[ 2020 ] Scuderia Ferrari - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
MachineCo.

Re: [ 2020 ] Scuderia Ferrari - Ferrari

I thought I was on the Ferrari thread. Where did that go?

hape

I wonder were the administrators are. All this nonsense of Mercedes being so much better can go somewhere else please? It’s Scuderia Ferrar thread.

ME4ME

Ignoring the topic of Ferrari's currect performance for a second, the major question that is still up in the air is will there be a protest or legal action from the other teams against Ferrari and/or the FIA. It all quite down when the pandemic put a hold on regular Formula 1 business, the teams had to cooperate to get things done to re-start the season. But since then, the topic has regained momentum it seems. Especially Mercedes as they've re-stated that they're not happy, and equally so Red Bull is extremely displeased.

The reason why I don't expect this to go away is next years budget-cap. How on earth are teams going to trust the FIA to fairly police that. As long as the FIA remains self-empowered to make non-disclosed settlements with a team there will be distrust. Besides that they can go into agreement with these secret deals, they also do not need to publicise that any deal is made, according to their own ruling framework. This is totally nuts, and I expect that teams will use Ferrari
's deal as a case to tear this selfmade FIA framework down.

Binotto might yet still have the most difficult task in front of him. It might not go public but surely Wolff and Horner, as well as Abiteboul and others will put a lot of pressure on the Ferrari to release the information, and equally so put pressure on the FIA to re-write their framework and disallow all the secrecy. If not within the year, this surely will happen at some point especially if "FIA favorites Ferrari" suddenly make massive progress under the cost cap.

Xwang

ME4ME wrote:
25 Jul 2020, 17:00
Ignoring the topic of Ferrari's currect performance for a second, the major question that is still up in the air is will there be a protest or legal action from the other teams against Ferrari and/or the FIA. It all quite down when the pandemic put a hold on regular Formula 1 business, the teams had to cooperate to get things done to re-start the season. But since then, the topic has regained momentum it seems. Especially Mercedes as they've re-stated that they're not happy, and equally so Red Bull is extremely displeased.

The reason why I don't expect this to go away is next years budget-cap. How on earth are teams going to trust the FIA to fairly police that. As long as the FIA remains self-empowered to make non-disclosed settlements with a team there will be distrust. Besides that they can go into agreement with these secret deals, they also do not need to publicise that any deal is made, according to their own ruling framework. This is totally nuts, and I expect that teams will use Ferrari

Binotto might yet still have the most difficult task in front of him. It might not go public but surely Wolff and Horner, as well as Abiteboul and others will put a lot of pressure on the Ferrari to release the information, and equally so put pressure on the FIA to re-write their framework and disallow all the secrecy. If not within the year, this surely will happen at some point especially if "FIA favorites Ferrari" suddenly make massive progress under the cost cap.
Everything can happen, but usually if you have a rule (in this case the possibility for the FIA to make secret deals as stated in FIA's framework) and then you change the rule, what has been done before the rule is changed is untouched by the change of the rule (in this case if FIA's framework is modified in the future to disallow all the secrecy, the new way of doing investigations will apply to new cases not to old ones and the secret deals already done will continue to be valid otherwise what kind of credibility FIA will have if it makes deal and then breaks them? Pacta sunt servanda!).

Big Tea

ME4ME wrote:
25 Jul 2020, 17:00

Will probably have to wait until someone in Ferrari gets fired to spill the beans. Anything else will just be hearsay.
Someone from fia had a few drinks with XXX and said, or someone from Ferrari dis and told them YYY is all worthless unless the actual person steps up and says it.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

ME4ME

Absolutely. I don't think the alleged engine cheat is the main focus here, merely the means of teams forcing the FIA to change their framework/policy. Without a change that forbids secret deals, the FIA has no credibilty and paranoia will set in quickly come 2021.

Big Tea

ME4ME wrote:
25 Jul 2020, 19:09
Absolutely. I don't think the alleged engine cheat is the main focus here, merely the means of teams forcing the FIA to change their framework/policy. Without a change that forbids secret deals, the FIA has no credibilty and paranoia will set in quickly come 2021.
Keeping it going is upsetting the day-to-day work the teams have to do. Not saying there was anything wrong, but it would be better all round if it had all come to light and a line drawn under it to get on with their season.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Wynters

Marc Priestly's take on the recent Gazzetta dello sport (I think?) interview with John Elkann. Thoughts on both Vettel and on the near future of Ferrari.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1MlWq_O37Q

Macklaren

Good to see Elkann come out and ease pressure on the team -- I had suggested they do something similar a month ago (sure Elkann read my comment on F1T and decided it was a great idea :D )

On a serious note, the Vettel move makes more sense now. If they knew that they were not going to win for 2 years anyway, why pay a superstar salary and have him frustrated? Esp. when their prize money is going to fall as well...

ME4ME

I can also see that they wanted to go a different route driver-wise than keeping Sebastian Vettel, after realizing in pre-season testing that their 2020 and 2021 seasons where a write-off.

What they must do though to succeed in 2022 and forward, is indeed write off 20 and 21. They can't keep investing loads of resources into a chanceless scenario. Not in 21 anyway, 2020 is different since they can still spend whatever resources they like. Also what they can and must do, and very quickly, is sort out that PU. Otherwise they'll live with that deficit until 2026 or whatever it will be.

Also, I can see Binotto lead the team, but not by himself. It seems he is a rather brilliant technical guy, and it seems he wants to win through excellence on-track. But he'll need more than that. Someone needs to support him politically and manage other aspects of the team.

Lastly, for the love of god they should make some major changes to the trackside strategy team. Either get some people from Red Bull or Mercedes, or employ some bright ambitious junior strategist. They really should take inspiration from how Norris, Max or Lewis are coached throughout a race.

selvam_e2002

The car i.e. the engine and power unit going to be the same. They cannot simply write off 2020 and 2021. They need to improve through 2020 and 2021 season to succeeded in 2022.

the only rule change would be for Aero part not on engine and power unit. They are down with both engine and power unit. They should improve it through the season.

As of current situation, it is very difficult to gain 1 second. They are lagging in development... I would say 2 years behind. So, it is very difficult for them to come up top. They could not do it in 2009 and 2010 to 2013. So, for ferrari difficult time ahead.

And on final note: The message from John Elkann is a warning. i.e. he gave Binotto dead line for his future in Ferrari till 2022, if he could not achieve what ferrari need in 2022, he will be sacked and they may even depormote Lecrec to Alfa.

JPBD1990

selvam_e2002 wrote:
28 Jul 2020, 18:43
The car i.e. the engine and power unit going to be the same. They cannot simply write off 2020 and 2021. They need to improve through 2020 and 2021 season to succeeded in 2022.

the only rule change would be for Aero part not on engine and power unit. They are down with both engine and power unit. They should improve it through the season.

As of current situation, it is very difficult to gain 1 second. They are lagging in development... I would say 2 years behind. So, it is very difficult for them to come up top. They could not do it in 2009 and 2010 to 2013. So, for ferrari difficult time ahead.

And on final note: The message from John Elkann is a warning. i.e. he gave Binotto dead line for his future in Ferrari till 2022, if he could not achieve what ferrari need in 2022, he will be sacked and they may even depormote Lecrec to Alfa.
They won’t be demoting leclerc anytime soon.
Also I think you misunderstand ‘writing off’ of seasons. It’s not as if they stop work and start dreaming up the 2022 car. They can use this year to get correlation between CFD/wind tunnel and track on point. They can try heaps of different things with the front wing (similar to Renault in 2018) to understand its impact as it changes of the rest of the car, etc, to again strengthen their general understanding of WHY and HOW they ended up in this situation. While the rules are changing in ‘22, all of that knowledge and those lessons carry over. They don’t simply forget this car and leave it exactly as-is for 2 years.

Don’t forget that while we ‘fans’ might like to label Ferrari incompetent or say things like “I can’t believe they’d do this or that” - they’re Ferrari. There is a lot of knowledge and skill there, and none of them are dumb enough to do that.

elf341

I don't think they have the best people. And when they do, they let them slip through their fingers.

Guys like Aldo Costa, James Allison, Nikolas Tombazis. They blame it on the guy and then let disappear to competitors.

It shouldn't escape Ferrari's attention that Brawn was scooping up all the rejected TDs for Mercedes in 2011/2012 - everybody was crying "too many cooks", but somehow it created the greatest dominance. Maybe creating that structure is a thing that only Brawn can do (IIRC, Mercedes have still not deviated from the initial structure put in place by Brawn, apart from the split Toto/Paddy roles)

If I was Ferrari I would literally buy all the top guys from the competition. Starting with James Vowles. Why drop 20 million on a driver? Send $1m to James Vowles, $1m to Mark Ellis, $1m to Giles Wood, $1m to Peter Promodrou. Poaching from Red Bull was what Mercedes were doing in 2013. Even if you do fail to create cohesion, at least you weakened your competitors, that's got to be worth a few tenths.

If your car is 1 second a lap faster, you don't need a Lewis Hamilton to bring home the championship. Drivers overpaid, engineers underpaid IMO!

MtthsMlw

Ferrari will do their second "filming day" next wednesday in between the two races at Silverstone.
Ofc just for marketing reasons :wink:

JordanMugen

Macklaren wrote:
28 Jul 2020, 17:31
On a serious note, the Vettel move makes more sense now. If they knew that they were not going to win for 2 years anyway, why pay a superstar salary and have him frustrated? Esp. when their prize money is going to fall as well...
Do you think Sainz was conned, and Ferrari did not tell Sainz that Ferrari expected to have no more than the third best car if they are lucky? :shock: