[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

McL-H wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 14:47
McL-H wrote: They only last 6-8 laps. McLaren are forced to stop twice. While starting on Mediums you could do a 1-stop for Hards. Being locked in on a 2-stop strategy is a disadvantage by itself. If you think otherwise, please elaborate.
I believe they will manage the tires and they will probably extend the softs until lap 16-18... The temperatures are lower than on practice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
billamend wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 13:07

I was asking because yesterday I read somewhere that Pirelli was recommending a 2-stop strategy. Was not doubting you, just genuinely curious.

Edit: not quickest, but you can do Soft-Hard.
https://preview.redd.it/kf1arflsake51. ... c868978037
You guys were right. Safety cars helped, but softs could definitely go a bit longer.

Such a shame Carlos tire failed.. we lost good points today. I wonder why we we were a bit slow in the second half of the race. Couldn’t close the gap to Leclerc. Couldn’t manage the gap to Ricciardo. Such a shame. The guys deserved more.
Carlos was just managing his pace... I believe that tire failure may have been from Kimi’s wing that exploded? Carlos was complaining about vibrations a couple of laps before the puncture... It will be interesting to find out what happened... 3 cars with the same issue indicates that it was tire related.

Lando was told in the middle of the stint to look after the front left (the tires that failed on every car)... So that data may have showed the issues there.

fouad1979
fouad1979

Darth-Piekus wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 16:59
fouad1979 wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 16:55
Darth-Piekus wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 16:54
Reminds me of last year. Renault were good in specific Grand Prix, Haas was good in elsewhere, Racing Point and Torro Rosso were good somewhere else. Mclaren however was good generally and I hope the same goes for this year and we will outdevelop them quickly.

I can't say Ferrari passed us. More like Ricciardo and Leclerc are getting 200% from their car not to mention our tyres betrayed us today.
Charles was 0.5 faster in quali and race so lets wait next week to see if the jumped us or just this GP
All I see is Mclaren being generally good in almost every situation and both drivers bring consistent point. Ferrari on the other hand is picky with their races and so is Racing Point and Renault. To me that shows Mclaren is the general best 3rd team so far because consistency gives you positions.

You understand what I mean. It's better to have a car where it's good in all situations instead of choosing which GP to be good.
It will not be easy man ferrari and renault gonna be hard to beat we need more speed more upgrades look at the gab from redbull Verstappen was 1.5 faster than us today its huge man

Darth-Piekus

Mercedes and Verstappen who is a rare case are generally faster. The team at the moment is beating both Ferraris, Albom, Racing Point and Renaults. Maybe we are not faster in every single race but in the final point verdict after 4 races were are the fastest team being consistent in every single race having a car being good in every condition while the other cars are picky from what I saw. Mclaren always had one of the fastest developments in a car and I expect last years outdevelopment to happen again. The car is responding perfectly to upgrades.
Last edited by Darth-Piekus on 02 Aug 2020, 17:04, edited 1 time in total.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

FittingMechanics wrote:
Darth-Piekus wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 16:54
Reminds me of last year. Renault were good in specific Grand Prix, Haas was good in elsewhere, Racing Point and Torro Rosso were good somewhere else. Mclaren however was good generally and I hope the same goes for this year and we will outdevelop them quickly.

I can't say Ferrari passed us. More like Ricciardo and Leclerc are getting 200% from their car not to mention our tyres betrayed us today.
Agreed. I feel like most of the guys are too hard on the team. We were a lap away from finishing both cars in top 10 and only lost out due to a tire failure that both Mercedes experienced as well. It could be even due to debris. Team has now shown that the car is close to the top of the midfield in a variety of tracks and the drivers seem to be driving fairly against each other. I'm quite happy with the season.

Ricciardo might be just a bit faster driver overall, especially given his experience and his known aggression. He's not going to think twice about a sketchy move for 5th while Norris and Sainz will take it safe.

Overall pretty good.
I’m sure most (myself included) are more than happy and excited with how the season is developing so far!... But, I guess that we also accept reality and keeping expectations in check.

The fact that a P5 finish by Lando feels like a “not so great” result is a sign of that the team is performing well and expectations are running high.

haza
haza

If not mistakend we’ve slipped down to fourth in the standings ?

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Bad luck indeed. Decent afternoon.
It shows what I thought for a while, the Renaults are pretty decent but haven’t shown it so far.

It was sector 1 today that RIC was just amazing in. 29.2 average for the MCL and RIC could do a 28.8 when required. And as always it seems to be on the brakes into turn 3/4 where he just has so much feel on the pedal.
Genuinely looking forward to having him in the car next year. His race craft is world championship winning material.

Darth-Piekus

No we are 3rd still.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Darth-Piekus wrote:Mercedes and Verstappen who is a rare case are generally faster. The team at the moment is beating both Ferraris, Albom, Racing Point and Renaults. Maybe we are not faster in every single race but in the final point verdict after 4 races were are the fastest team being consistent in every single race having a car being good in every condition while the other cars are picky from what I saw. Mclaren always had one of the fastest developments in a car and I expect last years outdevelopment to happen again. The car is responding perfectly to upgrades.
Beating both Ferrari’s??? Did you watch a different race today?... Wow... Both Renaults? RIC passed Norris on track.

Anyway, I guess no point in arguing... You can believe whatever you want to believe.

fouad1979
fouad1979

Guys we are mclaren and we must look up for me we were not as quick as i want charles beat us and ricciardo was faster and the 2 top teams were in another planet so we must keep going up and not saying waw 5 its amazing !!!

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

haza wrote:If not mistakend we’ve slipped down to fourth in the standings ?
No... Ferrari was P3 and we were P5 and had a 13 point advantage coming into the race, so Ferrari will keep P5 behind Racing Point, we will extend slightly against RP and Renault will climb up, but stay P5 if I’m not mistaken :)

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

fouad1979 wrote:Guys we are mclaren and we must look up for me we were not as quick as i want charles beat us and ricciardo was faster and the 2 top teams were in another planet so we must keep going up and not saying waw 5 its amazing !!!
After the last quinquennium, a P5 is something to celebrate

Darth-Piekus

Yes I've watched the race and yes Ricciardo was faster in the last 10 laps of the race. Yes I have seen Leclerc being faster but personally to me Leclerc and Ricciardo are just exceptional drivers who are taking a lot out of the car. Look at Ocon or Vettel. Where were they? Also I look at the bigger picture. The one who wins is the one who is most consistent. We might have not been the fastest midfield today in the last 10 laps but we were fastest in the 40 laps before and consistent in each race and the final standings say Mclaren is the 3rd best team at the moment. We got a better team organisation and more money to outdevelop the opposition and to be frank Ferrari is a joke these last 3 years.

And no considering to have known Mclaren from the 1988 being a powerhouse I am not gonna celebrate a 5th position. A good result but nothing spectacular to celebrate.

fouad1979
fouad1979

Man Charles was faster than us all the race he finished in the podium or i was just dreaming this afternoon

Darth-Piekus

Yes Charles was faster this time but is Ferrari still picky in terms of performance? Are they behind us or not? Some people forget that they aren't playing alone. We are playing here also and we will anything nessesary to stay in that 3rd place by the end of 2020.
Last edited by Darth-Piekus on 02 Aug 2020, 17:20, edited 1 time in total.

Macklaren
Macklaren

I think in hindsight, the low downforce configuration that Ferrari chose seemed like the right solution. Wonder if that if why Renault was so fast