Nurburgring, Autodromo do Algarve, and Imola in 2020

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Just_a_fan

Re: Nurburgring, Autodromo do Algarve, and Imola in 2020

6 of 12 wrote:
24 Jul 2020, 16:44
3jawchuck wrote:
24 Jul 2020, 16:24
MtthsMlw wrote:
24 Jul 2020, 16:09
Interestingly Imola will be a two day event
Is that because there will be minimal (or no) support races?

I'd personally not mind F1 going to 2 day events anyway. Saturday practise, Sunday qualifying and race.
I totally support that
Same here. I don't see why they can't do a two day event. I would guess there's the whole "cram in as many sponsors/potential sponsors as you can" desire to keep three days, but other than that there's no reason why a practise session or two on Saturday, qualifying and race on Sunday. Or one practise and qualifying on Saturday, race on Sunday, perhaps with a half hour "warm up" in the morning like they used to do.

I'd be happy to see the teams allowed to run a quali setup and a race setup. Allow them to use the half hour warm up to check the changes.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

foxmulder_ms

It is a TV thing. A single 4-5 hour event in a single day vs 2x2hr in 2 days event. TV prefers the second because it captures more viewers and ads.

foxmulder_ms

El Scorchio wrote:
24 Jul 2020, 16:51
No races in USA, Brazil or Mexico. This year. Probably not a surprise! Just been confirmed.
That was obvious. I still wonder about Asia though. I think it can happen but calendar is already busy if they are adamant to finish it in early December. I think we will have 16 races this year with +3 ME races to the current 13.

FW17

Hoping for Sunday morning practice at Imola

Ringleheim

Regarding the comments concerning the 2 day weekend at Imola...

I think 2 day grand prix weekends are the future. Folks have talked about this for a long time, I think there is a lot of support behind the idea, and it makes a lot of sense from a variety of angles.

No need for 3 day weekends. I'd like to see the same amount of track time we have now maintained, or even increased....but over the course of 2 days and not 3.

Ringleheim

Just_a_fan wrote:
24 Jul 2020, 17:52
6 of 12 wrote:
3jawchuck wrote:
24 Jul 2020, 16:24

Is that because there will be minimal (or no) support races?

I'd personally not mind F1 going to 2 day events anyway. Saturday practise, Sunday qualifying and race.
I totally support that
Same here. I don't see why they can't do a two day event. I would guess there's the whole "cram in as many sponsors/potential sponsors as you can" desire to keep three days, but other than that there's no reason why a practise session or two on Saturday, qualifying and race on Sunday. Or one practise and qualifying on Saturday, race on Sunday, perhaps with a half hour "warm up" in the morning like they used to do.

I'd be happy to see the teams allowed to run a quali setup and a race setup. Allow them to use the half hour warm up to check the changes.
Well obviously, you lose a day's worth of ticket revenue at the races, but that is not where or how F1 makes its money and I don't think it's a concern to the powers that be.

dans79

Ringleheim wrote:
25 Jul 2020, 02:45
Just_a_fan wrote:
24 Jul 2020, 17:52
6 of 12 wrote:

I totally support that

Well obviously, you lose a day's worth of ticket revenue at the races, but that is not where or how F1 makes its money and I don't think it's a concern to the powers that be.
It's how the venues make money though, so F1 needs to be concerned about it. No venues no racing!
197 104 103 7

astracrazy

You would expect the circuits would have to pay less to f1 for the race if it is only two days.

To be honest though i wouldnt be surprised if tracks dont make a great deal from fridays anyway (excluding silverstone because its packed). At some races the grand stands are mostly empty on a friday and i doubt a lot of sponsor stuff goes on then either.

Jolle

I like that we’re going to circuits where teams don’t have a ton of date and/or a up to date model in their sims. This will make the human factor a bit bigger :-)

Mogster

Ringleheim wrote:
25 Jul 2020, 02:43
Regarding the comments concerning the 2 day weekend at Imola...

I think 2 day grand prix weekends are the future. Folks have talked about this for a long time, I think there is a lot of support behind the idea, and it makes a lot of sense from a variety of angles.

No need for 3 day weekends. I'd like to see the same amount of track time we have now maintained, or even increased....but over the course of 2 days and not 3.
Support races take up time so you need 3 days. If anything practice is more valuable for drivers at F3, F2 level as outside race weekends they get so little time to drive the cars these days.

Without support races I can see a 2 day event being viable, throw in F3, F2, Porsche cup then you need 3 days.

Just_a_fan

Mogster wrote:
25 Jul 2020, 13:21
Support races take up time so you need 3 days. If anything practice is more valuable for drivers at F3, F2 level as outside race weekends they get so little time to drive the cars these days.

Without support races I can see a 2 day event being viable, throw in F3, F2, Porsche cup then you need 3 days.
F1 uses up over half a day with practice sessions. They could have one practice session, a qualifying session and a race. That would fit in to two days along with the support races.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

MtthsMlw

240 minutes of practice for a ~90min race.
I think sooner or later we'll see a single 90min session ahead of Qualifying. Either Friday or Saturday.

Mogster

Just_a_fan wrote:
25 Jul 2020, 14:09
Mogster wrote:
25 Jul 2020, 13:21

F1 uses up over half a day with practice sessions. They could have one practice session, a qualifying session and a race. That would fit in to two days along with the support races.
New drivers get almost no time in the cars now. For some time I’ve been concerned about the effect of the current lack of testing on younger drivers. When are they supposed to learn? The simulator can’t replace real life.

Support races practice on Friday also.

Big Tea

FW17 wrote:
24 Jul 2020, 20:30
Hoping for Sunday morning practice at Imola
Dont think that wuld be possible as cars would be in park ferme conditions.
Also, I don't think the teams would like it as it would not give long to repair any damage.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

notsofast

Perhaps we need to revisit the whole parc ferme thing. Most of the time now, the difference between qualifying pace and race pace is the "party mode". Perhaps it doesn't matter anymore whether cars are kept in parc ferme. I wouldn't mind seeing a return to the Sunday Morning Warmup on tracks without support races.