[ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
equaliser

Re: [ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

Well done Max and RedBull Honda, awesome race today. Why does Hamilton also insinuate someone is cheating when he gets beat?

Revs84
Revs84

I really hope this will give them a good morale boost and that they can get over their issues soon. One thing is for sure... That DNF back in Austria is going to cost them dearly...

langedweil

Revs84 wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 16:51
I really hope this will give them a good morale boost and that they can get over their issues soon. One thing is for sure... That DNF back in Austria is going to cost them dearly...
Yes .. without that DNF and with a win last week things would have been quite different. But it is what it is ..
HuggaWugga !

TNTHead

Well done by VER/RB. Tires were the differentiator, but I also wonder whether they used more aggrassive mappings on the Honda as they hinted on yesterday. In the beginning of the race the delta to merc was only a few seconds.

considering Albon was down the grid he proceeded quite well, just didn't get LEC in the end.

holeindalip
holeindalip

Revs84 wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 16:37
holeindalip wrote:
08 Aug 2020, 21:57
Revs84 wrote:
08 Aug 2020, 21:13

Safety car and issues aside, if Max can have a clean first lap there may actually be more opportunities than you may think.

In my opinion the fastest time will be a combination of 2 hards and 1 medium. Starting on the Hards and finishing on the medium will yield the fastest strategy.

During the first stint, I don't expect the Mediums of the Mercs to hold for long - especially as I do expect Lewis to fight for first position. There's a good chance they start losing a bit of pace until they have enough gap to pit - if they will even get that luxury. Max will need to make sure to stay as close as possible during this time.

With this strategy, if Max can finish on the Mediums and Mercs are on the Hards, there might be a possibility to go on the attack on some fresher and softer rubber.

Granted that the RB16 has less pace than the Mercs, but Honda giving both drivers a new PU, in my opinion is a sign that the plan to finish the year with no penalties is out of the window. I expect a more aggressive mapping tomorrow to make up for part of the package's deficit.

Until RB get the chassis together, that's the only thing they can do. It's clear that this year is all but lost so at this point it's either go all out or go home.

And if there's a Safety Car? Let's just hope it happens after the Mercs pit and before Max pits.
Yeah with the mercs being on hards at the end will allow them to go harder and longer than vers. And with the pace advantage I don’t really see him as a threat....
What was that again?
The mercs were no where on the hards or it would have been a different story

etusch

equaliser wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 16:49
Well done Max and RedBull Honda, awesome race today. Why does Hamilton also insinuate someone is cheating when he gets beat?
maybe he doesn't know another way to win. :shock: :o
Last edited by etusch on 09 Aug 2020, 17:45, edited 1 time in total.

godlameroso

equaliser wrote:
You mean the comment about tire pressures? That's very telling, whatever mechanism Mercedes uses to keep the tires in the window doesn't seem to work or works too well in the heat. I guess that's the problem of testing in colder weather. Maybe higher temperatures help RB's exhaust blowing?
Saishū kōnā

equaliser

godlameroso wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 17:17
equaliser wrote:
You mean the comment about tire pressures? That's very telling, whatever mechanism Mercedes uses to keep the tires in the window doesn't seem to work or works too well in the heat. I guess that's the problem of testing in colder weather.
Yes, the tyre pressure comment. He always seems to come out with some sort of excuse when he gets beat instead of just admitting he and his team got it wrong on the day. I think the Mercs simply had too much rear wing downforce.

godlameroso

holeindalip wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 16:59
Revs84 wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 16:37
holeindalip wrote:
08 Aug 2020, 21:57

Yeah with the mercs being on hards at the end will allow them to go harder and longer than vers. And with the pace advantage I don’t really see him as a threat....
What was that again?
The mercs were no where on the hards or it would have been a different story
Hamilton got fastest lap, the hard tires were the same mediums they started on last week, with which they were .7 seconds faster than Verstappen. This week Bottas and Verstappen both pitted at the same time on the same tire and Verstappen pulled away from him.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

equaliser wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 17:20
godlameroso wrote:
equaliser wrote:
You mean the comment about tire pressures? That's very telling, whatever mechanism Mercedes uses to keep the tires in the window doesn't seem to work or works too well in the heat. I guess that's the problem of testing in colder weather.
Yes, the tyre pressure comment. He always seems to come out with some sort of excuse when he gets beat instead of just admitting he and his team got it wrong on the day. I think the Mercs simply had too much rear wing downforce.
In Hamilton's defense, yes he said an off the cuff comment in the heat of racing, but after the race he accepted he came second and said the appropriate things. You can't win them all.
Saishū kōnā

Big Tea

FIA/manufacturer stipulate a minimum tyre pressure, but maybe RBR should experiment somewhat with higher pressures during the race. It seems to help life and the handling.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

TNTHead

godlameroso wrote:
equaliser wrote:
You mean the comment about tire pressures? That's very telling, whatever mechanism Mercedes uses to keep the tires in the window doesn't seem to work or works too well in the heat. I guess that's the problem of testing in colder weather. Maybe higher temperatures help <b>RB's exhaust blowing</b>?

VER stated after the race that the balance of the car was good, which is a bit awkward if you think of the wind that was there this race and all their handling/balance issues so far. Does higher temps lead to better sealing of the floor? I know high temps is lower air density and less drag but else...?
Last edited by TNTHead on 09 Aug 2020, 17:35, edited 1 time in total.

Revs84
Revs84

Big Tea wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 17:25
FIA/manufacturer stipulate a minimum tyre pressure, but maybe RBR should experiment somewhat with higher pressures during the race. It seems to help life and the handling.
That's what I was thinking as well since both drivers said that handling today was the best they've had so far.

However to me it also seems that track temperature played a major factor, not just for Red Bull to be faster, but also for the Mercs to be slower. So all in all I'm not sure it will make much of a difference.

godlameroso

TNTHead wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 17:33
godlameroso wrote:
equaliser wrote:
You mean the comment about tire pressures? That's very telling, whatever mechanism Mercedes uses to keep the tires in the window doesn't seem to work or works too well in the heat. I guess that's the problem of testing in colder weather. Maybe higher temperatures help <b>RB's exhaust blowing</b>?

VER stated after the race that the balance of the car was good, which is a bit awkward if you think of the wind that was there this race and all their handling/balance issues so far. Does higher temps lead to better sealing of the floor? I know high temps is lower air density and less drag but else...?
Crazy thought, maybe the higher ambient temps play into exhaust blowing because the exhaust blowing causes a similar delta in the air temp of the diffuser wake. With a higher starting point ie higher ambient temps the expansion you get from the temp delta is enough to make a difference vs lower ambient temps. Just randomly speculating.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

Revs84 wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 17:33
Big Tea wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 17:25
That's what I was thinking as well since both drivers said that handling today was the best they've had so far.

However to me it also seems that track temperature played a major factor, not just for Red Bull to be faster, but also for the Mercs to be slower. So all in all I'm not sure it will make much of a difference.
Albon said they were terrible in qualifying in the part they were really strong in during the race. The biggest most obvious difference between qualifying and race trim is fuel weight. Perhaps the weight balance on heavy fuel is better than on low fuel?
Saishū kōnā