2020 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, August 14 - 16

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Schuttelberg

Re: 2020 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, August 14 - 16

JordanMugen wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 17:01
Schuttelberg wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 16:53
My mind boggles as to how pathetic Bottas is!
In that case, why was Bottas renewed instead of promoting the exciting Russell? :wtf: #-o

Fans would like to see a Hamilton - Russell pairing, yet Mercedes refuses it. :?:

Anyway, there was plenty of good close midfield action in this race. I was surprised how close the cars could follow in the mid-pack. =D> :)
I mean you have to be quite insane to come back with that nonsense.

Fans, or at least the sensible ones don't care who wins. They want competition. In a car that's a second a lap faster in Q and been half a second faster in race trim barring one anomaly, Bottas is behind Verstappen in the championship and most races.

Mercedes is riding the crest of the Hamilton wave, it won't last forever so those questions are better posed at Mercedes bosses.

Today was actually a truer picture of the difference between Bottas & Hamilton. The reason Hamilton won today by that margin was because there was a chance of rain later in the race and Hamilton knew it was best to build a buffer to Verstappen in case something went wrong if there was a downpour. I'm not saying Lewis dreads the rain, quite the opposite but he built a cushion in case something went wrong on his or the team's side. There is a reason Hamilton is all over the back of Bottas every time Bottas does end up ahead in a GP.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

Schuttelberg wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 16:59
MtthsMlw wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 16:51
Vettel 37 laps on Softs. Well managed.
The boxed both Seb and Charles on the same lap with different tyres. They are clearly making sure they score points with one car or what I don't know but it's just not making any sense whatsoever to me.
The level of communication from Vettel's race engineer today was laughable.

It looks like an incredibly acrimonious split. If Vettel had known it would get this bad so quickly I don't think he would have bothered racing this year at all.

wesley123
wesley123

Schuttelberg wrote:
He looked worse than he really is. He was caught napping at the start and prioritized the wrong guy. I don't think Verstappen would have come in second if Bottas was second out of the first corner.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

JordanMugen wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:
In that case, why was Bottas renewed instead of promoting the exciting Russell? :wtf: #-o

Fans would like to see a Hamilton - Russell pairing, yet Mercedes refuses it. :?:

Anyway, there was plenty of good close midfield action in this race. I was surprised how close the cars could follow in the mid-pack. =D> :)
For the obvious reasons.

Racer X

Boring I kept falling a sleep.

Leclerc with an engine issue was the only thing that really stood out. Everything else was predictable....
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

ispano6

The compounds and conditions didn't work in Red Bull's favor. Max knew he wasn't going to catch Hamilton, so there was no reason to try to catch him. He just needed to do enough to stay ahead of Bottas. Next race is back to Silverstone2 compounds which should suit Max better.

Racer X

Fulcrum wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 17:27
JordanMugen wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:

For the obvious reasons.
Yeah Ferrari was the strongest midfield team Vettel did good.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

atanatizante

What a sore loser RBR are ... they ruined ALB`s race putting him on hard tyres just for getting an answer if VER could go until the end of the race!
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

dans79

JordanMugen wrote:
All the teams, are in the business of winning not giving the fans what they want. In many cases giving the fans what they want is counterproductive to the task of winning.
197 104 103 7

Moore77

ispano6 wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 17:30
The compounds and conditions didn't work in Red Bull's favor. Max knew he wasn't going to catch Hamilton, so there was no reason to try to catch him. He just needed to do enough to stay ahead of Bottas. Next race is back to Silverstone2 compounds which should suit Max better.
Sorry, but which race were you watching? Lewis and Max both used the exact same tyres that was used in Silverstone2. C2 and C3. Mercedes didn't touch C1 here and Max didn't use C4 in Silverstone2.
Last edited by Moore77 on 16 Aug 2020, 17:34, edited 1 time in total.
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

dans79

ispano6 wrote:
do you really think it's going to be as hot in spa in two weeks as it was in Barcelona today?
197 104 103 7

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

ispano6 wrote:
If they aren’t being used as balloon tyres then I doubt it.

matt_b
matt_b

Moore77 wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 17:32
ispano6 wrote:
Sorry, but which race were you watching? Lewis and Max both used the exact same tyres that was used in Silverstone2. C2 and C3. Mercedes didn't touch C1 here and Max didn't use C4 in Silverstone2.
=D>

JonoNic

Restomaniac wrote:So Hamilton instinctively told the team to NOT fit the Soft even though they were adamant but to fit the Medium instead and he was completely correct. Wolff said it was amazing that he could see it when the team couldn’t and that putting them on Bottas at the end was wrong.

It has echos of Verstappen last week who told the team that driving like a grandma was a bad idea. Some drivers have amazing instincts
Hence the masterclass comment. Ok, I get it. My internet is not that good at the moment so I couldn't watch the last part of the race.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Always find the gap then use it.

Schuttelberg

Fulcrum wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 17:26
Schuttelberg wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 16:59
MtthsMlw wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 16:51
Vettel 37 laps on Softs. Well managed.
The boxed both Seb and Charles on the same lap with different tyres. They are clearly making sure they score points with one car or what I don't know but it's just not making any sense whatsoever to me.
The level of communication from Vettel's race engineer today was laughable.

It looks like an incredibly acrimonious split. If Vettel had known it would get this bad so quickly I don't think he would have bothered racing this year at all.
It's not just the communication. They are openly making sure Charles finishes ahead come hell or high water. Both pitted on Lap 28. Seb had M's on and Charles had S. It's not like there was a safety car. There is no logic. Seb did 38 laps on the S tyre. If they had been reasonable, P4 was easy in Seb's car and if Charles was in the race, he would have got P4.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"