Williams sold to private investment firm Dorilton Capital

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
raymondu999

Williams sold to private investment firm Dorilton Capital

https://the-race.com/formula-1/williams ... t-company/

It's kind of sad but hopeful. I hope the new owners cherish the legacy of the team. Thoughts?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Big Tea

Re: Williams sold to private investment firm Dorilton Capital

raymondu999 wrote:
21 Aug 2020, 10:36

It's kind of sad but hopeful. I hope the new owners cherish the legacy of the team. Thoughts?
They claim in their statement that they are...

Dorilton Capital is a unique private investment firm focused on the middle market. We maintain a long term view with no set investment horizon while using a fraction of the leverage used in traditional private equity.

We work with healthy companies that have strong management teams, where we can act as true partners with a shared goal: accelerating potential by removing capital constraints. The executives we invest in are experts in their fields and have built excellent businesses, and as such, we seek to support management’s goals without imposing undue cultural change.

So hopefully long term and not strip and dump. Looks like a good option.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

notsofast

Acquisition agreements usually include clauses related to a transition period, typically three years. They may say publicly that the team name and location will not change, but that's surely not forever. Besides, why would they keep the name? It has been an entire generation since Williams won anything. An entire generation of young F1 fans who have no connection to the success years. Williams seems to have interesting IP. If that is included in the sale, perhaps they will split that off and sell it at a profit, and maybe the rest could become something like Penske F1 someday. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Liberty is working behind the scenes to get a second US team and maybe this is the way to make it happen.

raymondu999

Big Tea wrote:
21 Aug 2020, 11:40
raymondu999 wrote:

Dorilton Capital is a unique private investment firm focused on the middle market. We maintain a long term view with no set investment horizon while using a fraction of the leverage used in traditional private equity.

We work with healthy companies that have strong management teams, where we can act as true partners with a shared goal: accelerating potential by removing capital constraints. The executives we invest in are experts in their fields and have built excellent businesses, and as such, we seek to support management’s goals without imposing undue cultural change.

A strip and dump perhaps not but maybe a pump and dump would be a possible option. Remember Genii?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

nick p

I applaud Sir Frank Williams for pouring his heart and money into F1 for decades Wonderful legacy

Big Tea

raymondu999 wrote:
21 Aug 2020, 14:20
Big Tea wrote:
21 Aug 2020, 11:40
raymondu999 wrote:

A strip and dump perhaps not but maybe a pump and dump would be a possible option. Remember Genii?
I looked up the company (Linkedin) and they do seem kosher. They also use the term - long term view with no set investment horizon- (OK so they say NO not long, but..)

Scorpaguy

Sad day for Brit F1 fans...even in the bad times their fans stuck with them. I assume there will be significant amounts of anxiety as to how these new Yank owners will treat Frank's legacy (and as Yank...I can say their anxiety is warranted). As I have stated in other posts, F1 is changing, more rapidly now due to Covid and Merc dominance. I fear us old-timers will not recognize the sport in 10 years.

As for Dorilton, I assume their only moves are to find a Stroll-Haas type buyer or hook up with an investor wanting to make a name in motorsport. It seems old/storied F1 teams never die...they just fade away.

raymondu999

Scorpaguy wrote:
21 Aug 2020, 15:10
As for Dorilton, I assume their only moves are to find a Stroll-Haas type buyer or hook up with an investor wanting to make a name in motorsport. It seems old/storied F1 teams never die...they just fade away.
Perhaps Ken Anderson and Peter Windsor to be brought in as co-TPs? 🌚
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Big Tea

raymondu999 wrote:
21 Aug 2020, 15:21
Scorpaguy wrote:
Is Seb still job hunting? :oops:

raymondu999

I thought most were in agreement that he would be announcing an Aston Martin drive
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

the EDGE

notsofast wrote:
21 Aug 2020, 12:39
Acquisition agreements usually include clauses related to a transition period, typically three years. They may say publicly that the team name and location will not change, but that's surely not forever. Besides, why would they keep the name? It has been an entire generation since Williams won anything. An entire generation of young F1 fans who have no connection to the success years. Williams seems to have interesting IP. If that is included in the sale, perhaps they will split that off and sell it at a profit, and maybe the rest could become something like Penske F1 someday. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Liberty is working behind the scenes to get a second US team and maybe this is the way to make it happen.
They bought the brand... the brand is Williams. Why would you change that?

It may end up sharing with a tile sponsor, but the Williams name will stay

And where exactly would you move the team to? 7 out of 10 teams are based in the U.K. including Hass

Scorpaguy

I respectfully disagree with some of what has been stated. While I think the Team's location remains unchanged, I fear the "Williams" moniker to be quite endangered. I would think Dorilton will want/need to monetize their investment, and, sadly so, I do not think the "Williams" brand all that valuable in today's/tomorrow's F1.

I hope it does not come to pass, but I fear next year to be the last for the "Williams" name.

strad

:( Sad indeed. Can't picture an investment firm sticking it out when they start bleeding money. :(
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Scorpaguy

...but I can see them sticking with the "FW" naming system for a bit for reasons of either honoring Sir Frank or placating the rabid Brit fans.

PlatinumZealot

raymondu999 wrote:
21 Aug 2020, 15:21
Scorpaguy wrote:
:lol: =D>
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏