2020 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 31-02 July / August

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Racer X

Re: 2020 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 31-02 July / August

Hulk Is just as effective as the car being parked waiting for Perez's.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

Andres125sx

OMG what a race finish

Hamilton continue enjoying some serious luck, winning with a flat tire for a whole lap is incredible. If Max didn´t stop for a fast lap record, or if his teammate didn´t suffer a puncture previous to him, he´d have lost the victory, but both things happened and he kept victory

OTOH Bottas and Sainz were seriously unlucky to lose the race at final lap. Specially Carlos did a great race going from 7th to 4th, or 5th before Bottas puncture, so loosing all those points was cruel both for him and McLaren

matt_b wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 18:25
I would think that punctures were caused by debris and a worn tyre with little rubber will be more prone to punctures than a fresh tyre.

If the tyre was 100% worn we would start to see the canvas and not only would the drivers have no grip but the team would see the massive loss in tyre temperature from their sensors.
Because of the safety car, pretty much all cars stopped at the same time to take on new rubber. Of the runners who had a puncture, this occurred within a lap or two of each other and happened exclusively on the front left.

Some kind of coincidence this.
Last edited by 214270 on 02 Aug 2020, 18:46, edited 1 time in total.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Andres125sx

JordanMugen wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 17:02
wesley123 wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 16:53
I'm gonna call it; these cars have too much downforce for the tires. Notice how most teams ran fairly small rear wings for Silverstone?
No they don't. The teams are pushing tyre wear to the limit because they are stupid, that's all. :wink:

"To finish first, first you must finish" and to finish you need intact tyres by doing three pit-stops!
Thanks god F1 teams can go to internet to learn from your vast knownledge, probably they´ve won last 10 titles thanks to your comments on F1T :lol: :lol: :lol:

djones wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 17:29
214270 wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 17:28
Albon looks spent mentally
Yeah, and it was the same for Bottas too I thought.
Yes agreed. BOT is a veteran though, I don’t fear for him; ALB looks like his confidence has completely vanished
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Andres125sx

MtthsMlw wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 16:52
I remember the same thing happened to Ferrari in 2017.
Weird that it hit both Mercs, I assume they were cruising around managing the tyres.
I don´t think they manage the tires more than necessary to finish the race... or at least that´s their intention :mrgreen: .

I think they manage the gaps with PU mappings, while drivers still drive as fast as possible with the tires they´re using. Once the race is over tires go to the trash, so no need to save them more than necessary, while PU will be the same next GP, and the number of laps in power modes is very limited so the more it is run in detuned modes in one race, the more they can push it in the next.

Andres125sx

foxmulder_ms wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 16:48
dxpetrov wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 16:46
Unbelievable how much luck Lewis got, year after year....
What luck?? 3 racers lost the tires. It is **un**luckiness not luckiness. lol.
For Bottas and Sainz yes, but Lewis won the race anycase. That´s some serious luckiness, specially when you consider without Bottas puncture or without Max pitstop his victory would have gone. That´s champion´s luck, even when he has a problem there are circumstances wich makes the problem irrelevant

Xwang

IMHO Hamilton was lucky because he could have pitted at the begging of the last lap when he had 35 seconds of margin with respect to Verstappen, they gambled not to do that and were lucky to be able to finish the lap with 3 wheels.

GPR-A

Andres125sx wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 18:46
foxmulder_ms wrote:
dxpetrov wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 16:46
Unbelievable how much luck Lewis got, year after year....
For Bottas and Sainz yes, but Lewis won the race anycase. That´s some serious luckiness, specially when you consider without Bottas puncture or without Max pitstop his victory would have gone. That´s champion´s luck, even when he has a problem there are circumstances wich makes the problem irrelevant
If there is one guy who has lost numerous races while leading because of bad luck, it's Lewis. He is the same guy who lost a championship because of bad luck. So nothing really evens that out. Verstappen has been a beneficiary of such bad luck to Mercedes cars. Just that it wasn't enough today.

Racer X

Hamilton was so fast he could afford a terrible last lap. There no luck involved at all. Max could have won but he did not because he made an UNLUCKY pit stop how could he have known....

All the years of Hamilton saying his tires were out and putting in fastest laps helped him out when they actually we're and that helped make the unlucky call from Redbull. Hahahaha.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

El Scorchio

Just watching it again. Merc had (in F1 terms) AGES to call Hamilton in.
Plus the mechanics were all ready from when Bottas had just stopped.

Unf

Hamilton still has effrontery to saying that "it was so hard to win" cause Bottas was pushing. Such a cheek. If anything was real hard for him - it was last lap, obviously why. He is repeating every week that "it was so hard" for no reason. Do you remember whether Schumacher in 2004 was saying that he was in any trouble? O_O

ENGINE TUNER

Pirelli will lie again and blame debris, but this has nothing to do with debris from Kimi or anyone else. Pirelli has always had a weakness where the sidewall connects to the tread. These tires are just plain garbage, thankfully nobody got injured.

I suspect KVT suffered from a rear right wheel or suspension failure, I saw debris in the air before he went off track. I don't think it was tire debris, or that the deflated tire caused the debris.

The other failures are 100% on pirelli and the trash that they provide to F1. The front left is the most loaded tire around Silverstone and all three failures were front left, all where the sidewall connects to the tread. Pirelli suffers at tracks with high lateral loading AND high terminal speeds. These failures were NOT from rubber wear, but even with high wear the tires shouldn't fail in that manner, they should remain inflated and show the kevlar construction.
Last edited by ENGINE TUNER on 05 Aug 2020, 00:39, edited 1 time in total.

El Scorchio

GPR-A wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 19:06
Andres125sx wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 18:46
foxmulder_ms wrote:

If there is one guy who has lost numerous races while leading because of bad luck, it's Lewis. He is the same guy who lost a championship because of bad luck. So nothing really evens that out. Verstappen has been a beneficiary of such bad luck to Mercedes cars. Just that it wasn't enough today.
You could argue two championships to bad luck. 2007 and 2016. Then again he got pretty lucky in 2008.

matt_b

El Scorchio wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 19:13
Just watching it again. Merc had (in F1 terms) AGES to call Hamilton in.
Plus the mechanics were all ready from when Bottas had just stopped.
What was the gap to Max at that point given that Lewis was backing off massively and Max had fresh softs? One slow pit stop and they lose the race so it was actually the right call because Lewis won.