2020 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa-Francorchamps, August 28 - 30

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

Re: 2020 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa-Francorchamps, August 28 - 30

Schuttelberg wrote:
30 Aug 2020, 17:53
It's hilarious. The fans found the race boring and the drivers saying it wasn't enjoyable. Never seen a more incompetent supplier in any business as Pirelli in F1. And Formula 1 doesn't care two hoots because we still tune in.
I am tired of this instant gratification craze going on. Not every movie has to be mindless action filled Avenger lookalike to enjoy. I have been watching F1 for 2 decades and today's race was above average. I remember 9 races won by Vetel back to back. I remember races with zero overtakes during Schumi times. Sometimes these things called "strategy" and "engineering prowess" is fun to watch too. You know at the end I rather F1 to be a motor sport and not a circus. Horner at al call every race they did not win boring and every win hey get is legendary (by the way, they were saying competition must be better during their 4 year domination :) ). RedBull generation is ruining my sport but whatever.. I will enjoy while it lasts because eventually I think you guys will get what you wish for: F1, under an American investment company, will turn into a circus :) If you guys are so want to see equal cars racing just watch F2 :)

proteus

siskue2005 wrote:
30 Aug 2020, 20:38
Mchamilton wrote:
30 Aug 2020, 20:05
Wass85 wrote:
30 Aug 2020, 19:37

The Hamilton interview I mentioned earlier, he was being candid yes but shouldn't be making those comments IMO.
Why shouldn't he? He's not saying anything that isn't true.
What Lewis said is absolutely correct

Before the first SC at lap 15 Max was 5 sec behind Lewis, whereas Albon was 15 seconds off Lewis by that time.
Albon was pretty poor today on race pace, he was overtaken by renault at the start and got lucky to jump one during the pitstop, but got mauled by Renault and a Mclaren in the end.

We need to put some one in that car who can push Max like Bottas does to Lewis, otherwise it is just a waste of space.
Except for Heikki Kovalainen i really doubt Fernando and Jenson werent "there" where he "was" at Mclaren. Even though Button had some periods when he underperformed, he was more or less "there" most of the times, so this is the part which is making me think.

I used to be a big fan of Lewis when he was driving for Mclaren and i still liked him when he started to drive for Mercedes, but season after season i have started to lose respect for him, even though he is achieving more and more. I just dont like his attitude which he is making more and more annoying to me. Every year he finds some new way of trying to make himself stand out and to be something special. No other legendary drivers forced themself so much to try and be something special the way Hamilton is trying. - And that is my personal opinion.

He has the fastest car for the longest period in history of sport now, and it is quite obvious the whole thing is making him kind of bored because he can win titles so easily.

Max is more than capable enough to bring the fight to him, he just needs to get an equal machine. It is not fair from Lewis to downplay Max as not good enough, if he knows that the car of Mercedes is a step clear of RedBull.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Big Tea

siskue2005 wrote:
Mchamilton wrote:
Wass85 wrote:
30 Aug 2020, 19:37

The Hamilton interview I mentioned earlier, he was being candid yes but shouldn't be making those comments IMO.

Before the first SC at lap 15 Max was 5 sec behind Lewis, whereas Albon was 15 seconds off Lewis by that time.
Albon was pretty poor today on race pace, he was overtaken by renault at the start and got lucky to jump one during the pitstop, but got mauled by Renault and a Mclaren in the end.

We need to put some one in that car who can push Max like Bottas does to Lewis, otherwise it is just a waste of space.
There is no doubt that RBR need the second car to be performing, but from what we have been seeing it is Max who would have points taken away by it, not Lewis.
To take points from Lewis, someone has to be finishing infront of him, otherwise it takes from those behind him.
This could be one of those ' be careful what you wish for, you may get it' things
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Jolle
Jolle

I think Ferrari is pretty happy about Latifi, who singlehanded prevented them for a total failure.

Wass85
Wass85

proteus wrote:
30 Aug 2020, 21:03
siskue2005 wrote:
Mchamilton wrote:

Except for Heikki Kovalainen i really doubt Fernando and Jenson werent "there" where he "was" at Mclaren. Even though Button had some periods when he underperformed, he was more or less "there" most of the times, so this is the part which is making me think.

I used to be a big fan of Lewis when he was driving for Mclaren and i still liked him when he started to drive for Mercedes, but season after season i have started to lose respect for him, even though he is achieving more and more. I just dont like his attitude which he is making more and more annoying to me. Every year he finds some new way of trying to make himself stand out and to be something special. No other legendary drivers forced themself so much to try and be something special the way Hamilton is trying. - And that is my personal opinion.

He has the fastest car for the longest period in history of sport now, and it is quite obvious the whole thing is making him kind of bored because he can win titles so easily.

Max is more than capable enough to bring the fight to him, he just needs to get an equal machine. It is not fair from Lewis to downplay Max as not good enough, if he knows that the car of Mercedes is a step clear of RedBull.
Exactly, FA and JB were near enough always with LH in just most races, LH must have a short memory tbh.

Sieper

zibby43 wrote:
30 Aug 2020, 20:30
Sieper wrote:
30 Aug 2020, 20:06
zibby43 wrote:
30 Aug 2020, 19:43

That’s a bit of a logical fallacy.

As Moore77 said, we don’t yet know who is going to lose more relative to the other.

Second, the gap between Bottas and Max in qualifying at Spa could’ve been much different if Mercedes had chosen a different setup, or opted to go with a tow in qualifying.
Why? Mercedes had been making a bigger step in every Q session then Honda. And second did not happen did it? That actually IS a fallacy.
Not trying to be hostile, so no need for the all caps.

Steps in qualifying aren’t down solely to engine modes. How much a team decides to take out of its tires is a big factor. How much fuel a team carries is another. Wasn’t the gap to Verstappen relatively similar in Q2 and Q3 in Spa? Between 5-6 tenths?

There are so many variables, which is why I don’t like to speculate on the matter, other than to acknowledge that Merc has the stronger PU, and thus the ability to add more performance on the race side. That robustness is also what may enable them to lose very little on the quali side, and gain quite a bit in race trim.

Merc don’t seem worried. And Verstappen doesn’t think it’s going to change the competitive order relative to the top 2.

Hamilton went out in clean air with no tow, Merc ran much more downforce, and Verstappen did have a tow. Those variables affect lap time.

In your hypothetical, you assume Merc would’ve chosen the same setup had they had access to less power. Second, it assumes that RB would be unaffected. Third, it assumes that was Bottas’ best possible lap, irrespective of setup/tow, etc.

Hope that makes sense.
Well, I wasn’t comparing Max to Lewis, but to Bottas. I merely said that Max was 1,5 hundredst behind Bottas. If you don’t want to acknowledge mercedes has routinely made bigger steps when they went to strat2 than Honda can that is fine by me. But I think they can loose a few tenths less than mercedes when qualy modes are removed. Let’s see. When you are knowingly calling a reasonable line of thinking a fallacy then you can expect a reaction. And when you are calling me hostile for typing one word (where I wanted to put the emphasize on) in capitals it makes me question your own motives.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

proteus wrote:
siskue2005 wrote:
Mchamilton wrote:

At what point did Lewis say max wasn't good enough? Oh yeah... He didn't.

zibby43
zibby43

Sieper wrote:
30 Aug 2020, 21:18
zibby43 wrote:
30 Aug 2020, 20:30
Sieper wrote:
30 Aug 2020, 20:06

Why? Mercedes had been making a bigger step in every Q session then Honda. And second did not happen did it? That actually IS a fallacy.
Not trying to be hostile, so no need for the all caps.

Steps in qualifying aren’t down solely to engine modes. How much a team decides to take out of its tires is a big factor. How much fuel a team carries is another. Wasn’t the gap to Verstappen relatively similar in Q2 and Q3 in Spa? Between 5-6 tenths?

There are so many variables, which is why I don’t like to speculate on the matter, other than to acknowledge that Merc has the stronger PU, and thus the ability to add more performance on the race side. That robustness is also what may enable them to lose very little on the quali side, and gain quite a bit in race trim.

Merc don’t seem worried. And Verstappen doesn’t think it’s going to change the competitive order relative to the top 2.

Hamilton went out in clean air with no tow, Merc ran much more downforce, and Verstappen did have a tow. Those variables affect lap time.

In your hypothetical, you assume Merc would’ve chosen the same setup had they had access to less power. Second, it assumes that RB would be unaffected. Third, it assumes that was Bottas’ best possible lap, irrespective of setup/tow, etc.

Hope that makes sense.
Well, I wasn’t comparing Max to Lewis, but to Bottas. I merely said that Max was 1,5 hundredst behind Bottas. If you don’t want to acknowledge mercedes has routinely made bigger steps when they went to strat2 than Honda can that is fine by me. But I think they can loose a few tenths less than mercedes when qualy modes are removed. Let’s see. When you are knowingly calling a reasonable line of thinking a fallacy then you can expect a reaction. And when you are calling me hostile for typing one word (where I wanted to put the emphasize on) in capitals it makes me question your own motives.
I didn’t call you hostile. I said I wasn’t trying to be. Please read carefully.

All caps comes across as shouting. Bold or italics comes across as emphasis. Have a good day.

zibby43
zibby43

Is Albert Fabrega suggesting Merc didn’t use their “party mode” this weekend?

Translation: “Summary (1) Plugged in. Nothing and nobody can with him. Hamilton continues to win and dominate unopposed. It no longer adds, it remains what it needs to be Champion again. No party mode, too. Bottas does not fail in his role. Faithful squire.”

Found it interesting that Merc held themselves to using the OT button only once.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

Wass85 wrote:
30 Aug 2020, 21:12
proteus wrote:
siskue2005 wrote:

Exactly, FA and JB were near enough always with LH in just most races, LH must have a short memory tbh.
I think it's pretty obvious that he was talking about Heiki and not JB and FA.

PlatinumZealot

People are blinded when it comes to LH.. Haha. It is hilarious.

It is clear to see Hamilton is not just a racer, but a celebrity and an activist. Making himself stand out to raise his stature is what celebrities, and activists do!
Last edited by PlatinumZealot on 30 Aug 2020, 21:50, edited 1 time in total.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

TNTHead

Most interesting things I take away for this race are the shifts in pecking order: Renault beats fair and square their costumer team and Ferrari has 'some work' to do, and that's not only on the engine... Or did they turn their engine down so can run it harder at Monza? We'll see.

Wass85
Wass85

Mchamilton wrote:
30 Aug 2020, 21:38
Wass85 wrote:
30 Aug 2020, 21:12
proteus wrote:

I think it's pretty obvious that he was talking about Heiki and not JB and FA.
Well that must be the case but that's unfair to HK who's done nothing but blow smoke up the arse of LH.

proteus

Mchamilton wrote:
30 Aug 2020, 21:29
proteus wrote:
siskue2005 wrote:

At what point did Lewis say max wasn't good enough? Oh yeah... He didn't.
In the part "he and Albon" are not where "me and Valteri" are... He forgot that actually RedBull and Honda aint "where" Mercedes is jet.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Wouter

zibby43 wrote:
30 Aug 2020, 21:33
Is Albert Fabrega suggesting Merc didn’t use their “party mode” this weekend?

No, Albert isn't suggesting Mercedes didn't use their Party Mode.
He says that Hamilton doesn't need the pm to become a champion.
The Power of Dreams!