2020 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, August 14 - 16

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
El Scorchio

Re: 2020 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, August 14 - 16

zibby43 wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 16:32
JPBD1990 wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 15:47
There is no benefit to the sport, spectacle, or spectators To have different modes in qualifying. If a ban has even a one in one million chance of condensing the field, spicing up qualifying and giving more teams (most likely only redbull) a chance at taking some poles - DO IT YESTERDAY. Anyone opposed to this change has to be a Mercedes fan, there’s no other excuse.
Nobody at the FIA was concerned about quali modes last year when Ferrari was pulling 7 tenths out of a hat on the straights in freaking Singapore. Let that sink in.
Totally agree and just said exactly the same on the Quali mode thread. Bit of a coincidence this is coming now when Ferrari are really suffering on engine power and at a loss how to make it up.

GPR-A

epo wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 16:35
zibby43 wrote:
JPBD1990 wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 15:47
There is no benefit to the sport, spectacle, or spectators To have different modes in qualifying. If a ban has even a one in one million chance of condensing the field, spicing up qualifying and giving more teams (most likely only redbull) a chance at taking some poles - DO IT YESTERDAY. Anyone opposed to this change has to be a Mercedes fan, there’s no other excuse.
I thought we wanted to see drivers wrestling with the cars at full power during a quali lap.

Nobody at the FIA was concerned about quali modes last year when Ferrari was pulling 7 tenths out of a hat on the straights in freaking Singapore. Let that sink in.

I want the rules to be the same for everyone and let the best team wins - none of this spec series crap. If I want spec series crap, I’ll watch it.
Because from an entertaining perspective it was fun too see Mercedes struggling or fighting with Ferrari instead of the usual 1-3 Mercedes has.
Did someone just say Entertainment?

El Scorchio

GPR-A wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 16:43
epo wrote:
zibby43 wrote:

I thought we wanted to see drivers wrestling with the cars at full power during a quali lap.

I want the rules to be the same for everyone and let the best team wins - none of this spec series crap. If I want spec series crap, I’ll watch it.
Because from an entertaining perspective it was fun too see Mercedes struggling or fighting with Ferrari instead of the usual 1-3 Mercedes has.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/5f86474 ... /tenor.gif
Hahaha! Toto tombstone piledrives Horner onto a pile of tyres.

Seriously though it's a good point. They need to decide whether it's sport OR entertainment because those things are really different.
Seen as Liverpool were so much better than everyone else in the Premier League last year, should they have been forced to start games with only 10 men just to make it more entertaining and 'mix up' the league table a bit?

V12-POWER
V12-POWER

I give it 2 months before something big happens, things ain’t looking good

epo
epo

El Scorchio wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 16:51
GPR-A wrote:
epo wrote:

Seriously though it's a good point. They need to decide whether it's sport OR entertainment because those things are really different.
Seen as Liverpool were so much better than everyone else in the Premier League last year, should they have been forced to start games with only 10 men just to make it more entertaining and 'mix up' the league table a bit?
Tbh I really don’t care about the premier league, it’s just about who has the biggest pocket which hurts your national team as they suck.

Also Toto investing in RP, sending them the designs, sounds he is acting like a king and getting punished now.

dans79

GPR-A wrote:
I think if the word Entertainment was orange that alone would make some people very happy!
197 104 103 7

Big Tea

I think some people are going to have a rude awaking here. It is Qualli modes they want to ban, not Mercedes qaulli mode. It is quite possible Williams will consistently reach Q3 now
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

GPR-A

epo wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 16:56
El Scorchio wrote:
GPR-A wrote:

Tbh I really don’t care about the premier league, it’s just about who has the biggest pocket which hurts your national team as they suck.

Also Toto investing in RP, sending them the designs, sounds he is acting like a king and getting punished now.
Assuming he did, is he the first one to do so? Red Bull and Ferrari have been doing it with their sister teams. In fact, Ferrari even deployed their Chief Designer on Alfa Romeo and brought him back again! Just because RP got it spectacularly right, everyone's eyes are red. That's the difference. There were allegations on Ferrari that, they were using Haas' wind tunnel time just before Haas made their entry.

Racer X

Sergio's driving according to the BBC/F1.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

Ringleheim
Ringleheim

I was hoping we'd be spared this lame ass track this season. I guess not!

Prediction: Mercedes 1-2 with Hamilton on the top step, unless something unusual happens.

Ferrari is going to get destroyed around this place with this car.

El Scorchio

epo wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 16:56
El Scorchio wrote:
GPR-A wrote:

It doesn't matter whether you care about it or not. You're basically asking for the equivalent of that to happen in F1. In any other sport ideas like this would be seen as really ridiculous.

I'm sorry that you don't seem to like Mercedes winning in F1 but the rules shouldn't changed just in order to make you or other people happy.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Big Tea wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 17:04
I think some people are going to have a rude awaking here. It is Qualli modes they want to ban, not Mercedes qaulli mode. It is quite possible Williams will consistently reach Q3 now
How? The only thing that seems to be helping them now is the Mercedes quali mode as Russel is able to make it into Q2 often. In the race, the car is basically the slowest car out there.

Big Tea

Hammerfist wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 17:18
Big Tea wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 17:04
How? The only thing that seems to be helping them now is the Mercedes quali mode as Russel is able to make it into Q2 often. In the race, the car is basically the slowest car out there.
That seems to be the thinking of many. We will have to wait and see which engines and cars actually get hit. Remember Lando's last lap 'go to strat 8'? Renault obviously have a high return setting. They probably all have
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Racer X

But that if it happens will happen in Spa? So for Catalunha this isnt an issue. But i think if they were going to run a test they should have done it in Spain. Or even Silverstone #2?
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

search

yes, in Spa, the way I understand.

It'll be interesting to see what influence it has, and how it will develop. In the end, those who can run higher engine modes in the race wil benefit from it over the whole weekend - and that may very well be Mercedes as well.