2020 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 31-02 July / August

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Re: 2020 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 31-02 July / August

zeph wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 21:13
Normally, he would have had to pull over and stop the car. Like I said, people have been penalized for less
I've never seen the FIA penalize a driver for driving with a puncture, it's pretty much standard to try and get the car around to the pit lane, or in this case, the finish line as the pit lane wasn't allowed. Didn't Alonso drive a car around with 2 punctures one time?

EDIT: Yup, Azerbaijan 2018
Last edited by i70q7m7ghw on 02 Aug 2020, 21:20, edited 1 time in total.

zeph
zeph

That’s true. But I also remember penalties handed out for not stopping the car and continuing to drive in an unsafe manner

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

zeph wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 21:20
That’s true. But I also remember penalties handed out for not stopping the car and continuing to drive in an unsafe manner
Got an example?

Diesel wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 21:15
zeph wrote:
Normally, he would have had to pull over and stop the car. Like I said, people have been penalized for less
I've never seen the FIA penalize a driver for driving with a puncture, it's pretty much standard to try and get the car around to the pit lane, or in this case, the finish line as the pit lane wasn't allowed. Didn't Alonso drive a car around with 2 punctures one time?
Yes, driving with a puncture we see all the time - no issue there. If you’re shedding carbon fibre everywhere because you’ve taken a bit out of the floor then I suspect that’ll be looked at differently. That wasn’t the case this time round, so all is fair.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

zeph wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 21:20
What was ‘unsafe’ about it?
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

thestig84
thestig84

Diesel wrote:
zeph wrote:
Quite right Diesel. During the race it is absolutely fine and always has been. We aren't talking about a loose wheel here, that's different. A puncture is fine because it is nothing like the hazard of a flying wheel and how would anyone decide how flat the tyre is to have to pull over and stop. Ridiculous op

El Scorchio

Absolutely. It's well accepted that you can try to get back to the pits with a puncture or a wonky wing etc. As this was the last lap it stands to reason under the put lane rules it's ok to get to the end. Not a single driver would have pulled over in the same situation.

Had it not been the last lap he'd have come in anyway as he'd have lost far more time at best and almost certainly retired from the race at worst.

PlatinumZealot

Diesel wrote:
zeph wrote:

EDIT: Yup, Azerbaijan 2018
Don't you know?! It is Lewis Hamilton so burn him at the cross!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

wesley123
wesley123

foxmulder_ms wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 20:46
Albon's crush with Magnussen was very similar to the one he had with Lewis but this time he was the one inside. I think 5 sec was very harsh. Like it was harsh for Lewis. In both cases I blame the outside driver more.
Albon literally had nowhere to go and afaik even lifted to try and prevent a collision. It was 100% Magnussen's fault, and it was another incompetent decision of the stewards.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

cooken
cooken

zeph wrote:
We're all waiting for you to bring forth specific examples, go ahead. I won't hold my breath.

astracrazy
astracrazy

Seems to be a lot of bitterness on the forum these days.....

In all my years of watching I have never seen anyone have to pull over and stop, even a rear puncture thats wrecking the floor - they always drive back to the pits.

Racer X

Hulk Hulk Hulk Hulk Hulk Hamilton.... Oh I'm sorry I meant to write ; hahahahahaha Hamilton had such a good race!
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

Sieper

Is it illegal to finish in pit? Then a meatball flag would have autokilled Lewis straight away. As long as they are not strewing parts all over, let them go.

El Scorchio

wesley123 wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 22:03
foxmulder_ms wrote:
Albon's crush with Magnussen was very similar to the one he had with Lewis but this time he was the one inside. I think 5 sec was very harsh. Like it was harsh for Lewis. In both cases I blame the outside driver more.
Albon literally had nowhere to go and afaik even lifted to try and prevent a collision. It was 100% Magnussen's fault, and it was another incompetent decision of the stewards.
I actually don't think you can attribute any blame to Magnussen in this instance. For sure there are many other occasions you can, but not this.
From his POV he has a moment the corner before, but is ahead and turns into the next corner. It's not up to him to jump out of the way and wave Albon through. IMO Albon goes for a gap that just isn't there and at no point is he even alongside, let alone ahead. I think he tries to lift off after he's realised, but by then it's too late. I think he lacks a bit of patience and situational awareness and that move reeked of desperation. He's chasing a Haas in the first few laps of the race. He doesn't need to rush it. He'll obviously get past very shortly one way or another in his vastly superior car. I don't think he meant to cause a collision at all, but a big lack of judgement has cost two drivers their race.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

wesley123 wrote:
foxmulder_ms wrote:
Magnussen bounced of the kerb but was under control in the car and clearly was going to take the racing line, Alvin went for a gap that was going to close... Its his fault, he should have lifted more to avoid the collision

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk