[ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Wynters
Wynters

Re: [ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

godlameroso wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 17:20
Hamilton got fastest lap, the hard tires were the same mediums they started on last week, with which they were .7 seconds faster than Verstappen. This week Bottas and Verstappen both pitted at the same time on the same tire and Verstappen pulled away from him.
Comfortably pulled away too. It's going to be interesting to really get into that. Even at the end, it was pretty clear that Verstappen was managing as well.

etusch

Wynters wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 02:21
equaliser wrote:
Yes, the tyre pressure comment. He always seems to come out with some sort of excuse when he gets beat instead of just admitting he and his team got it wrong on the day. I think the Mercs simply had too much rear wing downforce.
Yeah, Hamilton is always blaming others for his failings. That's why he never learns from his mistakes and is such a bad driver.

Oh. That's not true at all, is it?

Hamilton: "Firstly, Congratulations to the Red Bull team and to Max. If you look at their tyres they don't have the problems that obviously we had today."

Brundle: "Was there anything in particular as to why the Mercedes was blistering more than the Red bull?"

Hamilton: "Not that I know of at the moment but I'm sure the team will be working as hard as they can as we've not had that [problem] before."

Yeah, you can see how he was just excusing everything, not saying the team had work to do or that Red Bull and Max did a better job avoiding the pit that he and Mercedes fell into today.

Verstappen and Red Bull did an amazing job today, one that they can use as a springboard to continue challenging for the rest of the season, and what is the race thread and this thread full of? "Hamilton sucks, Mercedes sucks, wah, wah, wah!" It's like standing in a playground.

And people complain about drivers whining! #-o
Redbull's excellent work appeared in Q2 session. they had planned it before it and Ham and merc only realised during race.

KiLLu12258
KiLLu12258

Wynters wrote:
equaliser wrote:
Yes, the tyre pressure comment. He always seems to come out with some sort of excuse when he gets beat instead of just admitting he and his team got it wrong on the day. I think the Mercs simply had too much rear wing downforce.
Yeah, Hamilton is always blaming others for his failings. That's why he never learns from his mistakes and is such a bad driver.

Hamilton: "Firstly, Congratulations to the Red Bull team and to Max. If you look at their tyres they don't have the problems that obviously we had today."

Brundle: "Was there anything in particular as to why the Mercedes was blistering more than the Red bull?"

Hamilton: "Not that I know of at the moment but I'm sure the team will be working as hard as they can as we've not had that [problem] before."

Yeah, you can see how he was just excusing everything, not saying the team had work to do or that Red Bull and Max did a better job avoiding the pit that he and Mercedes fell into today.

Verstappen and Red Bull did an amazing job today, one that they can use as a springboard to continue challenging for the rest of the season, and what is the race thread and this thread full of? "Hamilton sucks, Mercedes sucks, wah, wah, wah!" It's like standing in a playground.

Kind of funny. Im sure the driver and team dominating since years only have excuses when they made some mistakes. :D
thats why they dominating like this.. hell yeah, what a dumb comment @equaliser

KiLLu12258
KiLLu12258

etusch wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 08:31
Wynters wrote:
equaliser wrote:

Redbull's excellent work appeared in Q2 session. they had planned it before it and Ham and merc only realised during race.
even when redbull started with mediums they'v won and also even when mercedes started with hards.
The difference were just too big. Mercedes was eating the tyres the whole race and redbull not. there was no way to avoid that.

Oakstreet
Oakstreet

Wynters wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
Hamilton got fastest lap, the hard tires were the same mediums they started on last week, with which they were .7 seconds faster than Verstappen. This week Bottas and Verstappen both pitted at the same time on the same tire and Verstappen pulled away from him.
Comfortably pulled away too. It's going to be interesting to really get into that. Even at the end, it was pretty clear that Verstappen was managing as well.
Pirelli mandated higher tire pressures this weekend to make sure the sidewalls would not collapse. Higher pressure means less forces on those sidewalls, but more forces on the contact patch, which lead to blisters.

I think Red Bull (maybe helped with having "more to play with" because of their high-rake philosphy) went softer on the suspension than Mercedes - a normal action to counteract excessive tire wear. This could mean actually that redbull did not win on saturday, but already on Friday (when set-up was changed heavily on max' car). Could be that Mercedes missed that - but as this would be quite obvious, the Mercedes platform is probably more depending on a stiff suspension to make the aero package work and could not go as soft as they wanted to overcome tire issues. Also, Mercedes did not make any long runs on the hard in practice, so could be caught out a bit as well.

Albon kind of gives that away in his post-race interview around 4min mark when talking about the stiffness of the mercs.

etusch

KiLLu12258 wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 09:20

even when redbull started with mediums they'v won and also even when mercedes started with hards.
The difference were just too big. Mercedes was eating the tyres the whole race and redbull not. there was no way to avoid that.
They could not avoid but easily choose to start with harder compound and be more competitive. So there is better approach from Redbull what I want to say.

KiLLu12258
KiLLu12258

etusch wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 11:00
KiLLu12258 wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 09:20

They could not avoid but easily choose to start with harder compound and be more competitive. So there is better approach from Redbull what I want to say.
yeah absolutely! They did everything right.

Wynters
Wynters

etusch wrote:
I think they outplayed them in most of the sessions this week. Mercedes clearly didn't expect Red Bull's performance both in terms of tyre life and pace. It also seems like Red Bull underestimated Max too :D

El Scorchio

Wynters wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 12:11
etusch wrote:
I think they outplayed them in most of the sessions this week. Mercedes clearly didn't expect Red Bull's performance both in terms of tyre life and pace. It also seems like Red Bull underestimated Max too :D
They nailed it! RBR are really the masters of strategy in the sport IMO and have been for several years. They are fortunate in that they are always in the position with nothing to lose and everything to gain relative to winning races, but I like how bold, aggressive and innovative they are, and able to think about and capitalise on any opportunity.

rogazilla
rogazilla

On Albon. My personal opinion is that he needs to improve his 1 lap pace. While I like Gasly as well but I do think Albon is stronger on race day as we see race after race. He seems to come alive on race day. While he does take some chances on overtaking, I much prefer that over watching Gasly taking laps after laps and not able to make a move last season. To be fair, both are fairly green but I think Albon being more willing to make a move, he will learn and improve.

On the car setup, one thing bothers me that people say the car runs better with fuel load maybe that changes the geometry. However as the car runs toward end of the race, fuel burns off, wouldn't the handling gets difficult again as in qualifying (given they are not running at qualy speed)?

Marti_EF3

Are the pressures higher than last year??

Sieper

rogazilla wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 15:41
On Albon. My personal opinion is that he needs to improve his 1 lap pace. While I like Gasly as well but I do think Albon is stronger on race day as we see race after race. He seems to come alive on race day. While he does take some chances on overtaking, I much prefer that over watching Gasly taking laps after laps and not able to make a move last season. To be fair, both are fairly green but I think Albon being more willing to make a move, he will learn and improve.

On the car setup, one thing bothers me that people say the car runs better with fuel load maybe that changes the geometry. However as the car runs toward end of the race, fuel burns off, wouldn't the handling gets difficult again as in qualifying (given they are not running at qualy speed)?
Albon can qualy better and he will if his racepace and craft is any indication. Right now the RBR is just ahead (not even ahead RP in Hulks hands this last weekend) but almost the whole top midfield is right on their heels so If Albon leaves a few tents on the table it hurts. If the car improves more then the subtop it will hurt less in the second part of the season. then again, this season is likely short.

even at the end of the race the speeds is nowhere near qualy pace, so any "on edge" problems will be dampened a lot already. But both drivers have stated the car improved as opposed to previous races and they ran those with fuel as well :-D.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Hulkenberg was faster and the midfield close to Max on saturday. How much speed has RedBull sacrificed for hard tyre life? Pretty clever if P2 start was out of reach anyway.

HPD

It amazes me how Max must fight 2 Mercedes at the same time (2 different strategy types) and still come out victorious.
2 vs 1 is very unfair and that makes Max victories special. (compared to other pilots(?)...
Red Bull needs another driver to pressure Mercedes.

Moore77

HPD wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 17:07
It amazes me how Max must fight 2 Mercedes at the same time (2 different strategy types) and still come out victorious.
2 vs 1 is very unfair and that makes Max victories special. (compared to other pilots(?)...
Yes it does. But Riccardo did that in 2014 Hungary. Vettel did it in Malaysia 2015 (almost exactly similar type of race) and Australia, Bahrain 2017.
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.