[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
User avatar
JRindt
7
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:16 pm

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

The ending was properly hilarious. A satire on Lewis perhaps 😂


User avatar
Darth-Piekus
26
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

fouad1979 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:09 pm
Darth-Piekus wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:05 pm
Unless you are sarcastic that is blasphemy. Mansell and Patrese are much better drivers that have driven on a more competitive era with harder to control cars.
Man patrese was destroyed by Michael and Mansel sacked by williams cause he was not so competitive and focus
Patrese was old by that time and what are you talking about? Mansell won the 1991 championship and he was fairly ok in 1992. Many claim that Mansell was unlucky like Alonso getting to teams when they were on their last legs or not competitive like the first time on Williams and on Lotus and when he replaced Hakkinen on Mclaren.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier
154
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:54 am

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

proteus wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:26 pm
Macklaren wrote: I don't know...Pirelli says starting on Medium is only the 3rd quickest strategy here. Even two-stopping is supposed to be quicker than that. We will see...
Having a brand new set of mediums for the race could also be an advantage... a Qualifying lap should take a good amount of life out of the tires since they have them at the limit, therefore potentially you have a couple more laps in storage with the mediums during the race and that could make a difference in terms of pace.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Well, you can burn mediums in traffic quite quickly as well.
Exactly... Starting at the front with potentially a chance for free air (let’s face it, the Mercedes and RBR will probably drive into the distance in a couple of laps)... Therefore there is potential to have a good gap to the front that could help preserve the tires.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

genarro
genarro
4
Joined: Wed May 15, 2019 9:22 am

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

We are probably confident that tomorow the 2 stop strategy will be the fastest one since the tyre deg is so high (even though the temps will be lower) so starting on the mediums probably isnt that much faster on terms of strategy.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier
154
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:54 am

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

A couple of interesting pieces of stats in regards to the overall pace of the car:

A) The improvement year on year is interesting, we shouldn’t focus too much on the absolute number since track conditions (temperature, wind, etc) will have an effect, but it’s interesting to see the improvement against the competition... Not only has the car improved year on year, but it’s clear that Mercedes has also made an important improvement from the engine and we will have it in the back of car next year

Image

B) Slow speed was one of the biggest weakness of the MCL34, watching them as third best team in S3 today is very encouraging since now we are not only trying to maximize the strengths of the car (last year the focus was on low drag races and not expecting good performance in tracks with a lot of slow corners)

We should also note that Ferrari run a very low drag configuration with Leclerc (therefore their performance in S1, S2) while Mclaren seems to have focus more on Race Pace

Image


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fouad1979
fouad1979
7
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:48 am

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

Darth-Piekus wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:46 pm
fouad1979 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:09 pm
Darth-Piekus wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:05 pm
Unless you are sarcastic that is blasphemy. Mansell and Patrese are much better drivers that have driven on a more competitive era with harder to control cars.
Man patrese was destroyed by Michael and Mansel sacked by williams cause he was not so competitive and focus
Patrese was old by that time and what are you talking about? Mansell won the 1991 championship and he was fairly ok in 1992. Many claim that Mansell was unlucky like Alonso getting to teams when they were on their last legs or not competitive like the first time on Williams and on Lotus and when he replaced Hakkinen on Mclaren.
Man ayrton won in 1991 and in 1992 with the williams'electronic advantage and active suspension there was no competition for williams and they won the championship with mansel who was sacked months after to get prost in the car with Hill

User avatar
Darth-Piekus
26
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

Sorry my mistake. Ayrton won in 1991 and Mansell won in 1992 with the Williams indeed Electronic Advantage and so did Prost in 1993. That Andrian Newey car was out of competition. Still though it was mostly politics from Prost as he didn't wanted Mansell on the car that is why they sacked him.

Lucky
Lucky
185
Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:23 am

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

SmallSoldier wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:56 pm
A couple of interesting pieces of stats in regards to the overall pace of the car:

A) The improvement year on year is interesting, we shouldn’t focus too much on the absolute number since track conditions (temperature, wind, etc) will have an effect, but it’s interesting to see the improvement against the competition... Not only has the car improved year on year, but it’s clear that Mercedes has also made an important improvement from the engine and we will have it in the back of car next year

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202008 ... ad648c.jpg

B) Slow speed was one of the biggest weakness of the MCL34, watching them as third best team in S3 today is very encouraging since now we are not only trying to maximize the strengths of the car (last year the focus was on low drag races and not expecting good performance in tracks with a lot of slow corners)

We should also note that Ferrari run a very low drag configuration with Leclerc (therefore their performance in S1, S2) while Mclaren seems to have focus more on Race Pace

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202008 ... c80e13.jpg


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Best McLaren time in 2019
1'26.079

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier
154
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:54 am

[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

Lucky wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:56 pm
A couple of interesting pieces of stats in regards to the overall pace of the car:

A) The improvement year on year is interesting, we shouldn’t focus too much on the absolute number since track conditions (temperature, wind, etc) will have an effect, but it’s interesting to see the improvement against the competition... Not only has the car improved year on year, but it’s clear that Mercedes has also made an important improvement from the engine and we will have it in the back of car next year

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202008 ... ad648c.jpg

B) Slow speed was one of the biggest weakness of the MCL34, watching them as third best team in S3 today is very encouraging since now we are not only trying to maximize the strengths of the car (last year the focus was on low drag races and not expecting good performance in tracks with a lot of slow corners)

We should also note that Ferrari run a very low drag configuration with Leclerc (therefore their performance in S1, S2) while Mclaren seems to have focus more on Race Pace

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202008 ... c80e13.jpg


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Best McLaren time in 2019
1'26.079
This is based on the best potential time “by the team”, therefore trying to minimize driver impact... It’s the best way to find what the Ultimate Pace of a car is.

You get the best sector times for the team, regardless of the driver and that will give you what the ultimate pace of the car was.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User avatar
Darth-Piekus
26
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

It bothers me though how Mercedes found more than a second in the winter and we only found 3 tenths.

User avatar
bauc
80
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:03 am
Location: Skopje, Macedonia

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

Good day for us, lets hope tomorrow we can bring both cars in points
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

User avatar
Xero
68
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:11 pm
Location: Moray, Scotland

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

Mercedes have clearly made a large step with their PU this year, not ready to believe all 3 teams made a similar jump in chassis/aero performance. They were lagging behind Ferrari the past couple of seasons in terms of power output and must have pushed a lot of resources into developing it to close the gap. This year though, with the Ferrari PU severely hampered by undoing whatever trickery they were doing, Mercedes are reaping the rewards of those developments.

Great news is we should get a fairly good indication of that when McLaren bolt it into their car next season, albeit without any compromised integration.

User avatar
Darth-Piekus
26
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

The question is how much can we get from that new Engine. If things go well what is the most we can gain?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier
154
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:54 am

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

Xero wrote:Mercedes have clearly made a large step with their PU this year, not ready to believe all 3 teams made a similar jump in chassis/aero performance. They were lagging behind Ferrari the past couple of seasons in terms of power output and must have pushed a lot of resources into developing it to close the gap. This year though, with the Ferrari PU severely hampered by undoing whatever trickery they were doing, Mercedes are reaping the rewards of those developments.

Great news is we should get a fairly good indication of that when McLaren bolt it into their car next season, albeit without any compromised integration.
Contrary to popular belief, I don’t think Mclaren will struggle much integrating the Mercedes PU, unless the car concept is seriously compromised by the different layout... At least from a mechanical perspective, the team is already working on the integration plan and wouldn’t expect too many surprises in that regard.

The Mercedes step will be carry over to next year with potential additional performance if they upgrade it between seasons (which is to be expected)... It will be interesting to watch what Mclaren can accomplish with the best PU on the grid... If they can maintain or shorten the gaps to RBR, Ferrari and RP this season, the could finally be in a position to fight for podiums in 2021... Fighting Mercedes is impossible though.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User avatar
Xero
68
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:11 pm
Location: Moray, Scotland

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

SmallSoldier wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:03 pm
Contrary to popular belief, I don’t think Mclaren will struggle much integrating the Mercedes PU, unless the car concept is seriously compromised by the different layout... At least from a mechanical perspective, the team is already working on the integration plan and wouldn’t expect too many surprises in that regard.

The Mercedes step will be carry over to next year with potential additional performance if they upgrade it between seasons (which is to be expected)... It will be interesting to watch what Mclaren can accomplish with the best PU on the grid... If they can maintain or shorten the gaps to RBR, Ferrari and RP this season, the could finally be in a position to fight for podiums in 2021... Fighting Mercedes is impossible though.
I agree, don't think it will cause any issues either. It's all pure speculation, but a 4 or 5 tenths gain isn't outside the realm of possibility. Would definitely put them into the podium mix. First things first, the car needs to continue on it's strong development path. Expecting Ferrari and Red Bull to make massive progress over the course of this season, McLaren need to match that.