Williams sold to private investment firm Dorilton Capital

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Williams sold to private investment firm Dorilton Capital

Scorpaguy wrote: ↑
21 Aug 2020, 17:53
I respectfully disagree with some of what has been stated. While I think the Team's location remains unchanged, I fear the "Williams" moniker to be quite endangered. I would think Dorilton will want/need to monetize their investment, and, sadly so, I do not think the "Williams" brand all that valuable in today's/tomorrow's F1.

I hope it does not come to pass, but I fear next year to be the last for the "Williams" name.
I think Williams is still a strong brand and still attracts a faithfull following. The history and legacy of it all alone is worth keeping the name. Marketers's dream with what you can do with all that material. It would be great if they keep the brand. Maybe adopt a different model of doing business. Kick Claire to the side-lines, re-structure and rebuild the team.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

bill shoe

Dorilton Capital has purchased the team β€” consisting of the F1 business, the remaining minority stake in Williams Advanced Engineering and all other trading assets and liabilities β€” for €152m ($179.5m)

https://racer.com/2020/08/21/williams-s ... n-capital/
This sale price would have been obviously too high under the old economics of Formula 1. Hopefully, it's a sign that F1 team economics are getting better and will continue to get better.

The counterpoint is the GENII purchase of the Renault/Lotus team from Renault for a next-to-nothing fire-sale price, and they still lost their asses on the deal over a few years due to needing to subsidize large and consistent losses. They expected the economics would have to change so that teams could be profitable, and they were wrong, at least over their time horizon.

Scorpaguy

PZ...everything you state is correct. However, I do question the brand's/moniker's recognition and value once you exit the "old guy F1 fan" market segment. Additionally, here in the States, an ROI alternative that is even a millisecond longer than a different ROI will be negatively viewed (regardless of historical or sporting significance). Thus, I fear a "Monster" or "Dew" high dollar bid could quickly relegate a "Williams" decal to both small font and an inner wing plate location.

Also please note I am wearing an old and worn "Williams" tshirt now...so hoping I am wrong. Still, in the world of "dollars vs Williams", I think it is "goodbye Frank". Just my 2 cents.

Big Tea

Scorpaguy wrote: ↑
21 Aug 2020, 21:33
PZ...everything you state is correct. However, I do question the brand's/moniker's recognition and value once you exit the "old guy F1 fan" market segment. Additionally, here in the States, an ROI alternative that is even a millisecond longer than a different ROI will be negatively viewed (regardless of historical or sporting significance). Thus, I fear a "Monster" or "Dew" high dollar bid could quickly relegate a "Williams" decal to both small font and an inner wing plate location.

Also please note I am wearing an old and worn "Williams" tshirt now...so hoping I am wrong. Still, in the world of "dollars vs Williams", I think it is "goodbye Frank". Just my 2 cents.
Probably depends where they pitch the sales. Williams Advanced Engineering F1 is a valid badge, but not so interesting to the throwaway set.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Manoah2u

How is this thread not merged with the Williams team thread?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

notsofast

How? By leaving it alone, that's how! 8)

Maybe you meant Why? Because this topic is of interest to forum members who want to discuss the impact of this sale on F1, without getting involved in the inner workings of the team.

Unc1eM0nty

Sad day indeed, I can't see them not keeping the Williams name, team heritage and titles is something money can't buy (usually that is) :)

Good peice here from Peter Windsor on the demise of Williams, I don't think the current management have long left, and good ridance.

https://www.omologatowatches.com/blog/r ... e-williams

bill shoe

Unc1eM0nty wrote: ↑
22 Aug 2020, 00:19
Sad day indeed, I can't see them not keeping the Williams name, team heritage and titles is something money can't buy (usually that is) :)

Good peice here from Peter Windsor on the demise of Williams, I don't think the current management have long left, and good ridance.

https://www.omologatowatches.com/blog/r ... e-williams
Thanks for link, it's a great perspective.

strad

After a respectful time it could eventually become Dorilton -Williams
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

bill shoe

I don't hate on her as much as some people do, but Claire is surely out after a transition period.

Think of it this way. If Claire wasn't currently employed as team principal of Williams, would she be a serious contender for a team principal role when vacancies came up at other teams?

gshevlin

The Peter Windsor article is from early 2019 during the late build fiasco of the FW42, about which we still know very little (Paddy Lowe having left the team in the Summer, and he is not saying anything, probably due to his severance agreement).
I tend to take Windsor a lot less seriously than I used to.This is the guy who was a lead player in the USF1 fiasco, after all. The level of self-promotion in that blog article is kind of obvious.
As has already been noted, there is usually a stability period built into acquisition contracts, which will see the current senior leadership staying on for a period of time. Remember that the original intent was to have Adam Parr be the long-term MD, but that plan went out the window when Williams was forced to dump Parr after he fell out with Bernie Ecclestone.
The main question for me will be whether Williams will get investment money to ensure that they can actually keep up with the rest of the teams technology-wise, and also (maybe) stop having to sign drivers based on how large a money truck their backers can drive over to Grove.

Zynerji

Good riddance to terrible management and under-performing leadership. The sale is because Claire Williams has failed. Period.

My hope is that serious people that are hired on merit, not nepitistically, can turn the ship around.

The good people that work at Williams have nothing to be ashamed of for their production over the last few years.

The leadership at Williams has failed its employees, its fans, sponsors and all of F1.

I sincerely hope that the name Williams is buried with them.

raymondu999

gshevlin wrote: ↑
22 Aug 2020, 06:15
The Peter Windsor article is from early 2019 during the late build fiasco of the FW42, about which we still know very little (Paddy Lowe having left the team in the Summer, and he is not saying anything, probably due to his severance agreement).
I tend to take Windsor a lot less seriously than I used to.This is the guy who was a lead player in the USF1 fiasco, after all. The level of self-promotion in that blog article is kind of obvious.
Dont forget being a media spokesperson type thing for Rich Energy
ε€±θ΄₯θ€…ζ‰Ύη†η”±οΌŒζˆεŠŸθ€…ζ‰Ύζ–Ήζ³•

Unc1eM0nty

gshevlin wrote: ↑
22 Aug 2020, 06:15
The main question for me will be whether Williams will get investment money to ensure that they can actually keep up with the rest of the teams technology-wise, and also (maybe) stop having to sign drivers based on how large a money truck their backers can drive over to Grove.
They're an investment company, the reason they bought Williams now is that they believe their "stock value" to be low at this point, but they have to invest if they want this to be a success.

They will want a return though, the real question for me is are they in this for the long term ? or, is the plan to sell as soon as they rise up the constructors table.

The budget cap will help of course, this must have a been a big influence on the deal

Big Tea

Am I correct in thinking if they want FIA money they have to keep the Williams name ?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.