[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
_cerber1

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

martinbeiker wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 19:18
Article about the cooling problems Carlos' car experienced at Silverstone: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ques ... z/4855452/
"The car in winter testing felt pretty good. I feel the last sector is a bit of a weakness for this car, so we need to keep an eye on it and see how we can keep improving in these areas."

:evil: :evil: :evil:

haza

SmallSoldier wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 18:52
diffuser wrote:
haza wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 17:08
l

If they are using the same chassis with different PU surely it’d be dubbed MCL35-B for next year
Except that they can't fit a Merc PU in this chassis as is.
We've talked this to death but the Merc has the turbo in front of the PU.
So transmission will be shorter. Probably a redesign of the fuel cell. The weight balance of the car will have to be re-examined. They still have a rear mechanical grip issue.
Or they could have a rear mechanical grip improvement? Yes, the change will have an impact on the car, but whether it will be a positive impact or negative, we just don’t know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thinking about It youd think they’d have COG improvement as the Renault PU has turbine and compressor Right at the rear where as the Mercedes PU is using the split concept surely that’d balance the weight some what

djos

SmallSoldier wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 18:49
Ground Effect wrote:
diffuser wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 06:45

I hate what RP did but they bought the plans from Merc and they're aren't any rules stating how different the parts should be from the original design or even that they have to be different. So although I am happy that Ferrari and Renault are appealing, I don't understand the basis of the appeal.
They’re appealing the leniency of the punishment and also, if they were in breach of usage of the rear brake ducts, why are they still allowed to use it? In my opinion, that’s why they’re appealing. But it would be pointless to tell them to redesign, they’ll come up with the same design.
That’s the one argument that I don’t buy... That they will come up with the same design... If the design wasn’t theirs to begin with and this season it isn’t allowed... They need to come up with a different design, that simple... Modify it until it isn’t considered a Mercedes design, will this rob them of performance? Probably, but if the rule is clear, they have to comply.

I totally agree, if you looks at Haas - last year they had Ferrari brakes and this year they designed their own and have had teething troubles with them. Tracing Point have illegally copied last year's Merc supplied design and avoided any issues.
"In downforce we trust"

diffuser

SmallSoldier wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 18:52
diffuser wrote:
haza wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 17:08
l

If they are using the same chassis with different PU surely it’d be dubbed MCL35-B for next year
Except that they can't fit a Merc PU in this chassis as is.
We've talked this to death but the Merc has the turbo in front of the PU.
So transmission will be shorter. Probably a redesign of the fuel cell. The weight balance of the car will have to be re-examined. They still have a rear mechanical grip issue.
Or they could have a rear mechanical grip improvement? Yes, the change will have an impact on the car, but whether it will be a positive impact or negative, we just don’t know.

I was just saying, making those changes will likely not resolve the MG issue. So they'll have to do those changes with MG in mind and anything else that the regs allow. I think we're all talking about MG in low speed curves. Which I think is more suspension related.

Ironically, Renault have a much better MG and they had offered it to us as part of the new, now dead, PU deal.

I think they have never really improved the rear MG since 2015. Maybe even prior to that. But I'm just guessing.

Szabi1112

According to the previous races i think high downforce and warm weather seem to be favorable to us. What are your opinion?

_cerber1

mwillems

diffuser wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 15:59
Ground Effect wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 09:22
diffuser wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 06:45

I hate what RP did but they bought the plans from Merc and they're aren't any rules stating how different the parts should be from the original design or even that they have to be different. So although I am happy that Ferrari and Renault are appealing, I don't understand the basis of the appeal.
They’re appealing the leniency of the punishment and also, if they were in breach of usage of the rear brake ducts, why are they still allowed to use it? In my opinion, that’s why they’re appealing. But it would be pointless to tell them to redesign, they’ll come up with the same design.

If you really think about this WHOLE copying thing. The only reason why copying made sense to RP is that the 2019 Merc was so far ahead of most cars and more specifically RP. There was no way that any RP design could have made up the almost 2.5 seconds a lap they were down at the 2019 Spanish GP in the off season. If all the cars were < than 1 second apart(From first to last), it wouldn't be worth copying. I think It all comes down to the HUGE descrempancy in the budgets that will be going away this year. So I think this will all be a moot point after this year. I do beleive the regs still need the clarification.
Agreed.

Part of it may have been with the intention of doing less further development on the 2020 car and focusing on the new regs earlier than others. I don't see it as being much more than a one off for RP, although other teams may have done the same in the future.

If Stroll is linking his team to Aston Martin he isn't going to be OK with copying a Mercedes all the time, there will be no marketing bonus to that and may become a joke in the name of Aston Martin.

I understand that this has annoyed a lot of people, I just don't think it is as bad as people make out. I fully believe that Wolff gave Stroll a lift up to help out a powerful friend, but only a small technicality of the whole project is a breach at this point there is largely nothing wrong with what has happened in terms of the rules.

F1 want to stop it in the future, fair enough (But it could be a very grey area I think), but honestly, Kudos to racing point, what they did was brilliant and if it wasn't for COVID-19 then they would have had more time to reveal a faster Aston Martin to the track next year.

And let's face it, F1 can be so anodyne at the moment that this argument only helps it, as well as having another team pushing near the top and causing some more decisions for the top teams.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Lucky

billamend

diffuser

Looks like they replaced Sainz's chassis in a effort to resolve the cooling problems.

mclaren111

https://www.racefans.net/2020/08/14/mcl ... -for-2021/

Hope we can resolve this to our favor...

bauc

mclaren111 wrote:
14 Aug 2020, 14:31

I think we will, its simply not fair and gives free upgrade path to few teams
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

holeindalip

bauc wrote:
14 Aug 2020, 15:05
mclaren111 wrote:
14 Aug 2020, 14:31

I think we will, its simply not fair and gives free upgrade path to few teams
Yes even when haas that car was very suspect when it dropped every year along with the Alfa having the same front wing idealology as the Ferrari

ALO_Power

How were the long runs?

diffuser

I don't get these df limits the FIA are getting ready to introduce... it's all tied to the tires, wouldn't it just been easier to impose a number of laps limit on the tires before the race?