COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
nzjrs

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

El Scorchio wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 01:16
It wasn't compulsory aside from on public transport until last week, I believe. (24th July, I think.)
Still there are a number of people who refuse for whatever reason. (selfishness? ignorance? 'personal freedom'?)
Exactly yeah, no one was doing it before it was *required*. IMO Compliance now is very high, >95%. Prior to that UK wrote only that it was "recommended" and other weak and unclear guidelines. The way in which the official government advice here is so flaccid is something I was not expecting to discover.

El Scorchio

nzjrs wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 08:34
El Scorchio wrote:
It wasn't compulsory aside from on public transport until last week, I believe. (24th July, I think.)
Still there are a number of people who refuse for whatever reason. (selfishness? ignorance? 'personal freedom'?)
Exactly yeah, no one was doing it before it was *required*. IMO Compliance now is very high, >95%. Prior to that UK wrote only that it was "recommended" and other weak and unclear guidelines. The way in which the official government advice here is so flaccid is something I was not expecting to discover.
Agree. The majority of people are complying which is good to see. However I know it’s problematic in the way that shop workers are unable or unwilling to strictly enforce it for fear of altercations. (I can’t believe some people would rather get into a fight with someone than just put a mask on for 15 minutes to go shopping...) and of course it’s impossible for the police to check on everything all the time.

While the government here certainly could have handled things better I do have a bit of sympathy. They have to walk a fine line between being strict in telling the public what they must do and making sure civil order is kept. Would be a disaster if they tried to go too far and it led to civil unrest. I guess that’s the game a lot of governments are having to play. I feel the UK and US are two very hard countries to govern in that respect. Although at least they seem to be trying in the UK as opposed to the US!!!

I do wish we’d made a better job of it here, but I certainly wouldn’t want to be trying to manage this situation, for sure. It must be every leader’s nightmare.

Just_a_fan

El Scorchio wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 10:40

I do wish we’d made a better job of it here, but I certainly wouldn’t want to be trying to manage this situation, for sure. It must be every leader’s nightmare.
It's when leaders are shown to be leaders. Boris has shown himself to be no Churchill. Which is ironic as he's partly modelled himself in that vein with his speech-giving techniques etc.

Anyway, I can hear the mods approaching so enough of this thing that sounds like it might be political... :wink: :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

El Scorchio

Just_a_fan wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 10:52
El Scorchio wrote:

It's when leaders are shown to be leaders. Boris has shown himself to be no Churchill. Which is ironic as he's partly modelled himself in that vein with his speech-giving techniques etc.

Anyway, I can hear the mods approaching so enough of this thing that sounds like it might be political... :wink: :lol:
Very true! And you're right, we probably should put a lid on this train of thought. I hold my hands up for taking it in this direction :)

adrianjordan

El Scorchio wrote:
nzjrs wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:
Agree. The majority of people are complying which is good to see. However I know it’s problematic in the way that shop workers are unable or unwilling to strictly enforce it for fear of altercations. (I can’t believe some people would rather get into a fight with someone than just put a mask on for 15 minutes to go shopping...) and of course it’s impossible for the police to check on everything all the time.

While the government here certainly could have handled things better I do have a bit of sympathy. They have to walk a fine line between being strict in telling the public what they must do and making sure civil order is kept. Would be a disaster if they tried to go too far and it led to civil unrest. I guess that’s the game a lot of governments are having to play. I feel the UK and US are two very hard countries to govern in that respect. Although at least they seem to be trying in the UK as opposed to the US!!!

It seems quite simple to me. Global health crisis. National rules put in place along with Marshall Law. Military Police on the streets to assist civilian Police in enforcing them. We're an island, so close all borders, except for goods which have to be properly decontaminated. Actually enforce lockdown with actual punishments for people who break them, not "education" as the Police have been doing. Complete and total ban on mass gatherings, I don't care what the cause. Proper testing and proper education for the public - which would include instructing social media to remove any posts with false information claiming to be science. Do it properly and you keep your numbers down and can wipe the virus out within your country.

But I'm biased as I've lost colleagues to the virus and had to tell family and friends of patients that their loved one is going to die from the virus. I haven't seen my own family since March because I don't want to risk carrying it from a patient to them. Oh and I was very close to ending up in ICU myself with it earlier this year.

So I have zero patience for people who think they know better as far too many members of the public seem to.

And to bring it back on topic, if an F1 driver was photographed not keeping to the social distancing rules, imposed by the FIA to keep everyone in the sport safe, and then tested positive for Covid-19, that driver should immediately receive a lifetime ban from the sport.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

El Scorchio

adrianjordan wrote:
07 Aug 2020, 10:01
El Scorchio wrote:
nzjrs wrote:

It seems quite simple to me. Global health crisis. National rules put in place along with Marshall Law. Military Police on the streets to assist civilian Police in enforcing them. We're an island, so close all borders, except for goods which have to be properly decontaminated. Actually enforce lockdown with actual punishments for people who break them, not "education" as the Police have been doing. Complete and total ban on mass gatherings, I don't care what the cause. Proper testing and proper education for the public - which would include instructing social media to remove any posts with false information claiming to be science. Do it properly and you keep your numbers down and can wipe the virus out within your country.

But I'm biased as I've lost colleagues to the virus and had to tell family and friends of patients that their loved one is going to die from the virus. I haven't seen my own family since March because I don't want to risk carrying it from a patient to them. Oh and I was very close to ending up in ICU myself with it earlier this year.

So I have zero patience for people who think they know better as far too many members of the public seem to.

And to bring it back on topic, if an F1 driver was photographed not keeping to the social distancing rules, imposed by the FIA to keep everyone in the sport safe, and then tested positive for Covid-19, that driver should immediately receive a lifetime ban from the sport.
Personally, I completely agree. Short term pain for long term gain is the way I’d see it. It feels like a lot of people think it’s ‘over’ because it’s in a dip right now, but it looks like from trends in so many other countries it’ll be back at some point but hopefully not in a way like earlier this year.

You’re a doctor? Wow. You have my total respect. I can only imagine what it must have been like for the last six months. There’s no way I’d have the courage to do what you have to do and the personal sacrifices you’ve made must be bloody awful. But THANK YOU.

adrianjordan

El Scorchio wrote:
07 Aug 2020, 10:37
adrianjordan wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:

Personally, I completely agree. Short term pain for long term gain is the way I’d see it. It feels like a lot of people think it’s ‘over’ because it’s in a dip right now, but it looks like from trends in so many other countries it’ll be back at some point but hopefully not in a way like earlier this year.

You’re a doctor? Wow. You have my total respect. I can only imagine what it must have been like for the last six months. There’s no way I’d have the courage to do what you have to do and the personal sacrifices you’ve made must be bloody awful. But THANK YOU.
Close. Paramedic. So I get to drive fast as well 😂
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

El Scorchio

adrianjordan wrote:
07 Aug 2020, 15:22
El Scorchio wrote:
07 Aug 2020, 10:37
adrianjordan wrote:

Close. Paramedic. So I get to drive fast as well 😂
Well at least that's something! Either way huge respect.

Tommy Cookers

for 6 weeks the UK has had .....
a continuous decrease in Covid daily deaths and daily new hospitalisations ... but .....
a continuous increase in daily new 'confirmed cases' ie infections determined by test
(ok hospitalisations occur days after infection and deaths weeks after)

this anomaly is now so big that it is now being mentioned as 'news'
(and other European countries show a similar pattern)

the anomaly has been in part attributed to increased testing including increased non-selective 'sampling' ....
finding increased genuine (unsuspected as asymptomatic) infection and increased false positives .... and there's ....
increased transmission in young people disproportionately increasing asymptomatic and non-hospitalisation infection

it seems clear that infectivity has substantially increased and continues to increase ....
is this a hazard to the anticipated 2020 race program ?

is this a hazard to this site's membership demographic ?
(the checkout person for my 3-weekly food shopping was showing a respiratory infection - bacterial not viral I hope)
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 12 Aug 2020, 12:46, edited 1 time in total.

Big Tea

Tommy Cookers wrote:
12 Aug 2020, 12:29
for 6 weeks the UK has had .....
a continuous decrease in Covid daily deaths and daily new hospitalisations ... but .....
a continuous increase in daily new 'confirmed cases' ie infections determined by test

this anomaly is now so big that it is now being mentioned as 'news'
(and other European countries show a similar pattern)

the anomaly has been in part attributed to increased testing including increased non-selective 'sampling' ....
finding increased genuine (unsuspected as asymptomatic) infection and increased false positives .... and there's ....
increased transmission in young people disproportionately increasing asymptomatic and non-hospitalisation infection

it seems clear that infectivity has substantially increased and continues to increase ....
is this a hazard to the anticipated 2020 race program ?

is this a hazard to this site's membership demographic ?
(the checkout person for my 3-weekly food shopping was showing a respiratory infection - bacterial not viral I hope)

It is testing related. If you are not tested and do not die you did not have it.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

e30ernest

The percentage of positive results vs the number of tests performed would probably a better indicator at this point if infections are indeed increasing, or the additional cases are just the result of testing.

rscsr

e30ernest wrote:
12 Aug 2020, 12:38
The percentage of positive results vs the number of tests performed would probably a better indicator at this point if infections are indeed increasing, or the additional cases are just the result of testing.
But this is not really by itself a good indicator. When you have good contact tracing, you would expect a higher test positivity. Random testing is usually not a very good resource allocation. Unless you have a pretty high infection rate anyway.

Morteza

Wait, what?!
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

rscsr

I guess they gotta prove that their "vaccine" "works".

PlatinumZealot

A commenter exclaimed they will all get vaccinated through the entrance! Lol
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏