Formula 1 2020 season wheel rim manufacturers battle

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
theriusDR3

Formula 1 2020 season wheel rim manufacturers battle

The infographic of F1 2020 season wheel rim manufacturers

Only four (4) wheel rim brands that currently involved in Formula One 2020 season (O.Z. Racing, Enkei, BBS and AppTech). O.Z. Racing supplying seven (7) teams in Formula One 2020 season. While Enkei still has a long-standing partnership with MCLAREN team since 1995 season. Williams partnered with AppTech since 2016 season after nine (9) years partnered with RAYS.

SiLo

Re: Formula 1 2020 season wheel rim manufacturers battle

BBS just went bankrupt as well. I'm looking forwards to seeing what they come up with when they move to the 18 inch rims.
Felipe Baby!

holeindalip

I thought haas machined their own wheels?

ENGINE TUNER

SiLo wrote:
22 Jul 2020, 12:51
BBS just went bankrupt as well. I'm looking forwards to seeing what they come up with when they move to the 18 inch rims.
RP->Aston Martin will probably switch to OZ to increase synergy with the Merc factory team. Unless of course some other wheel manufacturer wants to be a supplier for OEM Aston Martin cars and makes them a nice offer. Or maybe Stroll buys BBS since he's on a buying spree.

I wonder if moving away from standard/spec wheels, as was proposed for the new 18" tires, will be a good or bad move for 2022. One thing is for sure, wheel/tire mass will increase for the new formula. Increased rotating unsprung mass.

JordanMugen

This thread would be very interesting with pictures of the wheel designs. =D>

Apptech (Italy)

Enkei (Japan)

BBS (Germany)

OZ Racing (Italy)

[Am I missing something? Williams & Apptech and McLaren & Enkei are still using 'trick' finned wheels for tyre temperature management and aero, but not so for OZ Racing and Ferrari who are just using a simple design like the F2 wheel. :wtf: ]

OZ Racing (Italy)

Red Bull with the same simple design like Ferrari. :)

OZ Racing (Italy)

Mercedes are still using ribs on their rear wheels. The fashion of painting the wheels black is unfortunate, as the designs are rather hidden! :(
SiLo wrote:
22 Jul 2020, 12:51
I'm looking forwards to seeing what they come up with when they move to the 18 inch rims.
Does OZ have a contract to supply a control 18" wheel for 2022 regulations?