COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
El Scorchio

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Just as long as they keep everyone well away from the paddock.

'Every driver aside from Kyviat has come down with Coronavirus'

Tommy Cookers

El Scorchio wrote:
14 Aug 2020, 16:20
the UK has banned people entering from France, Netherlands etc without quarantine (Spain, Portugal etc already 'banned')
eg because France now has 2500 new 'cases' daily (and soon 5000 ??)

England shed 5300 past dead (retroactively discounting Covid diagnoses over 28 days - to match Scotland, Wales and NI)
so making the UK look better (fair or not ?) internationally ... by this method ......

recent UK daily dead is now in single figures ... but .....
UK daily 'new confirmed cases' is now 1500

please - WTF is going on ?
anyone ?

Big Tea

Tommy Cookers wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 13:07
El Scorchio wrote:
the UK has banned people entering from France, Netherlands etc without quarantine (Spain, Portugal etc already 'banned')

England shed 5300 past dead (retroactively discounting Covid diagnoses over 28 days - to match Scotland, Wales and NI)
so making the UK look better (fair or not ?) internationally ... by this method ......

anyone ?
Far more testing now so they are bound to 'confirm' more cases
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

El Scorchio

Big Tea wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 14:43
Tommy Cookers wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:

anyone ?
Absolutely. Also a case inevitably as all across the world, the more people are allowed to go out and mix, transmission will probably rise a bit. What we don’t know in the UK is whether the new cases are purely local hotspots which means the rest of the country is ok, or if it’s just generally rising everywhere again. More info would be better.

As for enforcing quarantine from some countries, I think it’s smart IF they can actually enforce it. Even if it does seem a bit hypocritical to be doing it while we still of course have a domestic situation as well with cases going up. Then again other countries are free to apply quarantine to UK arrivals. I think maybe after the holiday season they’ll tighten it up. Maybe now it’s a case of trying to save the Global travel industry during high season more than anything else.

I would HATE to be tasked with trying to make all these decisions and trying to find a balance that works best. So many factors in play.

Just_a_fan

Could be that many of the UK's susceptible people have already been killed by the disease, indeed, it might be the case generally, hence why case numbers are going up but deaths aren't increasing markedly too. Of course, having much more testing will also lead to more known cases.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Big Tea

El Scorchio wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 15:05
Big Tea wrote:
Tommy Cookers wrote:

anyone ?
Absolutely. Also a case inevitably as all across the world, the more people are allowed to go out and mix, transmission will probably rise a bit. What we don’t know in the UK is whether the new cases are purely local hotspots which means the rest of the country is ok, or if it’s just generally rising everywhere again. More info would be better.

As for enforcing quarantine from some countries, I think it’s smart IF they can actually enforce it. Even if it does seem a bit hypocritical to be doing it while we still of course have a domestic situation as well with cases going up. Then again other countries are free to apply quarantine to UK arrivals. I think maybe after the holiday season they’ll tighten it up. Maybe now it’s a case of trying to save the Global travel industry during high season more than anything else.

I would HATE to be tasked with trying to make all these decisions and trying to find a balance that works best. So many factors in play.
I am of the opinion of anyone entering a country (specifically UK, but any country, and includes returning nationals) should have to test on entry and leave contact details, as it is not an instant result.

Long haul flights should test on exit and any result sent to the destination airport
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

El Scorchio

Big Tea wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 15:47
El Scorchio wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

I am of the opinion of anyone entering a country (specifically UK, but any country, and includes returning nationals) should have to test on entry and leave contact details, as it is not an instant result.

Long haul flights should test on exit and any result sent to the destination airport
Totally agree. I also think that ideally anyone flying should have proof of a negative test before being allowed to travel. I know it’s not possible now but hopefully at some point. It’ll be key to stopping spread- although it presents its own problems as well. What if you are well outbound but then have a positive test before returning? What are our supposed to do?

I just hope there’s an effective vaccine not too far away.

El Scorchio

Big Tea wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 15:47
El Scorchio wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

Definitely! and I’ve sort of repeated what you’ve said in my previous post too. They need an as close to foolproof system as possible.

adrianjordan

With regards to number of cases etc etc.

First off the most relevant data in the UK are the ONS figures as they are testing a random sample of a fixed number of households, regardless of whether they are symptomatic or not, therefore the incidence found is independent of the level of testing carried out in general.

At present their tests are showing that the number of new cases is levelling out, but not decreasing. This is to be expected with the easing of restrictions.

As for why we're seeing lower fatalities vs numbers of confirmed cases. As others have said, wider testing means more cases are picked up that before would have gone unrecorded. Also, the earlier cases are picked up and treatment started, the better the outcomes. Don't forget as well that experience plays an important part in survival. We have a lot more experience on what treatment regimes work (dexamethasone for example) than we did before. All of this can explain why deaths are falling despite rising numbers of confirmed cases.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

MtthsMlw

Shrieker

Just_a_fan wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 19:43
Shrieker wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 19:12
I've been hearing some rumours about Istanbul Park. Are they substantiated ?
I hope so! T8 with these cars will be epic.
Seems like your wish has been granted 🙂

Now, it'd be nice if the damn virus could behave for a bit and let us have the gp. That, and people's lives of course.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

foxmulder_ms

Turkey? Seriously? Turkey is max'ed out with corona right now!. It is like having the race in Texas/Florida. Once again, F1 would do anything for money.

Manoah2u

I heared some talk about F1 returning to Indianapolis. I can't imagine this year though. BUT i've got a very hard head in it, not because i can't imagine it'll happen, but because i'm actually afraid THAT it'll happen, with the current Pirelli tires. After all, they're actually WORSE than the tires back in that famous race. The banked track would certainly exponentially cause the tires to delaminate, and we'd see cars pop into the walls. I'm wondering whether it might be a good thing we didn't have the dutch GP this season, as looking at Silverstone, and the new banked corner, we might have seen some serious issues, and it would get blamed on the track instead of Pirelli. Thankfully, it happened in Silverstone, so blame goes where it should.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Ringleheim

That silly track they devised at Indy was ridiculous and a huge mistake.

Here's hoping they never go back there, unless they want to do a straight up oval race.

I can't believe we are going to have to watch Bahrain TWICE this year, in back-to-back weekends!

Scorpaguy

"Straight up oval"...the stuff dreams are made of. ...or nightmares. I do not know which I would relish more, 20 F1 cars doing 500 miles or reading the meltdown on F1 Tech when folks realized that the event would require in-race refueling.