Looks like we're racing Mugello in 2020

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Mogster

Re: Looks like we're racing Mugello in 2020

The Canadian event moved from its historical date in mid September to June because of low temperatures. 5°C wasn’t usual. I’d be surprised if Liberty would take the risk and I suspect Pirelli would probably get a bit jumpy. There are similar weather problems with Hockenheim around that early October date though.

I thought the Istanbul Park facilities were in a serious state of disrepair. It isn’t on the FIA list any more, the current owners probably wouldn’t be up to running such a large event at short notice either.

MtthsMlw

Here is it in Assetto Corsa

Manoah2u

Mogster wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 09:41
The Canadian event moved from its historical date in mid September to June because of low temperatures. 5°C wasn’t usual. I’d be surprised if Liberty would take the risk and I suspect Pirelli would probably get a bit jumpy. There are similar weather problems with Hockenheim around that early October date though.

I thought the Istanbul Park facilities were in a serious state of disrepair. It isn’t on the FIA list any more, the current owners probably wouldn’t be up to running such a large event at short notice either.
Montreal, QC, Canada
Weather averages

Month * High / Low(°C) * Rain

September 21°/13° 9 days
October 13°/6°10 days
November 6°/0°10 days

Yes, it's doubtfull, but not out of the realm of possibilities. Anything outside of October will definately not happen though.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Mogster

Really Hockenheim isn’t much better in October. 16°/7°/ 9 days rain. Timeanddate.com has the previous weather for specific dates.

Whatever, Liberty need to make a decision. The teams/circuits need to know what’s happening.

ENGINE TUNER

Jolle wrote:
MtthsMlw wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 14:25
Jolle wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 14:23

Thats normally the. San Marino GP
Uhh yeah right...
It's been a while since the last one. Fingers crossed.
Yes its been a while, but when it was, it was the San Marino GP, with the addition benefit that sponsor wise, anything goes because San Marino rules apply (a small mountain city with "special" rules, you can buy guns, Mussolini and Hitler beer there and no ban on tobacco sponsorship, at least last time I was there).
Didn't the principality of San Marino used to pay Bernie to name the race that?

foxmulder_ms

Does liberty still ask for huge amounts of money from the circuits for the "honor" to host a race?? I am talking about specifically this year/covid19 era. I mean that will explain why it is difficult to find venues. Otherwise, it should be really easy.

Big Tea

foxmulder_ms wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 22:27
Does liberty still ask for huge amounts of money from the circuits for the "honor" to host a race?? I am talking about specifically this year/covid19 era. I mean that will explain why it is difficult to find venues. Otherwise, it should be really easy.
I think most of them have had to cough up a few years in advance. Or at least promise to pay if the race goes ahead.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Mogster

There have been articles in the Italian press suggesting that the Italian circuits are paying the organizational costs for this years races while Silverstone drove a hard bargain and convinced Liberty to pay. As public money is involved in Italy this is obviously contentious...

Shrieker

914hald wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 23:36
What about Istanbul Park ? One of my all-time favorite circuits. Wasn't it dropped because of low spectators? No problem these days.
Exactly. Istanbul Park would be MEGA with these new cars.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Mogster

It’s a shame. Maybe Istanbul Parks layout could be used somewhere else, somewhere stable where holding an F1 race is actually viable.

El Scorchio

A bit off topic for a specific Mugello thread, but I’d love to see another race at Sepang if it were possible.

foxmulder_ms

Mogster wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 14:50
There have been articles in the Italian press suggesting that the Italian circuits are paying the organizational costs for this years races while Silverstone drove a hard bargain and convinced Liberty to pay. As public money is involved in Italy this is obviously contentious...

Interesting, I would have thought many places would happily cover the organization cost. It should be much smaller than the amount paid to Formula under normal circumstances. I am surprised that there are no more locations trying to get a race.

Just_a_fan

Mogster wrote:
Presumably Silverstone were in talks earlier when there was little else available to Liberty in terms of alternative venues. Things changed quite quickly in the following weeks, of course.

It makes a change for Silverstone to get an even break for once - they've been given a hard time by Bernie for years whilst other circuits were given money by countries wanting a race.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

CRazyLemon

foxmulder_ms wrote:
21 Jul 2020, 22:04
Mogster wrote:

Interesting, I would have thought many places would happily cover the organization cost. It should be much smaller than the amount paid to Formula under normal circumstances. I am surprised that there are no more locations trying to get a race.
I would think that would be true if you are allowed crowds, but fan free races do not have much upside other than showcasing the track.

Mogster

Yes. I think that’s why Zandvoort and Ricard removes themselves from the picture. They have contracts for a few races and want to maximise revenue from them. Closed door races this year would deduct from their contracted events.