Real reasons of Indonesian young auto racing drivers are struggling for F1 graduation after Rio Haryanto

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
theriusDR3

Real reasons of Indonesian young auto racing drivers are struggling for F1 graduation after Rio Haryanto

Rio Haryanto, the one and only Indonesian auto racing driver in Formula One to date.

Almost every Indonesian young drivers are struggle to F1 graduation because of funding and SuperLicence points requirements for F1 graduation (40 points). Only Rio Haryanto can manage the F1 graduation in 2016 but sadly Rio Haryanto's F1 season was cut short due to lack of funding and sponsorship. Sean Gelael is only the Indonesian hope of F1 graduation is ultimately impossible for F1 graduation due to lack of SuperLicence points (Gelael still 6) and also Gelael is always struggle in GP2/F2 despite scored 2 podiums overall in GP2/F2 (Red Bull Ring 2016 and Monte Carlo 2018) but all those Gelael's podiums are fluke due to his opponents mostly crashed. Presley Martono is the last Indonesian hope to graduate to F1 in the future but sadly Martono cannot race due to Martono studied in USA. Sorry to say, but i admit motorsport in Indonesia are more expensive than football. Ananda Mikola was also close to F1 graduation in 2002 but due to his bad attitude and lack of good form prevented Mikola for F1 graduation that time. I'm sad to see Indonesia fallen behind other SEA countries in motorsports in the last 25 years.

Lack of regeneration and nursery will hurt Indonesian motorsports future i believe. Indonesian Motorsport Association is now being a corrupt and messy federation right now like football.

Your opinions?
Last edited by theriusDR3 on 16 Aug 2020, 06:44, edited 1 time in total.

PlatinumZealot

Re: Real reasons of Indonesian young auto racing drivers are struggling for F1 graduation after Rio Haryanto

My opinion. MONEY. + TALENT.

Rio wasnt that bada driver. Did decent in the Marussia.
Galeal has been bandying around for some years now, he definitely has the money, but not the talent. No good impression after quite a number of F1 tests.
I suggest that Indonesians put all the money in one basket, and then do a driver search programme like Vijay did.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

raymondu999

Re: Real reasons of Indonesian young auto racing drivers are struggling for F1 graduation after Rio Haryanto

PlatinumZealot wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 19:14

Would Marussia have taken him in without the Pertamina and Kiky sponsorship money though? Once that got cut Rio lost his seat midseason. I remember in a young driver test he was in the same car as Charles Pic and finished some 6-7 seconds off on his single flier.
Galeal has been bandying around for some years now, he definitely has the money, but not the talent. No good impression after quite a number of F1 tests.
I agree. His father is very rich, but the problem is I think now even if Sean G. had the superlicense points, no team would take him on (barring his father buying him an F1 team). I mean... he's been in GP/F2 what? 7-8 years? With nothing to show for it.

I think the big thing is budget. Indonesia is still a very low GDP country, and auto racing requires big budgets. The viewership in Indonesia is also very low, not enough for people to be interested enough to invest on such budgets. Motorcycle racing has a much bigger following in Indonesia.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

theriusDR3

raymondu999 wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 03:07
PlatinumZealot wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 19:14

Would Marussia have taken him in without the Pertamina and Kiky sponsorship money though? Once that got cut Rio lost his seat midseason. I remember in a young driver test he was in the same car as Charles Pic and finished some 6-7 seconds off on his single flier.
I agree. His father is very rich, but the problem is I think now even if Sean G. had the superlicense points, no team would take him on (barring his father buying him an F1 team). I mean... he's been in GP/F2 what? 7-8 years? With nothing to show for it.

I think the big thing is budget. Indonesia is still a very low GDP country, and auto racing requires big budgets. The viewership in Indonesia is also very low, not enough for people to be interested enough to invest on such budgets. Motorcycle racing has a much bigger following in Indonesia.
Indonesian sports interest mindset are favouring football over motorsports IMHO.

NL_Fer

Every driver in Indonesia drive like they are F1 daily though. Of they are not in traffic.

raymondu999

theriusDR3 wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 04:32
Indonesian sports interest mindset are favouring football over motorsports IMHO.
Oh very much so. But among the motorsports MotoGP clearly has a lead over Formula One. Even Formula E which was slated to race in Jakarta this year doesn’t have the same following.
NL_Fer wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 10:00
Every driver in Indonesia drive like they are F1 daily though. Of they are not in traffic.
That also means they never drive like an F1 driver, considering the amount of traffic lol
失败者找理由,成功者找方法