2020 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, August 14 - 16

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
siskue2005

Re: 2020 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, August 14 - 16

search wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 18:01
yes, in Spa, the way I understand.

It'll be interesting to see what influence it has, and how it will develop. In the end, those who can run higher engine modes in the race wil benefit from it over the whole weekend - and that may very well be Mercedes as well.
Yeah i too think that is what going to happen. Remember banning the FRIC suspension system? Merc were even further away from the next team after that.
It is not like Merc are the only team with quali mods, the gap now is 1 sec, maybe after the ban it will be 0.9 sec :lol:
And on the circuit like Hungary Merc were faster by 1 sec, and i think quali mods have very little effect in Hungary

search

let's hope it'll lead to some teams risking something, maybe even going over the limit.

Most teams will probably be cautious at the beginning though. If I was Claire Williams, I'd order a new set of Mercedes engines just for Spa, run it at the highest possible mode to get through one race only, and head back home with a double points finish.

Racer X

siskue2005 wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 18:11

Yeah i too think that is what going to happen. Remember banning the FRIC suspension system? Merc were even further away from the next team after that.
It is not like Merc are the only team with quali mods, the gap now is 1 sec, maybe after the ban it will be 0.9 sec :lol:
And on the circuit like Hungary Merc were faster by 1 sec, and i think quali mods have very little effect in Hungary
That's why i wish they would have taken it away for Silverstone #2 or Spain in places where we can really see the difference.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

siskue2005

search wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 18:17
let's hope it'll lead to some teams risking something, maybe even going over the limit.

Most teams will probably be cautious at the beginning though. If I was Claire Williams, I'd order a new set of Mercedes engines just for Spa, run it at the highest possible mode to get through one race only, and head back home with a double points finish.
Yes that is a possibility

But what i think will happen is teams running mods somewhere in between their current race and quali mods
and this will lead to more lift and coasting in the race to save fuel and engine.
Again i believe this will lead to no more overtake mode in the race, so more dull racing and processions :(

epo
epo

siskue2005 wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 18:23
search wrote:

But what i think will happen is teams running mods somewhere in between their current race and quali mods
and this will lead to more lift and coasting in the race to save fuel and engine.
Again i believe this will lead to no more overtake mode in the race, so more dull racing and processions :(
Usually if someone uses the overtake button, the other guy in front uses that button too, so no difference in the end.
The good part is drivers are now responsible for fuel saving, tire saving, engine saving etc. We will see how it will work out or not.

siskue2005

epo wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 18:46
siskue2005 wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 18:23
search wrote:

Usually if someone uses the overtake button, the other guy in front uses that button too, so no difference in the end.

They attacker and the defender dont usually use it in the exact same place; so there is a difference.
If you have raced f1 games online then you will understand, it can be used in all sorts of combinations.

For example in Brazil 2019 Lewis got overtaken coz he had already depleted his battery using it the lap before and Max used it while Lewis' battery was gone and over took him.
The good part is drivers are now responsible for fuel saving, tire saving, engine saving etc. We will see how it will work out or not.
Dont know how engine mapping is used for tire saving but there wont be any change in that, all the drivers are already doing it one their own, the engine mapping is just a tool. The race pace will decrease a bit over the entire field.

And Also no more massive undercuts. .. another blow to racing in my opinion

zibby43
zibby43

Another friendly reminder:

Publications are obviously trying to drum up publicity for this possible move, but at this point, nothing is official.

To be honest, I doubt it happens. I think this is a leverage/bargaining chip move.

Williams, Racing Point, Mercedes, Renault, and McLaren will be very much opposed, as they have the strongest quali modes right now.

But Honda will be affected too.

Big Tea

zibby43 wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 19:46
Another friendly reminder:

Publications are obviously trying to drum up publicity for this possible move, but at this point, nothing is official.

To be honest, I doubt it happens. I think this is a leverage/bargaining chip move.

Williams, Racing Point, Mercedes, Renault, and McLaren will be very much opposed, as they have the strongest quali modes right now.

But Honda will be affected too.
removed
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

simieski
simieski

epo wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 16:13
GPR-A wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 16:11
JPBD1990 wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 16:04

I hate this new culture of saying MERCEDES DID THE BEST JOB IF YOU QUESTION IT YOURE A SORE LOSER. Ya know what I’m here for? Some bloody good racing. Qualifying can be one of the most exciting parts of a race weekend. If this makes it closer and more competitive, it HAS to be a good thing right?

People defending Mercedes are the same as Apple fans who say THE IPHONE IS THE BEST BECAUSE IT SELLS SO WELL AND APPLE MAKES SO MUCH MONEY... that doesn’t make it an anymore compelling proposition to the consumer.

Mercedes is objectively the best. No one can take that away from them. But now can we get a good show please?
Thank god there was no "AthleticsTechnical.com" public website, where discussions happened about the ability of a sprinter. Otherwise, people would have cried foul with the superiority of Usain Bolt and asked something to be done to stop his dominance and allow others to compete!
Just log off, chill take a bear and enjoy the weather.
I dunno, sounds pretty dangerous and would probably have the opposite effect to chilling.
Thank you to God for making me an Atheist - Ricky Gervais.

TheGkbrk
TheGkbrk

The ban is fine. What is there Mercedes didn't achieve in the books of Formula 1 in 7 seasons? They are the most successful team of all time, in the most dominant era for a team in history. With the significant changes coming 2022, it will be a fresh start for everyone anyways. Let's try to have some fun for at least a season. AND the whole ban probably won't make them much weaker. Let FIA try some new things, for all of us.
Last edited by TheGkbrk on 13 Aug 2020, 21:00, edited 1 time in total.

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

Banning of high modes will make zero difference. If anything it may increase the breakdown rate of non-Merc engines if they lean towards higher modes for all the weekend. :D :D :D

Big Tea

foxmulder_ms wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 20:57
Banning of high modes will make zero difference. If anything it may increase the breakdown rate of non-Merc engines if they lean towards higher modes for all the weekend. :D :D :D
6 months on people will be complaining that Mercedes persuading FIA to ban qualifying modes is how they won the championship again and sabotaged their new engine development
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

JPBD1990 wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 15:56
Restomaniac wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 15:52
Yes let’s punish a team and engine manufacturer for doing an amazing job.

How dare Mercedes do a good job. Who do they think the are. No problems though like when the banned Fric Mercedes will find a way and everybody else will continue but moan like hell.
That’s F1 baby. Remember when they changed the entire points system when Ferrari was dominating to make championships closer? Or when they banned tire changes during the race specifically to handicap Ferrari/Bridgestone’s advantage? Or when they banned the double diffuser? The blown diffuser? Fric? Etc etc.
Which of those occurred mid-season?
If something is disproportionately benefiting one team, shouldn’t the rules or governing body intervene to tighten the pack again? F1 has always ebbed and flowed like this. It is ENTERTAINMENT at the end of the day, as confirmed by Liberty themselves.
No, they shouldn't.

F1 isn't entertainment. It's marketing. The entertainment in motorsport is that of the competitors. That others might like to watch is not why motorsport exists. Motorsport exists for the competitors.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

z.topoln
z.topoln

Just_a_fan wrote:
JPBD1990 wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 15:56
Restomaniac wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 15:52
Yes let’s punish a team and engine manufacturer for doing an amazing job.

How dare Mercedes do a good job. Who do they think the are. No problems though like when the banned Fric Mercedes will find a way and everybody else will continue but moan like hell.
That’s F1 baby. Remember when they changed the entire points system when Ferrari was dominating to make championships closer? Or when they banned tire changes during the race specifically to handicap Ferrari/Bridgestone’s advantage? Or when they banned the double diffuser? The blown diffuser? Fric? Etc etc.
Which of those occurred mid-season?
If something is disproportionately benefiting one team, shouldn’t the rules or governing body intervene to tighten the pack again? F1 has always ebbed and flowed like this. It is ENTERTAINMENT at the end of the day, as confirmed by Liberty themselves.
No, they shouldn't.

F1 isn't entertainment. It's marketing. The entertainment in motorsport is that of the competitors. That others might like to watch is not why motorsport exists. Motorsport exists for the competitors.
Something exists for the purpose its owners see fit. F1, like it or not, is owned by Liberty media. If they see it as entertainment, then its that, and not a sport.

Sent from my Mi Note 10 using Tapatalk

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

TheGkbrk wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 20:54
The ban is fine. What is there Mercedes didn't achieve in the books of Formula 1 in 7 seasons? They are the most successful team of all time, in the most dominant era for a team in history. With the significant changes coming 2022, it will be a fresh start for everyone anyways. Let's try to have some fun for at least a season. AND the whole ban probably won't make them much weaker. Let FIA try some new things, for all of us.
This much more succinctly says what I was trying to say in my earlier posts that have rubbed so many people the wrong way.

Mercedes is the best. I don’t think this will stop them from wiping the floor with everyone else this season, so WHY NOT? If it gives us some nail biting quali’s hasn’t it done it’s job?

People going on about technical excellence and stopping them because they’re the best - but the truth is no one has any idea what the engines are doing in quali and how they differ from the race, so what is it giving you as a spectator?

I love the sport of F1 and the technological race as much as the next person. In fact that’s why I started watching F1. But, can’t people see that F1 has a storied history of trying to hamstring the most dominant team in the interests of closer competition? This isn’t new or unfair. Lest we forget this won’t just impact Mercedes, but Honda and Renault also (ferrari say they don’t have a quali mode this year) - so in essence, we’re in the same place anyway competitiveness-wise -

BUT, we have removed an arbitrary distinction between Saturday and Sunday that simply does not benefit the sport, the brand of F1, or the spectator. If this wasn’t publicised, fans wouldn’t even know is the reality - so then again, what is it’s value to people?