2020 Formula 1 70th Anniversary Grand Prix - Silverstone, August 7-9

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Xwang
Xwang

Re: 2020 Formula 1 70th Anniversary Grand Prix - Silverstone, August 7-9

jjn9128 wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 12:17
Xwang wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 11:54

I do not know if this video is true, but if it is, why Ham has not been penalised for being at 114 km/h instead of 80 at pit limiter begin line?
Because there are 2 pit lines and they have to reach an average speed between them. He overspeeded the first then underspend to reach average pit lane speed.
Ok I didn't know that (and neither paid TV commentators).

Wynters
Wynters

Manoah2u wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 10:50
Yes, the RB lacks still compared to the Merc. But still, RB is right there
If they 'lack' and are 30 points behind I'm not sure I'd class them as 'right there'? Unless we also class Leclerc, in a dog of a car and with a DNF of his own, as being 'right there' with Verstappen?
Manoah2u wrote:
Max did not HAVE to pit, their tires were in great condition, they took it as a precaution...Max would have 100% guaranteed WON
That's not quite how Horner put it.
“If we’d stayed out, we could have lost a second position with the same failure as Lewis, Carlos Sainz and Bottas,” said Horner. “So it was right on the limit. We’ll be grateful to what we’ve got rather than what we potentially lost.

You can either look at the glass being half-empty or being half-full. We’ve benefited from Bottas’s issues given they had a quicker car from ours today. We very nearly had the same issues ourselves."

Perhaps you could share the incontrovertible, 100% guaranteed, evidence you have to counter that?
Manoah2u wrote:
Imagine if this was the FIRST GP of the season.
Y'all Merc and Hamilton fanbois would have panicked, and everybody would bet Max to be WDC.
I think that only applies to people who look at a single race and ignore all the context and data that both precedes and surrounds it. Those sort of people are quite shortsighted, no?

Wynters
Wynters

jjn9128 wrote:
Xwang wrote:

I do not know if this video is true, but if it is, why Ham has not been penalised for being at 114 km/h instead of 80 at pit limiter begin line?
Because there are 2 pit lines and they have to reach an average speed between them. He overspeeded the first then underspend to reach average pit lane speed.
He did a great job getting the average down, just look at how much time he spends at 0 KMH :wtf: :lol:

NathanOlder

Its clear he drops below the maximum speed limit right after bacause you hear him speed up well after the line.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

dans79

GPR-A wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 11:20
Well, let's look how this all stands at the end of the season. It is not that, this is the first time other contenders are billed to challenge Mercedes in the last 6 years (7th year running). It isn't even that, other drivers haven't ended up above Bottas in earlier seasons. Is this the first year that Mercedes has faced some unusual problems related to tyres? No. Have they not ran away with championships despite that? Yes. What is so different about this season?
The hopes, dreams, and delusions of some!
197 104 103 7

Sieper

come on man, Max is the only one of the top 3 who had a technical DNF already (whilst in second) this season and he still is above Bottas per now. Which indeed nobody has succeeded in finishing above. Delusional is too strong. And hope we can. To no avail but the season is more fun when you can carry some hope still.

GPR-A

Sieper wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 13:48
come on man, Max is the only one of the top 3 who had a technical DNF already (whilst in second) this season and he still is above Bottas per now. Which indeed nobody has succeeded in finishing above. Delusional is too strong. And hope we can. To no avail but the season is more fun when you can carry some hope still.
Bottas had a tyre failure last weekend and ended outside of points. So? I know you guys don't see beyond Red Bull and Max, but that's a fact that you not noticed.
Last edited by GPR-A on 10 Aug 2020, 13:55, edited 1 time in total.

Jolle
Jolle

We had this odd race every year... the competition can grasp for air and have some hope... and Mercedes goes for the kill.

dans79

Sieper wrote:
come on man, Max is the only one of the top 3 who had a technical DNF already (whilst in second) this season and he still is above Bottas per now. Which indeed nobody has succeeded in finishing above. Delusional is too strong.
You watched the first race in Silvertone correct? Bottas went from second to 11th which for all intensive purposes was a DNF.

if you go out and search some of the other stuff posted on the internet in the last 20 hrs or so, you'll find it's probably not strong enough.
197 104 103 7

Sieper

GPR-A wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 13:52
Sieper wrote:
Bottas had a tyre failure last weekend and ended outside of points. So? I know you guys don't see beyond Red Bull and Max, but that's a fact that you not noticed.
Ok, so I just say I want to keep hope and the result is another snide remark that I cannot notice anything but Max. thank you very much. By the way, running your tires so long that they actually break is not outside of your control, that is an intentional risk, that is a risk perhaps shouldn't have been taken.

GPR-A

Sieper wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 14:17
GPR-A wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 13:52
Sieper wrote:
Ok, so I just say I want to keep hope and the result is another snide remark that I cannot notice anything but Max. thank you very much. By the way, running your tires so long that they actually break is not outside of your control, that is an intentional risk, that is a risk perhaps shouldn't have been taken.
Exactly! The same applies to a half baked engine that goes puff in a race! An intentional risk that shouldn't be taken.

Sieper

The engine was fine. He was still running that until this weekend and it will now be the friday engine. Or did you not notice?

Big Tea

jjn9128 wrote:
Xwang wrote:

Its like the 'average speed limit' on some roads. you can wiz up to 80 for a quick lane change or pass as long as you have spent some time at 65 waiting for the gap, as long is it is between cameras.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

GPR-A

Sieper wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 14:32
The engine was fine. He was still running that until this weekend and it will now be the friday engine. Or did you not notice?
So why did he stop in the race? Pretending? What's the use of such a survived engine if it doesn't help have a race? Shouldn't they do a decent job of building a PU that can be used to race?

RZS10

This is probably the delay of the graphics, which aren't properly synced ... look at the gear changes etc, those are 10 or so frames behind ... roughly the number of frames until he drops below 80 ... the telemetry data supposedly disappears the moment he enters the pits, he's at 79 when that happens