COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Shrieker

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

I've been hearing some rumours about Istanbul Park. Are they substantiated ?
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Dr. Acula

El Scorchio wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 11:13
2021 would seem to hinge on a vaccine being available. Let’s face it, I don’t think this is going to blow itself out without one looking at the situation developing in many countries.

Even if said vaccine isn’t widely available in some countries by the time they host next year, the F1 circus will have been able to sort themselves out, but I’m not sure what sort of moral questions that asks if you’re all immune and turning up to put on a sporting event to a country where millions of people might still be suffering or living in isolation. I’m assuming Europe will vaccinate fairly quickly thanks to finance and infrastructure continent wide but I’m not so sure some other countries or regions on the calendar will have that luxury.
I personelly don't have high hopes for a vaccine. There were several confirmed cases of people who got infected with Covid-19 more than once. Which basically means you apparently don't build up a proper immunity to it. But a vaccine actually builds on exactly this effect. The mayority of vaccines are for deseases you only can get once in a life time anyway because if you survive them, you're immune to them afterwards. The common flu vaccine is already a bit of a lottery each year because it may work or it doesn't help at all because it was a different flu virus they developed the vaccine for or the virus already mutated to much. Also not every vaccine works for every person. I for instance was vaccinated against measels as a kid, got them anyway.

Also the amount of vaccination needed shouldn't be underestimated. Let's say we vaccinate the industrialized countries first. That's about 4 billion people. Lets say we produce 100 ampules of vaccine every second, you would still need more then a year to produce enough vaccine in this case.

Just_a_fan

Shrieker wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 19:12
I've been hearing some rumours about Istanbul Park. Are they substantiated ?
I hope so! T8 with these cars will be epic.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

El Scorchio

Dr. Acula wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 19:31
El Scorchio wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 11:13
2021 would seem to hinge on a vaccine being available. Let’s face it, I don’t think this is going to blow itself out without one looking at the situation developing in many countries.

Even if said vaccine isn’t widely available in some countries by the time they host next year, the F1 circus will have been able to sort themselves out, but I’m not sure what sort of moral questions that asks if you’re all immune and turning up to put on a sporting event to a country where millions of people might still be suffering or living in isolation. I’m assuming Europe will vaccinate fairly quickly thanks to finance and infrastructure continent wide but I’m not so sure some other countries or regions on the calendar will have that luxury.
I personelly don't have high hopes for a vaccine. There were several confirmed cases of people who got infected with Covid-19 more than once. Which basically means you apparently don't build up a proper immunity to it. But a vaccine actually builds on exactly this effect. The mayority of vaccines are for deseases you only can get once in a life time anyway because if you survive them, you're immune to them afterwards. The common flu vaccine is already a bit of a lottery each year because it may work or it doesn't help at all because it was a different flu virus they developed the vaccine for or the virus already mutated to much. Also not every vaccine works for every person. I for instance was vaccinated against measels as a kid, got them anyway.

Also the amount of vaccination needed shouldn't be underestimated. Let's say we vaccinate the industrialized countries first. That's about 4 billion people. Lets say we produce 100 ampules of vaccine every second, you would still need more then a year to produce enough vaccine in this case.
Yup, definitely some valid thoughts! I know there are some encouraging results in trials to date so fingers crossed, but you are right of course. It may not work. The one plus is the lack of big mutation so far which is very helpful. It might well be that the vaccine has to be an annual booster. Is it definitely confirmed you can get it twice? I've heard rumours but no 100% instances, as it could be down to bad testing etc etc.

The big one you hit on is availability. There's no doubt that it'll be available to some way before others. I'd imagine F1 would make sure they privately get their hands on enough to ensure their business. I work for a huge global company so I am assuming we do the same and I'll be lucky enough to get vaccinated via private healthcare quite quickly. I think in Europe and the developed world it'll happen much quicker for various reasons (sadly monetary ones first and foremost) so we will probably have this weird 'haves and have nots' situation globally.

it's a bit grotesque to take the F1 circus for example to China or Brazil where all associated people have been vaccinated and are fine, but right in the midst of a horrific pandemic claiming lives, just for the sake of putting on a global show. Going to be interesting to see what happens.

I think IF a vaccine is effective we may have BAU at the European races, and probably USA, Canada, Australia, Middle East, Japan etc. as best case scenario but who knows?

The other game changer of course could be a treatment which transforms this into a minor illness for all rather than a killer for some.

e30ernest

Read a report that Perez just tested positive for Covid19 so he will not be participating on the British GP. I'm surprised that even after all the measures in place, a driver would still catch it.

bosyber

There are reports (and apparently deleted social media from his wife?) that he was in Mexico with family,fans, and in Italy holiday last weeks, apparently w/o much social distancing, so clearly those measures, which can only be effectively policed during the weekend, are not really watertight.

Just_a_fan

El Scorchio wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 20:05

The other game changer of course could be a treatment which transforms this into a minor illness for all rather than a killer for some.
There is a suggestion, based on research, that another human corona virus - HCoV-OC43, which originated in cattle - caused the "Russian Flu" pandemic in 1889/90 which killed over a 1 million people. Apparently "they" have worked out that this was the time that the virus moved from cattle to humans.

HCoV-OC43 is now known as one of 4 human corona viruses that cause some common cold outbreaks.

So it's entirely possible/likely that humans will just adapt to the virus and just end up living with it. It will kill off some old people and some others, but the young will grow up with it and their bodies will learn to deal with it.

If a vaccine is developed for COVID19, it'll be the first time with a human corona virus.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Morteza

So after Hungary he had gone to Mexico to see his mom who had an accident.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

adrianjordan

Morteza wrote:
31 Jul 2020, 11:16
So after Hungary he had gone to Mexico to see his mom who had an accident.
https://twitter.com/SChecoPerez/status/ ... 22657?s=19
If the reports are to be believed then he wasn't adhering to social distancing rules though while he was there.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

PlatinumZealot

Just_a_fan wrote:
31 Jul 2020, 08:46
El Scorchio wrote:

There is a suggestion, based on research, that another human corona virus - HCoV-OC43, which originated in cattle - caused the "Russian Flu" pandemic in 1889/90 which killed over a 1 million people. Apparently "they" have worked out that this was the time that the virus moved from cattle to humans.

HCoV-OC43 is now known as one of 4 human corona viruses that cause some common cold outbreaks.

So it's entirely possible/likely that humans will just adapt to the virus and just end up living with it. It will kill off some old people and some others, but the young will grow up with it and their bodies will learn to deal with it.

If a vaccine is developed for COVID19, it'll be the first time with a human corona virus.
New research is showing that those who have the virus have signs of damage in their heart muscles. Even when asymptomatic. It is not know yet if it is acute or chronic... Best thing to try not to get this virus. We need to fight. We strong need leadership in every country and we can truly get rid of it.

Sad to say but Wweak leadership is showing in these so called great Nations.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

adrianjordan

PlatinumZealot wrote:
31 Jul 2020, 15:19
Just_a_fan wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:

New research is showing that those who have the virus have signs of damage in their heart muscles. Even when asymptomatic. It is not know yet if it is acute or chronic... Best thing to try not to get this virus. We need to fight. We strong need leadership in every country and we can truly get rid of it.

Some patients will get damage to their heart muscles, lungs, kidneys etc. Any serious infection can cause multi organ damage. What we don't know is how many patients will have such damage.

I had Covid-19 back in late March and I still haven't gotten my full fitness back....BUT...is that due to Covid, or is it due to lockdown meaning that I'm not as active AND my fitness level not being what it was meaning that I don't feel as inclined to exercise?

Well, from Monday I start a new diet and exercise regime, so we'll see how that goes!!

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

NathanOlder

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:

All countries should take the China approach and lock everyone in with only a few allowed out to get supplies for their community. But the leaders in countries like UK, US ect are not allowed to do that. the people there wont listen. I mean, I've seen people protesting because the don't want to wear a mask in public!!! What chance have we got of people actually listening to what the government say. When they break the rules, the government are powerless to do whats needed as its againsts some human rights ect
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

adrianjordan

NathanOlder wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 12:02
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

All countries should take the China approach and lock everyone in with only a few allowed out to get supplies for their community. But the leaders in countries like UK, US ect are not allowed to do that. the people there wont listen. I mean, I've seen people protesting because the don't want to wear a mask in public!!! What chance have we got of people actually listening to what the government say. When they break the rules, the government are powerless to do whats needed as its againsts some human rights ect
Yeah, lots of stupid people around in the UK as well as the US.

I was actually contacted by someone on Facebook organising a mass protest against NHS staff being left out of the public pay announcement... She couldn't understand why I was angry about a mass gathering in support of the NHS!!

nzjrs

I've been bemused the last week or so in the UK as now people finally seem to be wearing masks. Who knew that all it would take is the government asking them, with a slightly stronger voice, to do so.

They are 4 months late compared to most countries, but one has to be happy with small victories.

El Scorchio

It wasn't compulsory aside from on public transport until last week, I believe. (24th July, I think.)
Still there are a number of people who refuse for whatever reason. (selfishness? ignorance? 'personal freedom'?)