HALO Approved for 2018

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Schuttelberg

Re: HALO Approved for 2018

siskue2005 wrote:
26 Jul 2020, 06:28
El Scorchio wrote:
26 Jul 2020, 03:42
The Aero screen is absolute garbage. Those indy cars now look like they've got rubbishy cartoon faces and eyes like in the film 'cars'.
The halo may be not ideal either but it's ten times better looking than the other monstrosity.
The aero screen looks bad coz it is just a bolt on device over the already existing car and chassis

Instead we should be working on something like this which is perfectly integrated to the entire car, we can cut off the top part elegantly to make to open
https://www.topgear.com/sites/default/f ... k=K13v3Bbs
Red Bull stated in 2018 that after a start this was the end goal on a F1 car. If the Halo can't prevent things like dampers etc but the aero can, I see more value in it. From someone who has been there with both, I tend to value that person's opinion.
In my personal opinion, the aero looks a million times better than the horrendous Halo.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Andres125sx

El Scorchio wrote:
26 Jul 2020, 12:40
siskue2005 wrote:
26 Jul 2020, 06:28
El Scorchio wrote:
26 Jul 2020, 03:42
The Aero screen is absolute garbage. Those indy cars now look like they've got rubbishy cartoon faces and eyes like in the film 'cars'.
The halo may be not ideal either but it's ten times better looking than the other monstrosity.
The aero screen looks bad coz it is just a bolt on device over the already existing car and chassis

Instead we should be working on something like this which is perfectly integrated to the entire car, we can cut off the top part elegantly to make to open
https://www.topgear.com/sites/default/f ... k=K13v3Bbs
TBH I really hate that as well! I get that safety is the issue and it’s probably inevitable in some way, but F1 with an (almost) enclosed cockpit just wouldn’t be F1 the same for me. It would almost be like not having open wheels or not having front wings. I can definitely see it in those rubbish looking gimmicky Formula E cars but I hope not F1.
F1 had no wings for decades. And there have been F1 cars wich were not open wheelers before, not even that would be new.

What people think F1 is about frequently is very different to what F1 really is. Name anything you think is F1 dna, and I´ll point you to some F1 car wich didn´t have that, period. Except that wich defines a car obviously :P

What I mean is F1 evolve, it´s been evolving for decades, sometimes with dramatic changes, and if we want to stop that evolution then F1 will stop being F1 anymore. To be the pinnacle of motorsport evolution is a must, even if people dislike it

Wings??? What the hell is that? F1 is about cars, not planes!

Xwang

I would like to see if the shields used in Formula 1 Powerboat World Championship (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_1 ... ampionship) can be used/adapted. From the aesthetic point of view IMHO they are way better than HALO or aero-screen.

FW17

F1 or any other series does not need the poly carbonate shield to stop debris.

A simple grid of kevlar running between halo and monocoque should do the job.

If the poly carbonate windshield is used for other purposes such as a HUD with car and real time track data that would be useful. But HUD can be incorporated into the helmet visor so still the windshield would be pointless.

Zynerji

With the freeze on current development (kinda) for 2022, is it time to allow the teams to develop the HALO now, away from the spec piece? still meet all strength requirements and such, but just move away from the clunky-huge thing it is?

hollus

Wouldn't a grid of kevlar be somewhat intrusive to view? I honestly don't know, maybe if the material is sparse enough and out of focus enough it would become de facto invisible, the same way that the central pillar doesn't seem to bother the drivers at all.
Rivals, not enemies.

Zynerji

hollus wrote:
27 Jul 2020, 21:21
Wouldn't a grid of kevlar be somewhat intrusive to view? I honestly don't know, maybe if the material is sparse enough and out of focus enough it would become de facto invisible, the same way that the central pillar doesn't seem to bother the drivers at all.
I would expect it would end up looking like a monofilament gill net stretched tight around the halo opening. It might give sparkle reflections, but wouldn't terribly interfere as the focal.point would be much further away.

Jolle

Zynerji wrote:
27 Jul 2020, 21:49
hollus wrote:
I would expect it would end up looking like a monofilament gill net stretched tight around the halo opening. It might give sparkle reflections, but wouldn't terribly interfere as the focal.point would be much further away.
It would probably fill up with pieces of rubber quite quickly.

Zynerji

Jolle wrote:
27 Jul 2020, 23:16
Zynerji wrote:
27 Jul 2020, 21:49
hollus wrote:
It would probably fill up with pieces of rubber quite quickly.
Depends on the sizing, but if you are trying to stop bolts, anything that size will also get collected.

El Scorchio

Wouldn’t an aero shield get covered in crap over the course of a race as well? Can’t have tear offs like on a helmet. I presume the teams won’t want to have some mechanic standing there with a squeegee at pit stops getting water everywhere.

What happens if oil sprays all over it? How is the driver going to clean that at high speed?

Mainly I’m just being a snob about it like I m my last post but there are some practical issues that need sorting as well.

Zynerji

El Scorchio wrote:
28 Jul 2020, 01:10
Wouldn’t an aero shield get covered in crap over the course of a race as well? Can’t have tear offs like on a helmet. I presume the teams won’t want to have some mechanic standing there with a squeegee at pit stops getting water everywhere.

What happens if oil sprays all over it? How is the driver going to clean that at high speed?

Mainly I’m just being a snob about it like I m my last post but there are some practical issues that need sorting as well.

Windscreens can have tear-offs. Pit changed tho. Net could collect rubber, but would mostly simply deflect due to its curved nature.

I dunno. A tight, mono-filament (dunno material, but I know there's some crazy tensile stuff out there now) gill net seems like the obvious choice for weight, strength, visibility, drag, conditions (rain) and added amount of safety.

It would be interesting to see some test vids.

I'm worried about the birds tho...😪
Last edited by Zynerji on 28 Jul 2020, 02:21, edited 1 time in total.

bill shoe

El Scorchio wrote:
28 Jul 2020, 01:10

Here is the easiest solution: Witness Dale Earnhardt (U.S. NASCAR driver) clean his own windshield as he drives down pit road after a pit stop. Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zQUQ-un5zE.

I don't think I'm first to post this at GPTechnical, but I couldn't find the previous link.

FW17

I am not sure if a grid or a vertical grid only would affect vision.

bucker

Would Grosjean escape from this today? I think not. Thanks for Halo

subcritical71

bucker wrote:
29 Nov 2020, 17:19
https://www.racefans.net/wp-content/upl ... _HiRes.jpg

Would Grosjean escape from this today? I think not. Thanks for Halo
Hard to tell which would have been better since there is no direct comparison to the IndyCar design. If the windscreen stayed intact during the impact it may have prevented fire from entering the cockpit and made the 26 seconds engulfed in a fireball a little less scary. One view of Grosjean walking towards the medical car seemed to show the left side of his helmet and visor to be melted, it may (or may not) have been nice to have an additional sacrificial barrier between the driver and the fire.