WEC 2020 Tech Regulations - Hypercar Regulations

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Winged_One

Re: WEC 2020 Tech Regulations - Hypercar Regulations

I don't think Stroll is to blame for this. Aston was not going to be able to afford it either way, even though I would have liked to have V12s at Le Mans again.
bill shoe wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 15:51
If only Toyota continues with hypercar then it's a nightmare for WEC because despite all the best intentions in the world, every race will come down to the BoP comparisons between cars (hypercar vs. LMDh) that are not even very similar.
Glickenhaus also still exists.

ByKolles also are still claiming they will have something, but they are not a serious competitor.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Xwang

I have just given a quick read to the latest LMH technical rules and I haven't understood two things:
1) is there a mandatory FIA torque sensor?
2) I was sure that to compete in the prototype class it was necessary to buy the chassis from one of the actual LMP2 constructors, but in the rules I've found nothing. Was I wrong? Could Ferrari built a prototype which is 100% Ferrari designed and made?

wb92

Xwang wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 20:43
I have just given a quick read to the latest LMH technical rules and I haven't understood two things:
5.6.4 A torque monitoring system will run on the FIA/ACO logger to ensure the legality of the PU torque control, according to Appendix 5. The FIA/ACO torque monitoring system is only checking the output of the PU compared to the driver demand. It is not controlling any actuators on the car, it is only monitoring the legality of the competitor control system.

That means yes.
Xwang wrote:
2) I was sure that to compete in the prototype class it was necessary to buy the chassis from one of the actual LMP2 constructors, but in the rules I've found nothing. Was I wrong? Could Ferrari built a prototype which is 100% Ferrari designed and made?
LMH can run on bespoke chassis, while LMDh cars have to be based on one of four LMP2 chassis (Oreca, Dallara, Ligier, Riley-Multimatic).
MVRC - WBRacing

Xwang

wb92 wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 22:03
Xwang wrote:
5.6.4 A torque monitoring system will run on the FIA/ACO logger to ensure the legality of the PU torque control, according to Appendix 5. The FIA/ACO torque monitoring system is only checking the output of the PU compared to the driver demand. It is not controlling any actuators on the car, it is only monitoring the legality of the competitor control system.

That means yes.
So there will be a sensor that directly measure the PU torque output? Is there any info available about how it works and its accuracy?
wb92 wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 22:03
Xwang wrote:
LMH can run on bespoke chassis, while LMDh cars have to be based on one of four LMP2 chassis (Oreca, Dallara, Ligier, Riley-Multimatic).
When you speak about LMDh are you referring to what in the LMP HYC Technical Regulations is named Prototype as opposed to an Hypercar?
There it is said that a Le Mans Prototype Hypercar LMPH can be a prototype (namely a closed automobile designed solely for speed races on circuits or closed courses) or an Hypercar (defined as a closed automobile based on an hypercar modified to be able to compete in speed races on circuits or closed courses, being initially designed for road use an marketed by the manufacturer).
And I've not found any reference to LMDh or LMP2.

wb92

Xwang wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 22:38
So there will be a sensor that directly measure the PU torque output? Is there any info available about how it works and its accuracy?
According to this article: https://the-race.com/formula-e/what-doe ... formula-e/
It might be probably MagCanica torque sensor: http://www.magcanica.com/torque.html
Xwang wrote:
When you speak about LMDh are you referring to what in the LMP HYC Technical Regulations is named Prototype as opposed to an Hypercar?
There it is said that a Le Mans Prototype Hypercar LMPH can be a prototype (namely a closed automobile designed solely for speed races on circuits or closed courses) or an Hypercar (defined as a closed automobile based on an hypercar modified to be able to compete in speed races on circuits or closed courses, being initially designed for road use an marketed by the manufacturer).
Exact rules for LMDh are not yet fully specified and they are not (and won't) be specified within LMP HYC Technical regulations. LMDh cars will run alongside LMH (according to some articles), yet no details published if it's going to be separate class or racing together under BoP (balance of performance) and what exactly will happen with current LMP2 class.

Keep in mind that current generation of LMP1-HY, LMP1-P and LMP2 cars have separate Technical Regulations documents.
MVRC - WBRacing

Xwang

wb92 wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 23:20
Xwang wrote:
According to this article: https://the-race.com/formula-e/what-doe ... formula-e/
It might be probably MagCanica torque sensor: http://www.magcanica.com/torque.html
Xwang wrote:
Exact rules for LMDh are not yet fully specified and they are not (and won't) be specified within LMP HYC Technical regulations. LMDh cars will run alongside LMH (according to some articles), yet no details published if it's going to be separate class or racing together under BoP (balance of performance) and what exactly will happen with current LMP2 class.

Keep in mind that current generation of LMP1-HY, LMP1-P and LMP2 cars have separate Technical Regulations documents.
So, if I have understood correctly there will be two prototype "classes" (LMDh and LMPH-prototype) and a "class" derived from road car (LMPH-hypercar). Is it correct?

wb92

Xwang wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 07:39
So, if I have understood correctly there will be two prototype "classes" (LMDh and LMPH-prototype) and a "class" derived from road car (LMPH-hypercar). Is it correct?
Nope. There will be LMDh (Le Mans Daytona hybrid (?)) and LMH (Le Mans Hypercar).
MVRC - WBRacing

Xwang

wb92 wrote:
07 Aug 2020, 22:35
Xwang wrote:
Nope. There will be LMDh (Le Mans Daytona hybrid (?)) and LMH (Le Mans Hypercar).
But in the LMH rules it is said that a Le Mans Prototype Hypercar LMPH can be a prototype (namely a closed automobile designed solely for speed races on circuits or closed courses) or an Hypercar (defined as a closed automobile based on an hypercar modified to be able to compete in speed races on circuits or closed courses, being initially designed for road use an marketed by the manufacturer).

wb92

Xwang wrote:
07 Aug 2020, 23:01
wb92 wrote:
07 Aug 2020, 22:35
Xwang wrote:
But in the LMH rules it is said that a Le Mans Prototype Hypercar LMPH can be a prototype (namely a closed automobile designed solely for speed races on circuits or closed courses) or an Hypercar (defined as a closed automobile based on an hypercar modified to be able to compete in speed races on circuits or closed courses, being initially designed for road use an marketed by the manufacturer).
yes, and both will be classified as LMH.
MVRC - WBRacing

Xwang

OK. Now it's clear. Thank you!

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Xwang

I've read that the LMH will be a BoP series, but I have not understood if it is a BoP like GT3 cares where different cars performances are balanced with respect each other or if BoP is made prescribing constraints on maximum aerodynamic efficiency and engine power known a priori for every competitor.

Morteza

ByKolles' LMH car

There are going to be three versions of this car
The three versions of the PMC Project LMH are:

•The LMH race version using a normally aspirated 700 hp V8 engine and weighing in race condition with ballast 1040 kg

•The LMH trackday version with a 650 hp V8 engine and weighing 950 kg

•The LMH road car will combine a hybrid system with an V8 engine with a total system power of approx. 1000 hp fitted to a chassis weighing approx.1000kg in order to meet the design target of 1 to 1 kg to hp. The engine will be mapped for bio fuel usage.
Source

Morteza

What Peugeot and Total have came up with for LMH (in concept form)