[ 2020 ] Scuderia Ferrari - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
f1316
f1316

Re: [ 2020 ] Scuderia Ferrari - Ferrari

If there’s one bright spot for Ferrari - and I know it’s tough to see because I also despair as to how it’s evolved over the past two seasons (remember Silverstone 2018 anyone? That’s the last time they were on top) - it’s that they do seem extremely kind on their tyres. Being wrapped up in traffic and unable to pass in Spain made it very difficult to do much with it but I think Leclerc may have been on for 5th without his problems.

It’s nothing to write home about but the ban on quali modes may help them qualify a little further up, which should also mean they can do a little more with that race pace. It’ll still be maximum 4th place without dramas for others, which is a pretty incredible thing for Ferrari to be targeting.

mafeotul
mafeotul

f1316 wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 11:28
If there’s one bright spot for Ferrari - and I know it’s tough to see because I also despair as to how it’s evolved over the past two seasons (remember Silverstone 2018 anyone? That’s the last time they were on top) - it’s that they do seem extremely kind on their tyres. Being wrapped up in traffic and unable to pass in Spain made it very difficult to do much with it but I think Leclerc may have been on for 5th without his problems.

It’s nothing to write home about but the ban on quali modes may help them qualify a little further up, which should also mean they can do a little more with that race pace. It’ll still be maximum 4th place without dramas for others, which is a pretty incredible thing for Ferrari to be targeting.
The ban on their engines, must be the biggest season killer i have seen since i started watching in 2004. It has come to a point now, where more innovations are being banned that allowed, from fear of inequality, effectively strangulating the whole ideology of F1 as a sport. I really wonder how the SF1000 would have been if the engine would have continued. I really think they would have challenged for a world title this year. Too bad they built it on the wrong premise, and all fans have to look at two cars fighting instead of 6 like 2017/2018.

Big Tea

Deadpool wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 10:51
The current relationship between Ferrari and Vettel can seem confusing and unfair to Vettel. I dont think that it can work like this until the end of the season. However, I doubt that it is just an irrational whim of someone from Ferrari and that there is no deeper story in the background that would explain all that and the sudden dismissal of the former Ferrari favorite. It is evident that Ferrari suffered a big blow last year. It could not pass without information from within. Maybe, just maybe, someone wanted to give himself a place in the winning team because he thought that in the current one he didn't get the attention he thinks he deserves, so he talked a little more. Maybe the current employer found out because there are spies everywhere. Maybe the current events are just the result of much bigger turmoil under the carpet. Maybe the driver lineups for 2022 will give some hint ... I'm not claiming I'm just saying maybe ...

edit:

Of course, there is always the possibility that the whole team ate spoiled lasagna so that they really don't know what they are doing :wtf:
Could it be that Seb is the last vestige of the previous regime? He would not tug his forelock and say yes sir, what ever you say sir. Possibly New broom syndrome?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

McG

mafeotul wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 11:54
f1316 wrote:

The ban on their engines, must be the biggest season killer i have seen since i started watching in 2004. It has come to a point now, where more innovations are being banned that allowed, from fear of inequality, effectively strangulating the whole ideology of F1 as a sport. I really wonder how the SF1000 would have been if the engine would have continued. I really think they would have challenged for a world title this year. Too bad they built it on the wrong premise, and all fans have to look at two cars fighting instead of 6 like 2017/2018.
Although there is a very fine line between innovation and cheating, let's be clear, Ferrari were cheating with that engine.
F1 is dead.

mafeotul
mafeotul

McG wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 12:19
mafeotul wrote:
f1316 wrote:

Although there is a very fine line between innovation and cheating, let's be clear, Ferrari were cheating with that engine.
The lack of immediate action from the FIA in the manners of DSQ's is what puts me off the blatant cheating. Were the engines full legal? Ferrari probably thought they were. Did the FIA think that? They probably knew less about the whole situations than myself. But, there is no smoke without a fire so ...

Wynters
Wynters

Oh, Ferrari...

How long has it been this bad? Just this race? This season? 2018? 2017?

f1316
f1316

mafeotul wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 12:36
McG wrote:
mafeotul wrote:

The lack of immediate action from the FIA in the manners of DSQ's is what puts me off the blatant cheating. Were the engines full legal? Ferrari probably thought they were. Did the FIA think that? They probably knew less about the whole situations than myself. But, there is no smoke without a fire so ...
Yeah, we cannot at all say there’s anything “clear” that they were “cheating” - clear cheating would have had very different consequences. Almost certainly what was happening was not in the ‘spirit’ of the regulation, bit clearly Ferrari thought their ‘interpretation’ was in an area that, at the very least, could not be proven to be illegal (and so, in a very F1 sense, could be viewed as legal - this sport is the bastion of the loophole, after all).

In any case, whatever the truth is, it all seems very short sighted now, in that taking it away immediately left them with a pretty shoddy engine. Similarly, and to the original point, regardless of what’s right or wrong, it almost certainly would have been a more interesting season without the changes.

nacho
nacho

Wynters wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 14:06
Oh, Ferrari...

Listening to that, I think maybe F1 should ban all radio, maybe an emergency radio could be left.

J0ker

Deadpool wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 10:51
The current relationship between Ferrari and Vettel can seem confusing and unfair to Vettel. I dont think that it can work like this until the end of the season. However, I doubt that it is just an irrational whim of someone from Ferrari and that there is no deeper story in the background that would explain all that and the sudden dismissal of the former Ferrari favorite. It is evident that Ferrari suffered a big blow last year. It could not pass without information from within. Maybe, just maybe, someone wanted to give himself a place in the winning team because he thought that in the current one he didn't get the attention he thinks he deserves, so he talked a little more. Maybe the current employer found out because there are spies everywhere. Maybe the current events are just the result of much bigger turmoil under the carpet. Maybe the driver lineups for 2022 will give some hint ... I'm not claiming I'm just saying maybe ...

edit:

Of course, there is always the possibility that the whole team ate spoiled lasagna so that they really don't know what they are doing :wtf:
I could not agree more with your theory. This is one big maybe. However, hypothetically, could explain Ferrari’s radical change toward Vettel, not extending his agreement. The speculation is that information was leaked towards Red Bull, with whom Vettel still has very good relationship. Do not forget this is only hypothetically. I hope that all the spy speculation about leaking crucial engine information will clear up soon.
"Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity, all it takes is a little push."

J0ker

McG wrote:
mafeotul wrote:
f1316 wrote:

Your statement is clear speculation. Do not forget that there is difference between what you know and what you can prove.
We only have the secret agreement between FIA and Ferrari and this does not prove that you are right. Maybe it is proof that FIA was incapable in regulating their own rules. Maybe there is a big gray area in the engine development… e.t.c.

basti313
basti313

Wynters wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 14:06
Oh, Ferrari...

This is as bad as bad can be.
Just looking at professional behavior in my company: If I want something from someone or if I am interested in a project I will always prepare a question and work out some data before bothering others or going into discussions.
On the other hand if I see people doing projects with very little interest, they send some one line emails with blunt questions which basically say "fuc* you, do it yourself". This is exactly what I see in this conversation...nothing prepared and a question the driver can not even answer and should not be answered without proper preparation.

Looking back at the strategy discussions in the past...you might be right with something in the direction of 2018...maybe even 2017? They look quite similar, but are not documented like this.
Don`t russel the hamster!

falonso81

You can not call it cheating if the board who wrote the rules can not fully understand what Ferrari was doing. Instead they made a private agreement as to not spill out info about Ferrari's technology. The introduction of the second fuel sensor is just for the looks, unless other teams are trying to get around it. Hell, we don't even know for sure that they were only fooling the fuel flow sensor or there was a more complex mechanism taking place in that engine. If some people are dying for the FIA to publish its findings we might as well get all engines at the FIA, examine them thoroughly and then publish all the info for everyone to see. True transparency :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Moore77

f1316 wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 22:09
mafeotul wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 12:36
McG wrote:

Yeah, we cannot at all say there’s anything “clear” that they were “cheating” - clear cheating would have had very different consequences. Almost certainly what was happening was not in the ‘spirit’ of the regulation, bit clearly Ferrari thought their ‘interpretation’ was in an area that, at the very least, could not be proven to be illegal (and so, in a very F1 sense, could be viewed as legal - this sport is the bastion of the loophole, after all).

In any case, whatever the truth is, it all seems very short sighted now, in that taking it away immediately left them with a pretty shoddy engine. Similarly, and to the original point, regardless of what’s right or wrong, it almost certainly would have been a more interesting season without the changes.
Being a Ferrari fan, I can't but simply wonder, how did they landed up in this situation? It's undeniable that, they have been hit extremely hard, with whatever that FIA found out of their PU. How could they be working on that grey area (assuming it was the case) for such a long time and to such a large extent that, they simply didn't know where to stop and focus on improving areas that would keep them in good light under the regulations. Was there never a Plan B?

When the new ruling comes out, with regards to the Quali mode, I think Ferrari should simply put their most aggressive mode as the race mode and be ready to use as many PUs as possible, with penalties, even if it means a new PU in every race! They can make life a bit more exciting and at least, Leclerc can qualify a few places more closer to top 3 in odd races and can challenge for podiums. In other races where they take penalty, they can still qualify near the top, take penalty, start in their usual 8th to 12th position, but march hard in races to go closer to podiums.
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

J0ker

FIA INSTIGATES FULL INVESTIGATION ON ALL TEAMS CHEATING...
Did someone play foul?

And maybe, just maybe, the agreement that FIA and Ferrari made, is just because till that moment FIA wasn’t able to understand where are the gray area limits of their regulation, and the agreement awakened FIA and that’s why is secret.
Let just wait and see who also cheated, or is cheating?
Moreover, to be honest, yes one needs big balls to post / tell the truth. However, to post only not proven theories that suits one personal beliefs and fan feelings, that is closer to stupidity.

etusch