2020 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 31-02 July / August

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Unc1eM0nty

Re: 2020 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 31-02 July / August

zeph wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 23:49
Diesel wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 23:41
zeph wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 23:31
I guess I meant something like this:

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/931286/1/ ... -condition

But I guess driving with a shredded tire isn’t quite the same thing
That's a good example, but as you suggest I think it's quite different from today. In that instance, Le Clerc had been instructed to pit and ignored the instruction, which meant he continued dropping some fairly large parts of the car which struck another car. Today, Hamilton didn't have the option to pit, as it was the final lap.
What threw me off was the sparks coming from Hamilton’s car, which suggested to me he might be dropping debris on the track, that would have been dangerous. But I guess no harm was done.
If the carcass had ripped apart and started taking bodywork with it then maybe it would have been a different story, the tire of Boattas looked to be in a much worse condition but even that stayed intact and didnt come loose. Small comfort for Pirelli :wink:

Unc1eM0nty

Great result for Ricciardo and Renault with some much needed points

Midfield is super competitive, with all the exitment of the late punctures I didn't see how Riccardio got past Norris, I've re-watched it but I'm non the wiser, there's no mention of it on the Sky commentary

WaikeCU

I just watched the replay of Lewis onboard Pole lap and it caught my attention that running thru Chapel they always kick up the dust on the edge of that inner kerb driving onto the Hangar Straight. I think that might be a reason, because I believe that left front tire might take such a beating by doing that.

They were doing that the whole race. It might be a reason why the front left would start to fail.

maxxer

Again Bottas just cant get close to a care infront of him to mount an overtake he just lingers around between 1.5 and 2.5 seconds ruining his tires

holeindalip

WaikeCU wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 00:59
I just watched the replay of Lewis onboard Pole lap and it caught my attention that running thru Chapel they always kick up the dust on the edge of that inner kerb driving onto the Hangar Straight. I think that might be a reason, because I believe that left front tire might take such a beating by doing that.

They were doing that the whole race. It might be a reason why the front left would start to fail.
Same as 2013, except it was the rears but I think the teams were swapping the sides they were suppose to go on....

Schuttelberg

maxxer wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 01:00
Again Bottas just cant get close to a care infront of him to mount an overtake he just lingers around between 1.5 and 2.5 seconds ruining his tires
It lingers between 1.5-2.5 because Hamilton wants it to. There's a reason Hamilton felt his tyres were 'fine.' There's a reason Bottas was facing vibrations. This has been the story from 2017- date.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

dans79

Schuttelberg wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 01:10
maxxer wrote:
It lingers between 1.5-2.5 because Hamilton wants it to. There's a reason Hamilton felt his tyres were 'fine.' There's a reason Bottas was facing vibrations. This has been the story from 2017- date.
Yep, I mentioned this early on in the race. Lewis was going just fast enough to make sure Bottas wasn't within DRS range. This, he sat in dirty air the entire time causing extra tire wear. this tactic also made sure they didn't pull a big enough gap to Max, that bottas could pit and take advantage of his extra set of mediums.
197 104 103 7

Sieper

WaikeCU wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 00:59

This is a clockwise circuit. Putting the pressure on the outside front wheel in most corners (left as we turn right). That And a very long stint did it. Perhaps the heat das can put into the tires at SC restart just cost them that tad too much (increased wear due to the friction in that last lap before restart (or however long they use it).

Sieper

dans79 wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 02:05
Schuttelberg wrote:
maxxer wrote:
Yep, I mentioned this early on in the race. Lewis was going just fast enough to make sure Bottas wasn't within DRS range. This, he sat in dirty air the entire time causing extra tire wear. this tactic also made sure they didn't pull a big enough gap to Max, that bottas could pit and take advantage of his extra set of mediums.
Sounds plausible. But taking an extra pitstop for fresher softer tires didn’t even enable Bottas to get max in an rbr in Hungary, so likely Hamilton would have been fine if they tried that.

Sieper

maxxer wrote:
They will have suffered a bit more. But Hamiltons clean air all the time tires went 1 lap later. Bottas does not have the speed to attack Hamilton. Not on same compound same age tires. Plus, he knows not to gamble their points away. Look at race start to see that point illustrated.

e30ernest

dans79 wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:
maxxer wrote:
Add to that that even if Valteri were faster than Lewis, he probably wouldn't have had that much of a pace advantage and that would all be lost to dirty air. In this case, Lewis was faster too so he can just bait Bottas to put more strain on his car and tires.

Amazing ending to the race! I thought Max was going to get him for sure. Kudos to Lewis for holding that together and making it to the end first!

Leclerc has been stealing podiums for Ferrari. Really impressive kid.

PlatinumZealot

Let us break the tyre failures down:

Blistering on front left? .. no
Contact patch worn down to carcas? no
Tears on trye thread? No
This could explaim why driver felt tyre was OK up to failure. The tyre did not fail due to wear of the thread but another type of damage and thus normal driver tyre " management" was not to blame.. But some other form of damage.

Sidewall breached?? Yes.
Delamination of thread to sidewall joint? Yes
Vissible deformations and standing waves before failure? Yes

This suggest that the inboard tyre wall had failed from separation due to maybe increased peak stress or fatigue.

I agree that it could be from debris cutting into the sidewall amd weakening it.
Or from the tyre slamming into the dirt trough dug by the cars at Chapel.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

langedweil

Unc1eM0nty wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 00:47
Great result for Ricciardo and Renault with some much needed points

Midfield is super competitive, with all the exitment of the late punctures I didn't see how Riccardio got past Norris, I've re-watched it but I'm non the wiser, there's no mention of it on the Sky commentary
Just had a look; lap 49 at Stowe, almost had it done a lap before.

I've upped the vid
HuggaWugga !

ENGINE TUNER

Schuttelberg wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 23:28
I'm going to just say, I'm really happy with today.

2016 was difficult to take, specially Malaysia. However, I always believed that Rosberg was somewhere between a great and good driver. It's hard to still believe he won a title but the current line up of Mercedes makes it seem like a dream. I'm glad Bottas has a points deficit now and Hamilton has a 'bad luck buffer.' It's very obvious that Mercedes will finish 1-2 in most races unless something goes wrong and Bottas could've lucked into a title with Hamilton having a couple of DNF's.
Bottas in my book would make the worst world champion of all time and I like Hamilton, less than Schumacher but still like him and feel he deserves his success.

As for the race, it was as expected barring the final lap.
Bottas is better than Rosberg and Vettel.

ENGINE TUNER

dans79 wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:
maxxer wrote:
Masterful strategery, but controlling the pace so much almost cost him in the end. Still, great strategic driving.