[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
the EDGE

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

PhillipM wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 16:29
the EDGE wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 16:26
Any idea’s when these ‘interesting new shapes’ will be on the car?

I’m think a new nose

I doubt it’s f-wing or bargeboards because they’ve been updated this week. Rear wings change from track to track and that leaves the floor or diffuser, or maybe break ducts, but I would have though they could have brought the break ducts to the car quicker than this
Rear diffuser the week after next - just tweaks to match the new front end. Manufacturing parts is lagging way behind the design team at the minute with the lockdown problems.
Thanks, not sure how a rear diffuser could have interesting new shapes, but I’ll take your word on it... only because you are PhillipM😉

Xero

Its easy to explain, Mercedes have just cracked these regulations. Full credit to them. We're making small improvements, but others are too. Even Mercedes in their dominant position has room for improvement. We can be thankful that a major regulation change is coming in 2022, will definitely give us a bit of a reset.

mwillems

fouad1979 wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 16:29
Macklaren wrote:
fouad1979 wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 16:25

No 2021 is dead season with same rules maybe 2022 i think they had the best engineers in the f1 and even more
Yeah but McL will have the best of a Merc engine which will put them in front of RP and maybe even RBR
Yes ur right but do u think that mercedes advantage is only power for me no their aero is very impressive
I completely agree, but I do think we will be closer to them. Obviously RP can change their car so they will be up there too, but it will be interesting to see how close we can get to RB. This year is a development war through the whole season to get a strong car ready for next year. RP will just buy the new bits if that loophole doesn't get closed, but I'd like to think it will.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Darth-Piekus

That Mercedes has found more time than all the rest during the winter even from us. We seem to be further than them than last year. I might be mistaken though.

PhillipM

the EDGE wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 16:37
Thanks, not sure how a rear diffuser could have interesting new shapes, but I’ll take your word on it... only because you are PhillipM😉
There's probably other stuff in the pipeline, I only hear about the odd bits now and again. Any small parts going out for next weekend would just be taken straight to the track by factory staff so we don't get to see what's going through shipping :lol:
Last edited by PhillipM on 01 Aug 2020, 16:46, edited 1 time in total.

fouad1979

This season just remind me Mansel with 1992 williams renault even if Lewis is a way better driver

Ground Effect

fouad1979 wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 16:44
This season just remind me Mansel with 1992 williams renault even if Lewis is a way better driver
And Bottas is more competitive than Patrese, no disrespect to Patrese...
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Darth-Piekus

Unless you are sarcastic that is blasphemy. Mansell and Patrese are much better drivers that have driven on a more competitive era with harder to control cars and on an era who drivers played most of the role.

fouad1979

Darth-Piekus wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 17:05
Unless you are sarcastic that is blasphemy. Mansell and Patrese are much better drivers that have driven on a more competitive era with harder to control cars.
Man patrese was destroyed by Michael and Mansel sacked by williams cause he was not so competitive and focus

the EDGE

Correct me if I’m wrong , but aren’t McLaren & Renault the only cars in top 10 starting on the softs tomorrow?

It makes me wonder whether McLaren need their confidence to catch-up with their performance and try the mediums in Q2 occasionally

SmallSoldier

JRindt wrote:Aaarrrgh. I don’t know why we didn’t go for mediums in first Q2 run. We had the pace to match stroll. Honestly, the team needs to stop playing it too safe. Hope we can mug stroll and Leclerc off the line and keep them behind till 1st pitstops.
Mediums and potentially start P11 back... Nah, we don’t have the extra pace yet to pull that one off... Stroll could have easily missed Q3... Right call to go for Soft and good starting positions for tomorrow.

The degradation we saw yesterday in Free Practice will be a little different tomorrow with a cooler track, not ideal to start on Softs, but it’s better than starting behind the midfield train.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Macklaren

the EDGE wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 17:13
Correct me if I’m wrong , but aren’t McLaren & Renault the only cars in top 10 starting on the softs tomorrow?

It makes me wonder whether McLaren need their confidence to catch-up with their performance and try the mediums in Q2 occasionally
I don't know...Pirelli says starting on Medium is only the 3rd quickest strategy here. Even two-stopping is supposed to be quicker than that. We will see...

SmallSoldier

PhillipM wrote:
the EDGE wrote:
Any idea’s when these ‘interesting new shapes’ will be on the car?

I’m think a new nose

I doubt it’s f-wing or bargeboards because they’ve been updated this week. Rear wings change from track to track and that leaves the floor or diffuser, or maybe break ducts, but I would have though they could have brought the break ducts to the car quicker than this
Rear diffuser the week after next - just tweaks to match the new front end. Manufacturing parts is lagging way behind the design team at the minute with the lockdown problems.
It’s interesting how they are working on the next iteration of updates before the current batch hasn’t even made it to the car yet... Guess that’s why good correlation is such a huge commodity right now for the teams since you can improve on the previous update expecting the current ones to work once bolted in the car.

SmallSoldier

Macklaren wrote:
the EDGE wrote:

I don't know...Pirelli says starting on Medium is only the 3rd quickest strategy here. Even two-stopping is supposed to be quicker than that. We will see...
Having a brand new set of mediums for the race could also be an advantage... a Qualifying lap should take a good amount of life out of the tires since they have them at the limit, therefore potentially you have a couple more laps in storage with the mediums during the race and that could make a difference in terms of pace.

proteus

SmallSoldier wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 17:26
Macklaren wrote:
the EDGE wrote:

Having a brand new set of mediums for the race could also be an advantage... a Qualifying lap should take a good amount of life out of the tires since they have them at the limit, therefore potentially you have a couple more laps in storage with the mediums during the race and that could make a difference in terms of pace.

Well, you can burn mediums in traffic quite quickly as well.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows