[ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
tangodjango
tangodjango

Re: [ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

equaliser wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 16:49
Well done Max and RedBull Honda, awesome race today. Why does Hamilton also insinuate someone is cheating when he gets beat?
He never insinuated that. That was what Crofty implied incorrectly. He clearly said after the race tyre pressures rise above the minimum mandated by Pirelli during the race according to a pressure profile curve and that he was asking whether Red Bull had a lower pressure curve than theirs (but above the legal mandated limit) as a possible explanation of their tyre life. If you didn't have a certain agenda to pounce on an incorrect interpretation of his words as a justification to malign him you would see that too.
Last edited by tangodjango on 10 Aug 2020, 01:48, edited 2 times in total.
“Hamilton’s talent is perhaps even more than that of Ayrton or Schumacher or Fernando." - Rubens Barrichello

Revs84
Revs84

godlameroso wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 17:55
Revs84 wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 17:33
Big Tea wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 17:25
FIA/manufacturer stipulate a minimum tyre pressure, but maybe RBR should experiment somewhat with higher pressures during the race. It seems to help life and the handling.
That's what I was thinking as well since both drivers said that handling today was the best they've had so far.

However to me it also seems that track temperature played a major factor, not just for Red Bull to be faster, but also for the Mercs to be slower. So all in all I'm not sure it will make much of a difference.
Albon said they were terrible in qualifying in the part they were really strong in during the race. The biggest most obvious difference between qualifying and race trim is fuel weight. Perhaps the weight balance on heavy fuel is better than on low fuel?
If they're setting up the car for the race, which would make more sense in their current situation, that would not be a surprise.

Re. your crazy thought, in my opinion it might not be so crazy. Imagine the heat being radiated by the track - that would generally play to a high rake setup's advantage.

Big Tea

Revs84 wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 17:33
Big Tea wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 17:25
FIA/manufacturer stipulate a minimum tyre pressure, but maybe RBR should experiment somewhat with higher pressures during the race. It seems to help life and the handling.
That's what I was thinking as well since both drivers said that handling today was the best they've had so far.

However to me it also seems that track temperature played a major factor, not just for Red Bull to be faster, but also for the Mercs to be slower. So all in all I'm not sure it will make much of a difference.
They can not control the temperature, but something made the car handle predictably, and it seems the difference was tyre pressures. Could this have affected ride height, or was it just adding a little movement to what is usually a very stiff suspension? I hope they at least pursue the thought.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

zibby43
zibby43

The race thread is just bonkers right now, so I hope the RBR crew won't mind my saying this in here:

Congrats to RBR and Max on the race win. They did a great job. Although there were definitely some unique factors that helped their competitiveness, you still need to have 1) built the car to be able to capitalize upon those unique conditions and 2) execute properly with strategy and the tire management needed to take advantage of the situation on the day of.

RBR did all of those things, and full credit to them.

Sieper

Newey was so happy, good to see! Hopefully the car really is good on the tires and might enable them to come closer to Merc more often.

IvailoStefanovBG

Very good race for Max and RBR. Very good execution and driver skills. Also I think alot of potential remained hidden. Max controlled the race at every point. I think Honda decided to go aggressive and take a penalty at some time during season. Good to see beating Mercs on clean race. I expect a few more surprises this season...

etusch

IvailoStefanovBG wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 20:13
Very good race for Max and RBR. Very good execution and driver skills. Also I think alot of potential remained hidden. Max controlled the race at every point. I think Honda decided to go aggressive and take a penalty at some time during season. Good to see beating Mercs on clean race. I expect a few more surprises this season...
If they are doing what you have said, I think they are doing right thing. there is nothing to lose but at least some winnings

etusch

Max collected additional weight with his helmet too :lol:

Marti_EF3

And next week race, will be 32 to 35 degrees. Will be interesting to see how Mercedes deal with it again. Also on a track that degradate the tires, where high DF is needed...
Last edited by Marti_EF3 on 09 Aug 2020, 21:58, edited 1 time in total.

etusch

Marti_EF3 wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 20:39
And next week race, will be 32 to 35 degrees. Will be interestint to see how Mercedes deal with it again. Also on a track that degradate the tires, where high DF is needed...
It would be wonderfull to see back to back wins but I won't be high from now. :roll:

Revs84
Revs84

etusch wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 21:11
Marti_EF3 wrote:
And next week race, will be 32 to 35 degrees. Will be interestint to see how Mercedes deal with it again. Also on a track that degradate the tires, where high DF is needed...
It would be wonderfull to see back to back wins but I won't be high from now. :roll:
Next week Pirelli will be bringing the C3, C4 and C5 again - the same tyres used last week. Not sure about the PSI but I think they'll probably be back to 25. In all probability, it will be a 1 stop race.

I'm personally not expecting Mercedes to struggle as much as today but I'm still hoping there will be some good opportunities.

godlameroso

Revs84 wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 23:07
etusch wrote:
Marti_EF3 wrote:
Next week Pirelli will be bringing the C3, C4 and C5 again - the same tyres used last week. Not sure about the PSI but I think they'll probably be back to 25. In all probability, it will be a 1 stop race.

I'm personally not expecting Mercedes to struggle as much as today but I'm still hoping there will be some good opportunities.
In testing everyone did 2 stops.
Saishū kōnā

zibby43
zibby43

Revs84 wrote:
etusch wrote:
Marti_EF3 wrote:

It's actually the C1, C2, and C3 that are the hardest compounds in the range. :D

Revs84
Revs84

zibby43 wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 00:46
Revs84 wrote:
etusch wrote:

It's actually the C1, C2, and C3 that are the hardest compounds in the range. :D

https://presspage-production-content.s3 ... .jpg?10000
My bad - Got them the other way round :oops:

Wynters
Wynters

equaliser wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 17:20
Yes, the tyre pressure comment. He always seems to come out with some sort of excuse when he gets beat instead of just admitting he and his team got it wrong on the day. I think the Mercs simply had too much rear wing downforce.
Yeah, Hamilton is always blaming others for his failings. That's why he never learns from his mistakes and is such a bad driver.

Oh. That's not true at all, is it?

Hamilton: "Firstly, Congratulations to the Red Bull team and to Max. If you look at their tyres they don't have the problems that obviously we had today."

Brundle: "Was there anything in particular as to why the Mercedes was blistering more than the Red bull?"

Hamilton: "Not that I know of at the moment but I'm sure the team will be working as hard as they can as we've not had that [problem] before."

Yeah, you can see how he was just excusing everything, not saying the team had work to do or that Red Bull and Max did a better job avoiding the pit that he and Mercedes fell into today.

Verstappen and Red Bull did an amazing job today, one that they can use as a springboard to continue challenging for the rest of the season, and what is the race thread and this thread full of? "Hamilton sucks, Mercedes sucks, wah, wah, wah!" It's like standing in a playground.

And people complain about drivers whining! #-o
Last edited by Wynters on 10 Aug 2020, 02:22, edited 1 time in total.