Racing Point RP20

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
siskue2005

Re: Racing Point RP20

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 13:47

Yes and you cant undo the knowledge they gained, but you are effectively running the 2019 part, you couldn't fit in 2019? Yes...? and now BD are listed.... so you cant do that.. so you cant use a 2019 part... fair enough?

RP claimed they did enough to design it themselves... FiA didnt agree...
RP doesnt agree with FIA and hence their protest against the decision.

Baulz

Is it allowed by the rules to let another team photograph and measure parts of their cars?

siskue2005

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 13:45

So in 10 years what will we think of the 2020 RP..?
Same as what we think about Williams now when they themselves brought a car from Brabham in 1969.
Teams do what is needed to survive, that is all! and if RP survive for another 50 years then they will talk about them as legends (just like how we talk about Williams)

siskue2005

Baulz wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 13:56
Is it allowed by the rules to let another team photograph and measure parts of their cars?
No, but anyone can take photographs of the car and make a good scale measurement using 3d scanners etc.

godlameroso

We still don't know exactly what makes these rear brake ducts so critical to performance. I'm guessing it's job is to get the tires in an ideal range of pressure and temperature. However it seems like the weather has to be right for it to work. When it's cool enough it works, when its too hot they go over target.

Had we had a normal season it would have worked out in Mercedes favor as it was a very mild spring. The modified season places the bulk of races dead in the middle of summer.
Saishū kōnā

PowerandtheGlory

siskue2005 wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 13:55
PowerandtheGlory wrote:

Yes and you cant undo the knowledge they gained, but you are effectively running the 2019 part, you couldn't fit in 2019? Yes...? and now BD are listed.... so you cant do that.. so you cant use a 2019 part... fair enough?

Yup, and now the billionaire team owner gets his lawyers involved..... eeek!!
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

siskue2005

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 13:59
siskue2005 wrote:
PowerandtheGlory wrote:

Every team has rights to protest whatever ruling FIA makes within a set time limit. Protest and getting lawyers involved are two different things, unless you are just trolling!

PowerandtheGlory

siskue2005 wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 14:08
PowerandtheGlory wrote:
siskue2005 wrote:

Every team has rights to protest whatever ruling FIA makes within a set time limit. Protest and getting lawyers involved are two different things, unless you are just trolling!
Being a bit cynical, probably at worst... :D
But if it goes to the lawyers then it may end up being who can get the best paid ones out there.. and its MERC & Stroll in one corner.. that's a lot of ££££..
of course all teams can protest and that's fine..
If anything this whole process will hopefully close whatever loop-hole or rabbit hole RP and Merc have used..
So in the end the result will be good even if the way of getting there has to be painful..
Reminds me of a holiday i once went on..
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

wesley123

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
Why wouldn't you be able to use a part you already had in 2019? Afaik there is nothing in the rules that stipulates you could only run a non-listed part you bought in the previous year if you ran it in that year.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

PowerandtheGlory

wesley123 wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 15:07
PowerandtheGlory wrote:
Why wouldn't you be able to use a part you already had in 2019? Afaik there is nothing in the rules that stipulates you could only run a non-listed part you bought in the previous year if you ran it in that year.
Valid argument, and that's probably what RP are saying as well.. I think the FiA are apply the rules to the letter.

I think there is a wider war going on between MERC and the FiA/commercial right holder and Liberty;

So Merc you wont sign the new concorde agreement...??

have a bit of this then...

https://www.planetf1.com/news/mercedes-party-mode-ban/

And i dont like it, but i think its a result of what i said. Merc are influencing too much and using the sport as their plaything, and its forcing the power that be to hobble them...

Which would be a shame as it undermines their brilliance..

You'd be gutted to be buying a Merc engine for next year only to find out your legendary party mode is going to be off the table...

Big Tea

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 15:05
siskue2005 wrote:
PowerandtheGlory wrote:

But if it goes to the lawyers then it may end up being who can get the best paid ones out there.. and its MERC & Stroll in one corner.. that's a lot of ££££..
If anything this whole process will hopefully close whatever loop-hole or rabbit hole RP and Merc have used..
So in the end the result will be good even if the way of getting there has to be painful..
Merc are not involved. Toto is, and says he was 'asked' to work as a moderator between teams and FIA.
Merc will not get involved unless they are dragged into the dispute and given ant blame. They are very, very careful with their reputation.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

PowerandtheGlory

Baulz wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 13:56
I would say its not exactly encouraged!!

But it depends, its now apparently really easy to just take photos of a car from lot of angles and get a fully working concept by the next year quite easily apparently.. :D

Edit: ok i'm being a little bit cheeky there...

PowerandtheGlory

Big Tea wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 15:23
PowerandtheGlory wrote:
siskue2005 wrote:

Merc are not involved. Toto is, and says he was 'asked' to work as a moderator between teams and FIA.
Merc will not get involved unless they are dragged into the dispute and given ant blame. They are very, very careful with their reputation.
Im sure Toto wants to be a mediator... i mean the RP uses a lot of Merecedes parts...

who does toto work for again... Some German car company i think

basti313

wesley123 wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 15:07
PowerandtheGlory wrote:
"Having" does not matter. In 2020 you are not allowed to run brake ducts from another team. If they would they would get directly DQ. But as they run copies, they do not interfere with the technical rules. The only problem is, that the do not use their own knowledge, but copy things they could only copy from having listed parts...that is not that easy...
Don`t russel the hamster!

Big Tea

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 15:35
Big Tea wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 15:23
PowerandtheGlory wrote:

Im sure Toto wants to be a mediator... i mean the RP uses a lot of Merecedes parts...

who does toto work for again... Some German car company i think
Of course, but there is no way Daimler would supply or finance lawyers in a case that was not against them.
Merc, and Toto have nothing to gain, nothing to lose. Why get involved when you can stay out of the game
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.