FIA wants to ban qualifying modes in 2021

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: FIA wants to ban qualifying modes in 2021

dans79 wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 18:09
It will be a cacophony of complaints about every race being a procession.
No, but, yeah, but, no...ummm...oh bugger! :wink: :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

GPR-A

dans79 wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 18:09
Just_a_fan wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 18:00
That would be one of the Unintended Consequences I mentioned earlier. The drivers have an overtake button that basically allows them to use more of the engine's extreme performance (much like quali modes do) in order to have a brief bit of extra performance to attack/defend. Taking it away removes a tool from the drivers that will probably reduce racing on track.
Yep, we will go all the way back to pre KERS. The only way drivers will be able to pass after the first few corners will be with a huge tire offset, and DRS. And at most tracks even that won't be enough. It will be a cacophony of complaints about every race being a procession.
All the efficiency and reliability achieved over the past few years to cut down the cost of buying PU, is being threatened by this one decision, which could cost a few more millions for the customer teams, who wouldn't be happy to buy anymore PUs than what they have budgeted for AND they can't control their drivers being greedy and throttling the cars harder to gain some positions, which might blow the engines up with those aggressive modes.

All of this because, one team has done a superior job.

Baulz
Baulz

I can see Mercedes spending a lot of dyno time to figure out how hard they can push during the race without the damage from using a qualifying mode. They could end up with a bigger race pace advantage if this change goes through.

ispano6

Anyone else think it's just a matter of oil consumption being proportional between quali and race. If you use the quali mode in the race you exceed consumption limits. This rule simply makes it so that you cannot have an advantage in quali that you wouldn't have over the span of a race. Or am I unique in thinking so.

Drivers don't need modes to protect an engine, they just shouldn't mash the pedal all the time, they need to modulate their pedal inputs with their feet, like microsteering.

To the same boys down voting every comment I make with regard to oil consumption, watch this video. Oil, additive, water, whatever you want to call it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... _mercedes/
Last edited by ispano6 on 13 Aug 2020, 18:31, edited 1 time in total.

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

the EDGE wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 18:13
So this is the only explanation I have managed to find so far of how this new role will be Implemented
One theory is this will be enforced by requiring teams to use their qualifying modes for a percentage of the race that would not be achievable with the current peak performance setting because of the impact it has on engine life and battery management.
https://the-race.com/formula-1/special- ... ter-spain/

This would obviously seriously impact any supplier with reliability issues far more than the team with the best track-record for reliability

Have the FIA actually released any details of the new regulation yet? Or is this just another poorly thought out knee-jerk reaction that will make things worse like all of her other knee jerk reactions have done
As I've said earlier I think they are wrong. In the race there will be opportunities to switch on the higher mode and just cruise around so it would be pointless.

But then again, so is most of what FIA do..

Blackout

It depends on the percentage. FIA can put the percentage at 100% :mrgreen:

MtthsMlw

How can I understand comments like this from Leclerc?
"But for us I can say that we don’t have anything different from quali to the race so for us I don’t think it will change anything.”
They are thinking not so much about trivial stuff like depleting the whole ES over one lap but more about much more agressive (ICE) engine maps? Like boost, ignition timing, fuel mix etc.
Hard to explain.

dans79

ispano6 wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 18:20
Drivers don't need modes to protect an engine, they just shouldn't mash the pedal all the time, they need to modulate their pedal inputs with their feet, like microsteering.
I think you lack understanding about what all the engine modes are actually doing. A lot more is being changed that what the driver can do with a pedal!
197 104 103 7

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

ispano6 wrote:
Anyone else think it's just a matter of oil consumption being proportional between quali and race. If you use the quali mode in the race you exceed consumption limits. This rule simply makes it so that you cannot have an advantage in quali that you wouldn't have over the span of a race. Or am I unique in thinking so.

To the same boys down voting every comment I make with regard to oil consumption, watch this video. Oil, additive, water, whatever you want to call it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... _mercedes/
It's coming out of the breather. How do you explain that ?

toraabe
toraabe

Well. Just run quali mode and a three step throttle pedal where you just are pushing through two spring step so the first step is normal full throttle. Second pushed through is overtake and the third is partymode.

El Scorchio

MtthsMlw wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 18:32
How can I understand comments like this from Leclerc?
"But for us I can say that we don’t have anything different from quali to the race so for us I don’t think it will change anything.”
They are thinking not so much about trivial stuff like depleting the whole ES over one lap but more about much more agressive (ICE) engine maps? Like boost, ignition timing, fuel mix etc.
Hard to explain.
Unless one comes to the conclusion that this new rule might well just be to greatly benefit a particular team who at the moment seems to specifically have a woefully underpowered engine compared to the other three manufacturers?....

dren

the EDGE wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 18:13
So this is the only explanation I have managed to find so far of how this new role will be Implemented
One theory is this will be enforced by requiring teams to use their qualifying modes for a percentage of the race that would not be achievable with the current peak performance setting because of the impact it has on engine life and battery management.
https://the-race.com/formula-1/special- ... ter-spain/

This would obviously seriously impact any supplier with reliability issues far more than the team with the best track-record for reliability

Have the FIA actually released any details of the new regulation yet? Or is this just another poorly thought out knee-jerk reaction that will make things worse like all of her other knee jerk reactions have done
They could do something more along the lines of saying you have to run your first stint on the map you qualified with. Some would dial back the quali map, others might run a very short first stint.
Honda!

littlebigcat
littlebigcat

dans79 wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 18:49
ispano6 wrote:
I think you lack understanding about what all the engine modes are actually doing. A lot more is being changed that what the driver can do with a pedal!
Yep, the modes change the regen which means they change the ratio of the ERS and rear disc braking to keep the balance consistent with what the driver has set.

Also having any physical step in the pedals is banned specifically in the rules.

In some reports this also reads like they want to limit all cars to a single engine more from quali onwards. This would reduce the amount of prerace simulation the teams do back at the factory over Saturday night.

Big Tea

Of course, the phrase 'the same engine map' can, if you have a foil hat, be interpreted as the same engine map -for all.

Standardised engine maps?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

henry

toraabe wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 19:04
Well. Just run quali mode and a three step throttle pedal where you just are pushing through two spring step so the first step is normal full throttle. Second pushed through is overtake and the third is partymode.
Illegal. There can’t be any driver identifiable positions in the pedal travel
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus