2020 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 17-19

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
F1ern
F1ern

Re: 2020 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 17-19

f1316 wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 13:05
Well I’m fully braced for it to be a false dawn but that appears - in Leclerc’s hands at least (fastest in S3) - to be a step from Ferrari. If that’s just the fw and the floor I’d be surprised - so no confirmation (that I’ve seen anyway) of whether the gearbox casing and/or radiator layout have been changed.
I think they use the old high DF front wing, not the new one.

bosyber
bosyber

Given the nature of this track, that would seem likely. So then it's likely the floor does indeed work, and/or this track/his setup works on this track as well. Talking about setup, the Red Bulls do not seem to have found the right one yet, despite breaking curfew to work on the cars. I do expect to see them/Verstappen back on Sunday, but hard to see them fully fix it before qualifying. Will be interesting, esp. with the Merc. engine apparently having a better Q3 mode now, how Perez/Verstappen/Leclerc (/Vettel) figure, as well as Stroll/Vettel/Norris/Ricciardo/Albon.

PlatinumZealot

I think RedBull has not developed properly since winter testing. Inexperienced drivers lead them down the wrong path maybe?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

f1316
f1316

I mean, Red Bull have not been strong at the start of the season since, what, 2013 (and even then it took the change of tyre spec later in the year to really show it)?

It feels like, with Ferrari nowhere near the front, everyone’s looking to RB to take the fight to Mercedes and provide some kind of competition - whereas in recent previous years you already had Ferrari and Mercedes going at it - but for whatever reason their development curve is never there until approx mid season.

bosyber
bosyber

Indeed, that has seemed to be the (continuing) picture over the last years (maybe trend of their whole decade if you include 2009 them having to get the Double diffuser, and 2012 getting to grips with coanda and tyres, 2013 tyres again). Just saw in the team thread Red Bull was running preseason testing floor, nose, but that doesn't seem to have given them what they want, looking at how hard a FP3 it was.

TNTHead

Running with preseason parts indicates that the upgrade parts for RB16 are not working as expected, might be correlations issues, combined with their usual dial-in period at the start of the season.

Juzh

PlatinumZealot wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 13:30
Inexperienced drivers lead them down the wrong path maybe?
Verstappen inexerienced... give me some of that you got please

hollus

Lots of posts on the legality or not of the Racing Point car, AKA pink Mercedes. Quite understandable, it might be "the history of this weekend" (and the last, and the next).
I am not going to move or remove the posts made on it, too much work, they'll continue to drip in here anyways; but I am going to encourage all posters to continue that discussion in the Racing Point team thread:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28683&start=225
Where it has been going on in strength for days, where it is on topic and where it can, hopefully, collect al the parallel discussions currently going on.
Rivals, not enemies.

hudnut
hudnut

PlatinumZealot wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 13:30
I think RedBull has not developed properly since winter testing. Inexperienced drivers lead them down the wrong path maybe?
I don't get people still saying Verstappen is an inexperienced driver. This is his 5th year in F1. Maybe he just can't develop a car?

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Oh for crying out loud. Can we just stop this inane drivel.... sometimes not posting is better than posting for postings sake.

It’s quite clear the car has an issue which they’re struggling with. The car looks way too twitchy. Whether it’s flow detachment or something else, I’m sure they’re working on it. The car looks mighty in high speed corners but low/mid speed, it’s just way too nervous to have confidence in when you can put the power down

holeindalip
holeindalip

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 14:37
Oh for crying out loud. Can we just stop this inane drivel.... sometimes not posting is better than posting for postings sake.

It’s quite clear the car has an issue which they’re struggling with. The car looks way too twitchy. Whether it’s flow detachment or something else, I’m sure they’re working on it. The car looks mighty in high speed corners but low/mid speed, it’s just way too nervous to have confidence in when you can put the power down
But when in Austria it was the exact opposite. In slow/med corners Red Bull was king they where saying and mercs were king in high speed and now it’s the other way around?

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

No I’m saying that the car in corners generally is fast but it seems to have real issues after mid point/exit. I wonder if it’s power delivery related or flow detachment at certain “apparent wind” angles, that coupled with introducing power, seems to destabilise the rear

Wouter

hudnut wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 14:34

I don't get people still saying Verstappen is an inexperienced driver. This is his 5th year in F1.

Maybe he just can't develop a car?

ImageImageImage

Newey and his team are developping the car. Max only can say what he wants, thats it.
The Power of Dreams!

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

So......
W11 (1/2)
W10 (3/4)

Renault and going to be furious (as are others). :evil:

MtthsMlw

That's one improving track