Mercedes W11

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
zibby43

Re: Mercedes W11

bosyber wrote:
29 Aug 2020, 09:23
zibby43 wrote:
29 Aug 2020, 09:21
While looking at this RW comparison from Gary Anderson/The Race, I noticed that the bodywork at the rear of the sidepods is more open compared to previous weeks.

This is something Matthew Somerfield picked up on, and I agree with his assessment.

https://cdn.the-race.com/wp-content/upl ... erc-RW.jpg
Yep, sure looks like it. Maybe the new PU and the large amount of on-throttle here (and at Monza) asked for more cooling from the engine?
Think that is definitely relevant. Coupled with the fact that the PU is probably going to be working a bit harder in race trim going forward from Monza.

Moore77

zibby43 wrote:
29 Aug 2020, 09:48
bosyber wrote:
zibby43 wrote:
While looking at this RW comparison from Gary Anderson/The Race, I noticed that the bodywork at the rear of the sidepods is more open compared to previous weeks.

This is something Matthew Somerfield picked up on, and I agree with his assessment.

Yep, sure looks like it. Maybe the new PU and the large amount of on-throttle here (and at Monza) asked for more cooling from the engine?
Think that is definitely relevant. Coupled with the fact that the PU is probably going to be working a bit harder in race trim going forward from Monza.
I see different changes here. The side pod exit shape is narrower (yellow circle and blue line), while it is raised (red circle), which appears to be bulged. In the yellow circle, you see more open area, compared to previous one.

Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

SiLo

This is quite a big update then, barge boards, engine covers, floor, nose winglets, sidepod inlets...
Felipe Baby!

holeindalip

zibby43 wrote:
While looking at this RW comparison from Gary Anderson/The Race, I noticed that the bodywork at the rear of the sidepods (new specification on the right) is more open compared to previous weeks.

Really stands out in this comparison shot. Interesting that we see the bodywork opened up despite the much cooler temperatures. Anticipating running the engine harder in the race going forward?

Thanks for the side by side and, definitely enlarged sidepods and outlets, Imo I don't think they could have done this in time for the upcoming one engine mode directive. This update had to have been in the pipeline for a bit at least....

mkay

bosyber wrote:
zibby43 wrote:

Not sure how you can see that considering the two photos aren’t taken from the same angle.

zibby43

holeindalip wrote:
29 Aug 2020, 19:28
zibby43 wrote:
While looking at this RW comparison from Gary Anderson/The Race, I noticed that the bodywork at the rear of the sidepods (new specification on the right) is more open compared to previous weeks.

Really stands out in this comparison shot. Interesting that we see the bodywork opened up despite the much cooler temperatures. Anticipating running the engine harder in the race going forward?

Thanks for the side by side and, definitely enlarged sidepods and outlets, Imo I don't think they could have done this in time for the upcoming one engine mode directive. This update had to have been in the pipeline for a bit at least....
Good point! I definitely agree with that. Has to be circuit-specific then, I guess?

Morteza

Nicolas Carpentiers wrote:Three fins have been added in Spa, in addition to the three vertical deflectors already put in Barcelona two weeks ago (that I did not notice then). The most forward three, marked with the white arrows, are there since Austria.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Just_a_fan

Applying eye-cfd, it appears they're setting up a vortex with the white-arrowed VGs. The red VGs then reinforce the vortex and also, crucially, direct it outwards or rather it stops the vortex being pulled in with the airflow as the coke-bottle narrows. I would then guess the yellow VGs are aimed at sending the vortex outboard around the rear tyre.

This is "sealing the floor" by running a vortex along the upper edge of the floor to help prevent air flowing from the side. The vortex "sucks" the poor airflow and reduces influx on the bottom edge of the floor.

As said, this is all eye-cfd based on nothing more than hand waving. :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

zibby43

Just_a_fan wrote:
29 Aug 2020, 21:13
Applying eye-cfd, it appears they're setting up a vortex with the white-arrowed VGs. The red VGs then reinforce the vortex and also, crucially, direct it outwards or rather it stops the vortex being pulled in with the airflow as the coke-bottle narrows. I would then guess the yellow VGs are aimed at sending the vortex outboard around the rear tyre.

This is "sealing the floor" by running a vortex along the upper edge of the floor to help prevent air flowing from the side. The vortex "sucks" the poor airflow and reduces influx on the bottom edge of the floor.

Think you're onto something, as all of these effects help generate more efficient downforce. Think the update was aimed at being even kinder on the tires, which would then allow the car to utilize more of its pace in the race without chewing through them

In AMuS' post-race analysis today, a Merc engineer reported:

"Our aero upgrade for race distances worked as the wind tunnel promised. Red Bull was closer on one-lap pace, but lost more time on us in the race trim. It usually works the other way round."

mkay

Mark Hughes stating that Merc went higher DF in part because they can’t get adequate performance out of their low downforce package, and that RB would have likely been a lot closer had they gone lower DF (as they have a comparatively better package).

This has somewhat been echoed by Shovlin in the post race debrief, actually. Team needs to dig deep over the coming week to come up with something otherwise Monza could be troublesome, especially with the new FIA directive on engine modes.

Moore77

So, it's safe to conclude that the upgrades have worked as expected. That car was a monster in Sector 2 yesterday with Hamilton, while being an almost match in Sector 1.

It's strange to see that, Mercedes is losing time in the last chicane, which used to be the car's strongest suite. The team has been talking about improving slow corner speed. But this one was way too far. They were 3 to 4 tenths slower, just in that chicane.

Moore77

zibby43 wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 00:13
Just_a_fan wrote:

Think you're onto something, as all of these effects help generate more efficient downforce. Think the update was aimed at being even kinder on the tires, which would then allow the car to utilize more of its pace in the race without chewing through them

"Our aero upgrade for race distances worked as the wind tunnel promised. Red Bull was closer on one-lap pace, but lost more time on us in the race trim. It usually works the other way round."
They must be having a good idea as to why that has changed. :)

Why is it that they had exact same top speed of 327 kph in each of the qualifying segments (Q1, Q2, Q3)? Saw that on live timing replay on F1 app.

Unlike upto Silverstone 2, where Bono used to tell Hamilton to go for Strat 11(Q1), Strat 3(Q2) and Strat 2(Q1) in every single qualifying lap, he has stopped telling that since Spain! In Spain though, while Hamilton was leaving the garage for Q2, he asked for a confirmation on Strat 3, to which Bono responded in affirmative and that was the only time I heard about the Strat mode. This is based on what I have heard, following hamilton from onboard camera mode in F1TV app for the whole of qualifying session for Hungary, Silverstone 1, Silverstone 2, Spain and Belgium. I did hear in Belgium for Q3 though, it was Strat 2.

SiLo

Moore77 wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 11:34
So, it's safe to conclude that the upgrades have worked as expected. That car was a monster in Sector 2 yesterday with Hamilton, while being an almost match in Sector 1.

It's strange to see that, Mercedes is losing time in the last chicane, which used to be the car's strongest suite. The team has been talking about improving slow corner speed. But this one was way too far. They were 3 to 4 tenths slower, just in that chicane.
Where is your source for being 3-4 tenths slower only in the chicane?
Felipe Baby!

zibby43

Moore77 wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 11:39
zibby43 wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 00:13
Just_a_fan wrote:

They must be having a good idea as to why that has changed. :)

Why is it that they had exact same top speed of 327 kph in each of the qualifying segments (Q1, Q2, Q3)? Saw that on live timing replay on F1 app.

Unlike upto Silverstone 2, where Bono used to tell Hamilton to go for Strat 11(Q1), Strat 3(Q2) and Strat 2(Q1) in every single qualifying lap, he has stopped telling that since Spain! In Spain though, while Hamilton was leaving the garage for Q2, he asked for a confirmation on Strat 3, to which Bono responded in affirmative and that was the only time I heard about the Strat mode. This is based on what I have heard, following hamilton from onboard camera mode in F1TV app for the whole of qualifying session for Hungary, Silverstone 1, Silverstone 2, Spain and Belgium. I did hear in Belgium for Q3 though, it was Strat 2.
Interesting re: the trap speeds remaining the same. Thanks for sharing.

zibby43

mkay wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 10:10
Mark Hughes stating that Merc went higher DF in part because they can’t get adequate performance out of their low downforce package, and that RB would have likely been a lot closer had they gone lower DF (as they have a comparatively better package).

This has somewhat been echoed by Shovlin in the post race debrief, actually. Team needs to dig deep over the coming week to come up with something otherwise Monza could be troublesome, especially with the new FIA directive on engine modes.
I read that too, but Monza is quite different in that requires a complete low-downforce package (not a compromise with just a skinnier RW), since there is no section like S2 at Spa.

It seems like Merc's problems were with balance when running the smaller wing. So it may've been they couldn't get the car balanced front-to-rear when running the smaller wing.

Merc's complete low-downforce package was quite competitive at Monza last year, with them being within a tenth of Ferrari.