Turkish GP announced!!

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Wass85

Turkish GP announced!!

F1 has announced we will be back racing at the Istanbul Park for the first time since 2011, brilliant news!

Watching these cars take turn 8 will be mesmerising, a sim driver on YouTube is predicting corner entrance speeds will be around 280kph and exist speeds at 300kph.

Wass85

Re: Turkish GP announced!!

I've just watched the 2011 Turkish GP, boy how times have changed.

Vettel looked unstoppable in that RB didn't he, who'd have thought he would fall so much.

God I miss the days of 4 stoppers.

Ringleheim

There seems to be a sub-sect of F1 fans that think Turkey is some type of great track.

I recall the 4-apex Turn 8 as being interesting, and not a lot else.

The track is still Tilke-Trash, although arguably one of the better examples of Tilke-Trash.

Wass85

Ringleheim wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 19:44
There seems to be a sub-sect of F1 fans that think Turkey is some type of great track.

The track is still Tilke-Trash, although arguably one of the better examples of Tilke-Trash.
It's a great track IMO, high speed with plenty of overtaking opportunities.

What else do you want in a track?

Big Tea

Wass85 wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 19:50
Ringleheim wrote:

Easy to isolate.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Wass85

Big Tea wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 20:04
Wass85 wrote:
Ringleheim wrote:

Easy to isolate.
You're not a fan of the track then? It is certainly better than a few that have been on the calender for the last decade IMO.

Big Tea

Wass85 wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 20:08
Big Tea wrote:
Wass85 wrote:

Easy to isolate.
You're not a fan of the track then? It is certainly better than a few that have been on the calender for the last decade IMO.
I am 'neutral' on it. It will be different this year due to tyres and 'modes' so we probably should not go by past experience. Who ever gets a handle on the new mode-less system could pull a flanker, and with reduced power the tyres behaviour could also be unpredictable and some teams take a punt at long sessions in the race.

I will watch anything this year after the months without :mrgreen:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Wass85

Big Tea wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 20:20
Wass85 wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 20:08
Big Tea wrote:

Easy to isolate.
I am 'neutral' on it. It will be different this year due to tyres and 'modes' so we probably should not go by past experience. Who ever gets a handle on the new mode-less system could pull a flanker, and with reduced power the tyres behaviour could also be unpredictable and some teams take a punt at long sessions in the race.

I will watch anything this year after the months without :mrgreen:
Go and rewatch the last GP there, plenty of action throughout the field apart from a driver named Seb. 😁

notsofast

Let's do something different and only bring C5 tires. Or simply make it mandatory to stop a minimum of 4 times.

Wass85

notsofast wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 20:33
Let's do something different and only bring C5 tires. Or simply make it mandatory to stop a minimum of 4 times.
More stops the better, bring it on.

bill shoe

During the original F1 era on that track, it was difficult for the tire supplier (Bridgestone?, Pirelli?) to make tires last. At one point, Hamilton wore thru a set of tires in a handful of practice laps and one popped on him. Now we have cars with much more weight and power. And Pirelli are having a challenge making tires live on the non-Turkey tracks. Will be an interesting challenge for tire life. Min pressures will probably be sky-high, and maybe only the hardest two compounds will be allowed instead of the usual 3. I'm sure Pirelli would have been asked to do some kind of feasibility study for the FIA before this new Turkey race was announced.

etusch

For now for me, most important thing is spectator allowence. It will be my first time. There is rumors that they started to sell vip tickets.

When we talk about track itself, there are some parts I don't like with it and worst part for me is its last to turns.

Wass85

etusch wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 22:11
For now for me, most important thing is spectator allowence. It will be my first time. There is rumors that they started to sell vip tickets.

When we talk about track itself, there are some parts I don't like with it and worst part for me is its last to turns.
That's a strange one for me, I love the last two turns as they are an overtaking opportunity plus a perfect place to set up an overtake in to the first corner.

Just_a_fan

Ringleheim wrote:

Turn 8 is interesting and a challenge to maximise. This year it could be a tyre killer, which might shake things up a bit. Other than that, there are two overtaking possibilities - one at the end of the "back" straight, and one at the end of the start straight. Or at least there was the last time F1 raced there.

Will be interesting to see whether the current cars can get close enough in the twisty bit and T8 to make use of the back straight. We might not get the overtakes we had in the past - if not, that'll be a function of the current cars compared to the cars used last time F1 was there.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

El Scorchio

I like that they are going to tracks there is no current data on- including this one. That adds a little unknown at least as to how the weekend may pan out.

It’s not a track teams will have accounted for when making design decisions