Renault F1 R.S. 20

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
siskue2005

Re: Renault F1 R.S. 20

Blackout wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 11:25
That was already the case at the beginning of the season but:
"Ricciardo praised the steps Renault had taken during the break between the two Silverstone races. Although the yellow-black cars showed a strong form already on Friday, over night a new set-up allowed another step forward. The ominous mechanical change on the car allowed new set-ups, which had a positive effect especially in the fast corners. And exactly those were the weaknesses of Renault so far. "The rear is now much more stable in the fast corners. I can now fully drive Copse Corner for the first time," praised Ricciardo."
The exit was already good but now the entry is better too.

Last week, the car was relatively slow in S2. Now they found a big amount of pace in S2 without scarifying S1 or S3 and without putting more rear wing.
Yes, seems like new setups are good
Sky team were saying that back to back races in Silverstone has allowed them some setup break through

djos

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 10:25
Pleased with the speed from Daniel...
But lets address the elephant in the room...
Estaban just isnt quick.....
I know he had a year out, but he’s making the car look average...
And daniel is making the car look good...
Well while Esteban is a very good driver, I think it’s very clear Daniel is an excellent driver. Last year he dominated hulk too.
"In downforce we trust"

PowerandtheGlory

djos wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 11:28
PowerandtheGlory wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 10:25
Pleased with the speed from Daniel...
But lets address the elephant in the room...
Estaban just isnt quick.....
I know he had a year out, but he’s making the car look average...
And daniel is making the car look good...
Well while Esteban is a very good driver, I think it’s very clear Daniel is an excellent driver. Last year he dominated hulk too.
Looks like the rear of the car is suiting Daniel more, shame about Ocon’s crash...
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

Mansell89

Renault were dire in the race today having looked handy at Silverstone and quick in free practice.

Any explanations?

holeindalip

Mansell89 wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 17:03
Renault were dire in the race today having looked handy at Silverstone and quick in free practice.

Any explanations?
Catalunya will expose a bad chassis, they go there for testing purposes because it has all types of corners....

Mansell89

Really think it’s a poor chassis?

I thought Renault had shown signs of progress in recent weekends.

JordanMugen

Mansell89 wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 17:25

The Renault still doesn't like long corners I think. High rake and unstable rear downforce I guess. It's improved compared to RS19 but still not fixed 100% I presume. Possibly compenstated by more rear wing, which makes them slow on the straights (?).

If the RS20 was producing efficient peak downforce from the floor consistently, and offering great confidence for the drivers to attack the circuit, surely it would be higher up the running order? :?:

holeindalip

Mansell89 wrote:

Back to back races let them explore different setups, although the second race had higher pressures and softer tires, maybe that helped their issues more than the others just like red bull....

zack!

Any changes from last GP ? For monza at least the engine mapping will chnage (party mode regulation), should benefit to the car, and then any upgrade announcements ?

Blackout

JordanMugen wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 17:44
Mansell89 wrote:

The Renault still doesn't like long corners I think. High rake and unstable rear downforce I guess. It's improved compared to RS19 but still not fixed 100% I presume. Possibly compenstated by more rear wing, which makes them slow on the straights (?).

If the RS20 was producing efficient peak downforce from the floor consistently, and offering great confidence for the drivers to attack the circuit, surely it would be higher up the running order? :?:
Medium and long corners improved a lot in 2020.
BTW, in Spa this car has more or less dominated its closest rivals (MCL and RP) in the 'twisty' s2 too, all weekend.

The car DF simply lacks efficiency when the track requires maximum downforce (Hungary, Barcelona, Imola?, Abu Dhabi...)
So the cars produces too little DF and too much drag when the track requires 100% DF.
So when everybody bolts the maximum downforce package on, the Renault gains less DF, than say the Mclaren, but gains the same amount of drag, or more.
This is a constant since two or three seasons.
But the car wasnt miles away from the best of the rest in Barcelona. The gaps were tiny. And the race pace and tire management were still good.

The RS.19 wasnt bad at medium+ DF tracks, it was neck and neck with the Mclaren and could beat them in the race... but this year there is another contender... the Pink Mercedes.

Morteza

Last edited by Morteza on 03 Sep 2020, 20:45, edited 1 time in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

SirBastianVettel

Looks pretty much the same?

Morteza

SirBastianVettel wrote:
03 Sep 2020, 12:40
Yup, just a tiny bit less downforce wing than what they had in Spa.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

djos

SirBastianVettel wrote:
03 Sep 2020, 12:40
There's a smaller gurney flap on the Monza wing.
"In downforce we trust"

Morteza

New deflectors (via @SomersF1)