2020 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 31-02 July / August

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ENGINE TUNER

Re: 2020 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 31-02 July / August

notsofast wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 12:34
Brundle claimed that Kvyat's accident was caused by a left-rear puncture. Has anything further been said about that?
It looked more like right rear suspension failure to me, there was carbon fiber in the air before he left the track.

SiLo

PlatinumZealot wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 14:46
I heard the Force India had ERS problems in the race. It should have been a huge points hauling race for them but they looked toothless.
I don't know, they didn't look much better in qualifying either.
Felipe Baby!

Zynerji

PlatinumZealot wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 16:48
DAS couldnt help!
DAS helped a treat on restarts to pull out the 1s gap to break DRS.

El Scorchio

Zynerji wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 15:39
PlatinumZealot wrote:
DAS couldnt help!
Not sure it's necessarily down to DAS, as basic car performance is obviously a big factor too. It's not like they get a second up and stay there. They are constantly pulling away lap on lap. Hamilton has comfortably pulled a second on Bottas as well after every safety car while he's been in front (and on a couple of race starts too)

Zynerji

El Scorchio wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 15:54
Zynerji wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
DAS couldnt help!
Not sure it's necessarily down to DAS, as basic car performance is obviously a big factor too. It's not like they get a second up and stay there. They are constantly pulling away lap on lap. Hamilton has comfortably pulled a second on Bottas as well after every safety car while he's been in front (and on a couple of race starts too)
Merc drivers were directly ordered over radio to use DAS to warm tyres for restart.

It's a known effect at this point.

dans79

Zynerji wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 16:03
El Scorchio wrote:
Zynerji wrote:

Merc drivers were directly ordered over radio to use DAS to warm tyres for restart.

I think you completely missed his point. DAS would most likely help you over the first lap maybe two, but if you are continuing to pull the gap on everyone else that's the car not just DAS.
197 104 103 7

Zynerji

dans79 wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 16:08
Zynerji wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:

I think you completely missed his point. DAS would most likely help you over the first lap maybe two, but if you are continuing to pull the gap on everyone else that's the car not just DAS.
They are using DAS for restarts like RBR used the cold blowing in the V8 era. Just to break the DRS gap. Then it's back to normal.

I do not see this as a real-time driver adjustment, more of a situational one.
Last edited by Zynerji on 03 Aug 2020, 16:10, edited 1 time in total.

nzjrs

Phil wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 12:49
notsofast wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 12:34
Brundle claimed that Kvyat's accident was caused by a left-rear puncture. Has anything further been said about that?
I'm not sure, but ORF analyzed it and you can see in the slow-mo footage of the broadcast that there is a puncture just as he is about to leave the track and that part of the tire wasn't on the curb or anything.

EDIT: I'd have to watch it again, but I am fairly certain it was rear-right, not rear-left?
Yeah, Wurz used ORF new television thing to zoom in on the right-rear. From memory Wurz was also suspecting a rim failure rather than a puncture was a possibility.

Kvyat also confirmed in his Twitter that it wasn't a driving mistake but only mentioned that it was still under investigation.

Mamba

Restomaniac wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 10:11
RedBull were not at all. Trying to suggest so is an attempt to massively alter historic facts. RedBull themselves stated as such. They had it but didn’t need it where as it was an integral part of the W08.

Clearly these facts don’t fit with the narrative that Mercedes have never had to face adversity though so.......

To bring it back to this race Mercedes have done an amazing job where as others (I’m looking at you Ferrari and RedBull) aren’t.
Red Bull had a highly intricate system in 2016 more than comparable to the one Merc used. So they decided long before Ferrari queried the FIA in December that such an system was no advantage so they were not going to design it integrally to their 2017 car like Merc did?

At least Red Bull and Ferrari didn't chow their tyres this weekend... :lol: They are slow but at least their tyres are fine.
Hopefully the softer compounds this coming weekend spice things up a bit more.

Shrieker

Was the crash Kvyat's fault ? Didn't look like it and Martin Brundle certainly didn't think so either, but Daniil was apologizing profusely on the radio, which is somewhat confusing.

edit: This article says he was busy with the switches, and just lost it on a kerb at high speed. IF that's indeed the case, ouch.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/daniil-kv ... ash-cause/
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

El Scorchio

dans79 wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 16:08
Zynerji wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:

Exactly! TBH I'm not sure exactly what the quantifiable effect of DAS is. It's very hard to separate basic car performance from whatever it gives you on top.
As you say, if it went -1.0s, -0.5s, -0.0s, -0.0s etc. in terms of gap, you'd (almost) definitely be able to say it was DAS. But it's not that. It's a steady gain lap on lap.

As for qualifying, again it's hard to know what the effect is unless they demonstrably run a 'control' lap and a DAS lap. Correct me if I'm wrong but there's been no proper technically based write up/evidence of the DAS effect yet, has there? (If there is one please link it because I'd be really interested to read.) -other than people speculating about what it may or may not bring. Everyone knows the assumed benefit but I feel like Merc are the only ones who really know the actual benefit by quantifiable means at the moment.

Wynters

Shrieker wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 16:25
Was the crash Kvyat's fault ? Didn't look like it and Martin Brundle certainly didn't think so either, but Daniil was apologizing profusely on the radio, which is somewhat confusing.

edit: This article says he was busy with the switches, and just lost it on a kerb at high speed. IF that's indeed the case, ouch.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/daniil-kv ... ash-cause/
He references hitting the red kerb. Looking at the footage, he didn't hit it. I think he was distracted and has no idea what happened so, because he was distracted, he blamed himself.

TheFluffy

I am not sure if this has been discussed before. But why wasn't Gasly asked to give back the position to Vettel (or give a time penalty) His overtake was clearly off the track. Is this one of the examples that FIA only tend to focus on giving penalties more on the front of the grid. Shouldn't Ferrari be screaming to the FIA about that or they just dont seem to care much about Vettel?

Restomaniac

Mamba wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 16:14
Restomaniac wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 10:11
RedBull were not at all. Trying to suggest so is an attempt to massively alter historic facts. RedBull themselves stated as such. They had it but didn’t need it where as it was an integral part of the W08.

Clearly these facts don’t fit with the narrative that Mercedes have never had to face adversity though so.......

To bring it back to this race Mercedes have done an amazing job where as others (I’m looking at you Ferrari and RedBull) aren’t.
Red Bull had a highly intricate system in 2016 more than comparable to the one Merc used. So they decided long before Ferrari queried the FIA in December that such an system was no advantage so they were not going to design it integrally to their 2017 car like Merc did?

At least Red Bull and Ferrari didn't chow their tyres this weekend... :lol: They are slow but at least their tyres are fine.
Hopefully the softer compounds this coming weekend spice things up a bit more.
So you say ‘So they decided long before Ferrari queried the FIA in December that such an system was no advantage so they were not going to design it integrally to their 2017 car like Merc did?‘

Glad you are now agreeing that this comment from you was wrong ‘If anything Red Bull were more affected by that ban than Mercedes.’

I think we can now safely say that nobody will be going for a 1 stop so that’s a moot point.