Why Verstappen will NOT win in 2020

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Wass85

Re: Why Verstappen will NOT win in 2020

PlatinumZealot wrote:
22 Aug 2020, 21:39
Wass85 wrote:
22 Aug 2020, 20:07
I can see what route this is going down, I will be labeled a Hamilton hater just because I point out some of the negatives in his career.

On topic, Max without a doubt has the talent and mentality to win a title given the right car IMO.

What else is there to say, being in the right car at the right time is the most vital part of a title challenge.
When this thread was created Helmut Marko had us all fooled into thinking the cars were close in performance, so most people were expecting a championship fight going into the season.
He has a habit of doing that, let's see how the season goes. Verstappen isn't that far behind and if the banning of the qualy modes does really close them up then it will be game on.

If it does turn out that way then Bottas will soon be forced in to the wingman role.

dans79

Wass85 wrote:
22 Aug 2020, 19:35
Unless it's a relay then I don't see it as a team sport. It's an individual sport and if you have members from your club or your school competing against you then they are a rival just as much as anyone and if you lose to them that's on you.
In cross country The first 5 runners from your team scores points. 1st scores 1 points, 2nd 2 points, etc. The team with the lowest score wins. In indoor and outdoor track, each event is scored separately, 1st gets 10 points, 2nd 8, then 6,5,4,3,2,1. So they are both very much a team sports.

In track it's not hard to get beaten by a less capable teammate than yourself, because they might only compete in one event per meet while you might be competing in 3,4 or even 5 events.

Your "if you lose to them that's on you" statement shows a lack of understand!
197 104 103 7

Wass85

dans79 wrote:
22 Aug 2020, 22:52
Wass85 wrote:
Unless it's a relay then I don't see it as a team sport. It's an individual sport and if you have members from your club or your school competing against you then they are a rival just as much as anyone and if you lose to them that's on you.
In cross country The first 5 runners from your team scores points. 1st scores 1 points, 2nd 2 points, etc. The team with the lowest score wins. In indoor and outdoor track, each event is scored separately, 1st gets 10 points, 2nd 8, then 6,5,4,3,2,1. So they are both very much a team sports.

In track it's not hard to get beaten by a less capable teammate than yourself, because they might only compete in one event per meet while you might be competing in 3,4 or even 5 events.

Not in the cross countries I ran in, from what i recall it was all about the individual.

Well of course you may lose to a teammate in an event that they're better in, that tends to happen.

And if you lose to a teammate in an event you're better in then of course it is on you!

Wass85

Wass85 wrote:
22 Aug 2020, 22:57
dans79 wrote:
22 Aug 2020, 22:52
Wass85 wrote:

Not in the cross countries I ran in, from what i recall it was all about the individual.

When I won the county cross country title it was me that won the trophy.

Well of course you may lose to a teammate in an event that they're better in, that tends to happen.

And if you lose to a teammate in an event you're better in then of course it is on you!

dans79

Wass85 wrote:
I'm not sure what you where doing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_country_running
Scores are determined by summing the top four or five individual finishing places on each team. In international competition, a team typically consists of six runners, with the top four scoring. In the United States, the most common scoring system is seven runners, with the top five scoring. Points are awarded to the individual runners of eligible teams, equal to the position in which they cross the finish line (first place gets 1 point, second place gets 2 points, etc.). The points for these runners are summed, and the lowest score wins.
Wass85 wrote:
Yea, try saying that when you are on your 3rd or 4th event, and they are on their 1st. A machismo attitude doesn't work when you are expected to run multiple events.
197 104 103 7

Wass85

dans79 wrote:
22 Aug 2020, 23:06
Wass85 wrote:
I'm not sure what you where doing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_country_running
Scores are determined by summing the top four or five individual finishing places on each team. In international competition, a team typically consists of six runners, with the top four scoring. In the United States, the most common scoring system is seven runners, with the top five scoring. Points are awarded to the individual runners of eligible teams, equal to the position in which they cross the finish line (first place gets 1 point, second place gets 2 points, etc.). The points for these runners are summed, and the lowest score wins.
Wass85 wrote:
Yea, try saying that when you are on your 3rd or 4th event, and they are on their 1st. A machismo attitude doesn't work when you are expected to run multiple events.
I was winning the Yorkshire County title for around 3 years running, this was in the mid 90's.

And from what I remember we all did the same number of events, forgive me it was a very long time ago.

ispano6

Manoah2u wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 23:23
PlatinumZealot wrote:
08 Jun 2020, 21:55
Every first-time champion goes through a stage of learning to win a championship almost akin to learning to ride bicycle. Agreed? You raise the training wheels up, push off, try to balance and keep those training wheels in the air as long as you can. After a while, you learn keep balance longer till you are ready to remove the training wheels altogether and repeat the cycle till it is burned into your subconcious mind. This does not happen in one day. Time to learn is the factor.
Verstappen is an awesome driver but the 2020 calendar will be so tightly packed, he simply won't get time to internalize and analyze his executions and apply that to the track. Not to mention reacting to the big picture and applying his championship strategy accordingly. This 2020 champion is not about learning. And it will be too variable to be about instinct. In my estimation it will be about going balls to the wall, and applying past championship tactics and strategies, while executing in surgical precision. In other words this is a fight for those with championship experience.
So, how's that crow eating going :mrgreen: :lol:
He still has much to learn the young Padawan. Much too sure of himself. Clouded his vision is.

Max, saved Formula 1 he did, from certain boredom.

Moore77

ispano6 wrote:
23 Aug 2020, 09:57
Manoah2u wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
08 Jun 2020, 21:55
Every first-time champion goes through a stage of learning to win a championship almost akin to learning to ride bicycle. Agreed? You raise the training wheels up, push off, try to balance and keep those training wheels in the air as long as you can. After a while, you learn keep balance longer till you are ready to remove the training wheels altogether and repeat the cycle till it is burned into your subconcious mind. This does not happen in one day. Time to learn is the factor.
Verstappen is an awesome driver but the 2020 calendar will be so tightly packed, he simply won't get time to internalize and analyze his executions and apply that to the track. Not to mention reacting to the big picture and applying his championship strategy accordingly. This 2020 champion is not about learning. And it will be too variable to be about instinct. In my estimation it will be about going balls to the wall, and applying past championship tactics and strategies, while executing in surgical precision. In other words this is a fight for those with championship experience.
He still has much to learn the young Padawan. Much too sure of himself. Clouded his vision is.

https://youtu.be/6br5S_1f_jQ
Thanks to Pirelli. They definitely saved the day for F1.
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

ispano6

Moore77 wrote:
23 Aug 2020, 10:11
ispano6 wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:

Weird I didn't see Mario Isola on the podium. Which car was he driving?

SPA will be back to the softer compounds so are we going to thank Mr. Isola again?

Moore77

ispano6 wrote:
23 Aug 2020, 10:31
Moore77 wrote:
ispano6 wrote:

SPA will be back to the softer compounds so are we going to thank Mr. Isola again?
It's a very good point! On the same lines, I don't understand why a Tanabe and a Wakabe would be on podium, while they wouldn't have driven a car that wins a GP!
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

ispano6

Moore77 wrote:
23 Aug 2020, 10:36
ispano6 wrote:
23 Aug 2020, 10:31
Moore77 wrote:

It's a very good point! On the same lines, I don't understand why a Tanabe and a Wakabe would be on podium, while they wouldn't have driven a car that wins a GP!
Nice try. Who's Wakabe?

PlatinumZealot

Maybe he mean Sake.

Tanabe and his Sake.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Sieper

Yeah, not funny.

Wass85

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15164 ... like-senna

Some fine praise towards Verstappen from Button, he hasn't seen anyone annihilate their teammates like this kid is doing.

tangodjango

Wass85 wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 12:10
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15164 ... like-senna

Some fine praise towards Verstappen from Button, he hasn't seen anyone annihilate their teammates like this kid is doing.
To qualify the Senna/Schumacher comparisons it's worth pointing out that with modern counting rules Senna would have lost to Prost both years they were teammates and Schumacher never really faced a Hakkinen type talent in his first career as a teammate on equal footing. In his second career along with the undoubted decline in ability, and loss of advantages like custom built tyres and unlimited testing he was well beaten by Rosberg. What Verstappen is doing is very impressive nonetheless.
“Hamilton’s talent is perhaps even more than that of Ayrton or Schumacher or Fernando." - Rubens Barrichello