[ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Jaisonas

Re: [ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

Its easy to blame just the engine especially when the Merc has made such a huge step but its hard to compete when your car is midfield at best in the really tight corners on the third sector.
I still think that both Honda and Renault have made steps during the winter, but its really apparent that what Mercedes has at the moment produces more power than what ferrari had last year.
Last edited by Jaisonas on 02 Aug 2020, 00:55, edited 2 times in total.

timbo

Jaisonas wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 00:41
timbo wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 00:35
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG85-HmOk0g
Wtf? Albon looks he's down on power.
He's not, hes messing up his corner exits on all important bits, compromising his exit speed.
Did not look that way to me. They're level before Copse (which is flat) and then suddenly in Maggots/Becketts he's behind. Dunno, seems strange.

GhostF1

gandharva wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 21:46
If you think it's not the PU, you are closing your eyes to reality. In Austria, one of the shortest tracks in season, they lost around 0.4 on straights alone. Wake up!
Who are you!?

So many moronic claims at the expense of Honda all the time. Do you have some weird agenda.

Why is this even a discussion? Honda have more power than Mercedes 2019 PU this year. This is a known fact. Honda have actually said they have made a good step in the winter. They were level pegging Merc at the end of last year. So how can they suddenly be slower everywhere this year?

You've got Red Bull literally saying the car has inherent issues but it can't be fixed in a week and yet somehow it is suddenly the engine going backwards? Honda even made a huge jump in performance towards the end of 2019 with the Spec 4 which was after Silverstone and this year have gone beyond that.. so two measurable steps since The 2019 British GP.
The logic I see on this forum sometimes blows my mind. The only alternative is hater speech.

Let's be clear. The power unit is 2nd best... And if Merc didn't make this incredible stratospheric leap over the winter, could possibly be top tier. So let's move on from the "f*** Honda" nonsense. It's clearly not the key problem here.

hasika

After the first three races and yesterday's qualifying,i think there is no doubt that Mercedes have a very powerful engine.
But the question is,why RB16 is even slower than RB15?Last year they did 1.25.276 in Silverstone with Spec3 engine.

hasika

Sector3 was really terrible,Albon was only faster than two Haas,two AF and a Williams,Max was even slower than two RP,two Mclaren,a Renault and a AT.
Sector2 was not good either,RB was slightly faster than the middle field teams but still 0.5s gap to the fastest Mercedes.

Bill

Rbr are loosing 0.6 tenth in slow speed corners sector 3 the new car was supposed to address these weaknesses but looks they had made it worse.https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... es_v01.pdf

McMika98

timbo wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 00:54
Jaisonas wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 00:41
timbo wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 00:35
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG85-HmOk0g
Wtf? Albon looks he's down on power.
He's not, hes messing up his corner exits on all important bits, compromising his exit speed.
Did not look that way to me. They're level before Copse (which is flat) and then suddenly in Maggots/Becketts he's behind. Dunno, seems strange.
Agree, the soft tyres should have given him more grip on those corners and yet he was slower than his medium run in sector 2. He went purple on the final corner before his hot lap and must have completely chewed his tyres before sector 2.

GPR-A

hasika wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 05:21
After the first three races and yesterday's qualifying,i think there is no doubt that Mercedes have a very powerful engine.
But the question is,why RB16 is even slower than RB15?Last year they did 1.25.276 in Silverstone with Spec3 engine.
It is quite conclusive now that, RB16 is not producing as much downforce as RB15 did, with similar aero structures and as a consequence, is probably relatively more draggier. With Honda having improved, the extra grunt is helping them through in parts, but not enough. Whatever changes that they have done at the front of the car, seems to have impacted the efficiency and downforce on that car and has also created a lot of balance issues. The timing to get it wrong, couldn't have been worse.

Bill

The high rake cars of Ferrari and Redbull has have reached a dead end by trying to find more performance they have actually gone backwards I think it would be better to focus on 2022 .if we didn't have covid 19 we all be looking forward to new regulations next year.the real question mark is where Honda will be in 2022

McMika98

People are missing the point that only Merc could save the soft tyre for the last sector. So S3 times aren't representative of slow speed ability. Hamilton clearly saved his tyre for S3 by taking it easy on S1 unlike Bottas. Not looking good for Redbull as it show they have higher degradation which cod be crucial in race.
Expect the Merc to lap everyone if there are no safety cars.

etusch

Bill wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 07:32
The high rake cars of Ferrari and Redbull has have reached a dead end by trying to find more performance they have actually gone backwards I think it would be better to focus on 2022 .if we didn't have covid 19 we all be looking forward to new regulations next year.the real question mark is where Honda will be in 2022
Fia must left this freeze bullshit right away. In this condition a fuly free title a half free title and more relaxed time to work on 2022 for Mercedes. It is a big support for them.

LM10

gandharva wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 21:46
If you think it's not the PU, you are closing your eyes to reality. In Austria, one of the shortest tracks in season, they lost around 0.4 on straights alone. Wake up!
If you think RBR's only or main problem is the PU, then why was Max behind Gasly in an Alpha Tauri with the same PU in sector 3? Why was he even further behind Charles in a Ferrari with the weakest PU of all in sector 3?

Stef

McMika98 wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 08:40
People are missing the point that only Merc could save the soft tyre for the last sector. So S3 times aren't representative of slow speed ability. Hamilton clearly saved his tyre for S3 by taking it easy on S1 unlike Bottas. Not looking good for Redbull as it show they have higher degradation which cod be crucial in race.
Expect the Merc to lap everyone if there are no safety cars.
Nah, they will just finish 10-15s in front of Max, because why push ?

smhasan7

Anyone has link to Max's onboard of Q3 Silvestone lap... I'm intrigued to see onboard comparison with Charles just to see what us and Ferrari are up to. I am curious to see where Ferrari made up all that time...

mafeotul

:?: Hello all,

Can anyone with a bit more technical knowledge explain to me how is RBR under performing at such a massive rate? I have spent three days now reading about their PU from Honda, virtually from every respectable source, and 95% of time, the headlines are along the line of "progress has been made". I also believe that barring the nuclear missile that Brackley put in that Merc PU Honda has made the largest legal gains since mid-2019. I come here, to find more information on the Bull's struggle and i even find posts claiming the Ferrari trickery affected Honda, pretty much labelling the old PU part illegal. I honestly believe Honda has an amazing PU and that their presence in a top 3 teams is a blessing for F1. So, can anyone explain how they managed to go backwards? I mean i think it is the first this actually happened for RBR in a long while.