?
Crying for justice when it suits him well.
We call em crybaby over here.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

NathanOlder

So every driver is a crybaby as you put it. Ric is spot on with his opinion. Stroll run himself and Ric off the track, instant penalty. And Ric wasn't going to lose 2 positions, he had held Stroll off for a lot of laps. Lance did something crazy to try and pass. With only a few laps to go, maybe Lando would have got them both, who knows.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

FrukostScones

NathanOlder wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 23:26
So every driver is a crybaby as you put it. Ric is spot on with his opinion. Stroll run himself and Ric off the track, instant penalty. And Ric wasn't going to lose 2 positions, he had held Stroll off for a lot of laps. Lance did something crazy to try and pass. With only a few laps to go, maybe Lando would have got them both, who knows.
totally crazy of RIC to not check his mirrors.
then didn't even have the guts to show STR how a door is shut.
penalty is for what? running voluntarily off track to let STR past?
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

SmallSoldier

FrukostScones wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 23:26
Avoiding an accident an leave without any points? Wouldn’t have been smart move to “shut the door” and let Stroll take him out of the race

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just_a_fan

FrukostScones wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 20:41
DAS ist falsch.
Yeah, you lost that argument weeks ago. Move on. :roll:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan

FrukostScones wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 23:55

If he had shut the door they would have collided and that would have ended both their races. And resulted in a safety car, no doubt.

The penalty is for a dive bomb that resulted in both off track. If Ric had closed the door, they would have collided and Stroll would have been given a penalty for causing a collision. So...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Racer X

A headline i never taught I would read "Ferrari targets points at Hungarian GP".....
Ferrari hoping to be in the points I see... A top Ten finish... How the mighty have fallen.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

djos

z.topoln wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 22:23
dans79 wrote:Ricciardo seems to be out for blood on the Stroll pass. I don't think I've ever seen him this vocal in the press before about something.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15061 ... s-briefing
Rightly so, it was a pathetic move.

Sent from my Mi Note 10 using Tapatalk
Not kidding, I cant believe the stewards let him get away with that as A\ the move had zero chance of success and B\ he cost Daniel 2 positions as Daniel had to take avoiding action to prevent a crash!
"In downforce we trust"

Wynters

FrukostScones wrote:
How fondly we all remember Spa 2012. Personally, I can't believe that Alonso didn't check his mirrors and just left the door wide open for Grosjean and then Hamilon to go up the inside. Grosjean literally flew past him.
FrukostScones wrote:
I asked the same thing when Grosjean was penalised. Sure, he didn't make the corner but Alonso did leave the door open so, really, if anyone should've been penalised, it was Alonso. He just went to pieces under the pressure.

Nickel

Looks really similar to what ricciardo was penalized for last year in Paul Ricard. I could see why he might seek clarification.

ds.raikkonen

Given last year's data regarding 1 and 2 stop strategy and how it played into HAM's hand in the end, will VER and RB go for a 2 stopper this time around and Mercedes try to breach Q3 on mediums and then go for a longer first stint?

Still remember the wet 2006 Hungarian GP when Kimi took pole and retired due to mechanical issues and Alonso retired after a botched pit stop and a loose wheel, and JB's epic first win.

Weather too might play a major role as some rain is expected on race day. Dry weather will almost certainly lead to a processional race.
FRIDAY, JULY 17 – FP1 & FP2
Conditions: Cloudy with a chance of rain
Maximum temperature expected: 18 Celsius
Chance of rain: 80%

SATURDAY, JULY 18 – FP3 & QUALIFYING WEATHER
Conditions: Partly cloudy
Maximum temperature expected: 22 Celsius
Chance of rain: 20%

SUNDAY, JULY 19 – RACE WEATHER
Conditions: Scattered thunderstorms with light rain
Maximum temperature expected: 23 Celsius
Chance of rain: 60%
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

Alexf1

etusch wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 21:36
Alexf1 wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 21:27
If every team is putting it's maximum downforce on the car in Hungary I'm curious to see how much time the other engine manufacturers are losing out to the Mercedes engine on the straights.
one team's maximum is not same with other. what it will be able to show you?
Maybe not exactly but it will give a better indication of the power differences than Austria where some teams sacrifice DF for straight line speed. When everybody puts on all DF they got and you calculate what time they are losing on the straights it will be a more level playing field to draw conclusions from than the random hp numbers that are flying around recently.

Andres125sx

etusch wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 14:00
https://youtu.be/ZA5X5gEuXkw
=D> =D> =D>

Moore77

ds.raikkonen wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 05:30
Given last year's data regarding 1 and 2 stop strategy and how it played into HAM's hand in the end, will VER and RB go for a 2 stopper this time around and Mercedes try to breach Q3 on mediums and then go for a longer first stint?

Still remember the wet 2006 Hungarian GP when Kimi took pole and retired due to mechanical issues and Alonso retired after a botched pit stop and a loose wheel, and JB's epic first win.

Weather too might play a major role as some rain is expected on race day. Dry weather will almost certainly lead to a processional race.
FRIDAY, JULY 17 – FP1 & FP2
Conditions: Cloudy with a chance of rain
Maximum temperature expected: 18 Celsius
Chance of rain: 80%

SATURDAY, JULY 18 – FP3 & QUALIFYING WEATHER
Conditions: Partly cloudy
Maximum temperature expected: 22 Celsius
Chance of rain: 20%

SUNDAY, JULY 19 – RACE WEATHER
Conditions: Scattered thunderstorms with light rain
Maximum temperature expected: 23 Celsius
Chance of rain: 60%
The reason why 2 stopper played into Hamilton's hand was the race pace of Hamilton's Mercedes. When Hamilton emerged out after first pit stop, he was 6.8 seconds behind and in 4 laps, he was on Verstappen's tail. Mercedes had two options, the first one was conventional, which is to wait and attack Verstappen in the closing stages OR gamble and go for two stops and come out with much better tyres. Importantly, they could afford a two stopper at that stage as the 3rd placed Ferrari was more than a pit stop behind.

So for anyone to repeat that two stopper, the car has to be considerably faster and a second pit stop has to come in a window where it can afford a pit stop and come back out in the same position with clear track ahead.
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

Vasconia

PlatinumZealot wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 17:57
Mercedes should dominate here. I am predicting 4 tenths in qualifying. And 3 tenths in race pace.
Pole to flag victory.
And DAS what I'm sticking with!
Well, you can apply this to every single race of this season, but this track should show the strongest points of RB's car ,so I hope Verstappen can battle for the pole/victory. Still, Mercedes are favourite here.