[ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Wouter

Re: [ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

Just_a_fan wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 11:56
Wouter wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 10:44

From the article:

A new shutdown period has been introduced for power unit manufacturers, moving in line with the enforced three-week break all F1 teams are currently taking.

Engine arms such as Mercedes-AMG High Performance Powertrain were previously exempt from the shutdown.
They did not have to close and were allowed to continue working? Why?
The engine factories were helping with ventilator manufacture for Covid.
I did not understand from the text that they meant those activities.
I thought it was about the engines development.
The Power of Dreams!

Big Tea

Wouter wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 13:08
Just_a_fan wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 11:56
Wouter wrote:

From the article:

The engine factories were helping with ventilator manufacture for Covid.
I did not understand from the text that they meant those activities.
I thought it was about the engines development.
Can not find the item, but in one a Merc engineer says the factory seemed strange with only 28 people there. It was an item on making the ventilators.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

mem

just to spice things up a little after the borefest of SPA.
so RBR and mercs i mean all teams will put extremely low downforce RW , talking about a one mode race will lead me to talk about the drop in power for mercs we saw in qualifications last Saturday which i fully believe was due to uploading the ERS informations to FIA it was very visible and noticeable even Honda talking about it but they think
its because mercs didn't use party mode which we already know they used the full party mode (strat 2)
"Red Bull Honda used qualifying mode this weekend, so let's see how it goes next weekend. However, I got the impression that Mercedes has already tested without qualifying mode," Honda's CEO concludes.

With this Tanabe suggests that Mercedes did not use Party Mode during qualifying last weekend. The gap between Mercedes and Max Verstappen was also only 5 tenths, which surprised Mercedes as well as Red Bull and Max Verstappen.

https://www.gptoday.net/nl/nieuws/f1/25 ... party-mode

although in spain the gap was 8 tenths with strat 3.

so using one mode only for an entire race will lead me to think mercs performance will drop another bit in Monza , for the fact that their dominance based basically on how they switch between engine modes during the race. in other words Hamilton could bull some fastest lap 4 or 5 continuously to open a gap before switching back to lesser mode he won't be able to do that again.
in a nutshell in Monza i think mercs will still be the favorite ofcourse but with a small gap to Max he may even manage a battle , specially that tyre pressure will change for that race.

_cerber1

Quite the opposite, Toto said that saving the motor in qualifying would give them an edge in the race. Literally, he gave this ratio: 5 qualifying laps, equal to 25 fastest laps in the race.

tangodjango
tangodjango

mem wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 13:11
just to spice things up a little after the borefest of SPA.
so RBR and mercs i mean all teams will put extremely low downforce RW , talking about a one mode race will lead me to talk about the drop in power for mercs we saw in qualifications last Saturday which i fully believe was due to uploading the ERS informations to FIA it was very visible and noticeable even Honda talking about it but they think
its because mercs didn't use party mode which we already know they used the full party mode (strat 2)
"Red Bull Honda used qualifying mode this weekend, so let's see how it goes next weekend. However, I got the impression that Mercedes has already tested without qualifying mode," Honda's CEO concludes.

With this Tanabe suggests that Mercedes did not use Party Mode during qualifying last weekend. The gap between Mercedes and Max Verstappen was also only 5 tenths, which surprised Mercedes as well as Red Bull and Max Verstappen.

https://www.gptoday.net/nl/nieuws/f1/25 ... party-mode

although in spain the gap was 8 tenths with strat 3.

so using one mode only for an entire race will lead me to think mercs performance will drop another bit in Monza , for the fact that their dominance based basically on how they switch between engine modes during the race. in other words Hamilton could bull some fastest lap 4 or 5 continuously to open a gap before switching back to lesser mode he won't be able to do that again.
in a nutshell in Monza i think mercs will still be the favorite ofcourse but with a small gap to Max he may even manage a battle , specially that tyre pressure will change for that race.
Ok so Honda think they didn't use party mode and ers restrictions had no tangible effect but you know better? After Barcelona qualifying people were saying they had reprogrammed strat 2 to strat 3 so what prevents them from doing the reverse this time?
“Hamilton’s talent is perhaps even more than that of Ayrton or Schumacher or Fernando." - Rubens Barrichello

Sieper

_cerber1 wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 13:23
Quite the opposite, Toto said that saving the motor in qualifying would give them an edge in the race. Literally, he gave this ratio: 5 qualifying laps, equal to 25 fastest laps in the race.
Then I don't understand why Toto hasn't been pushing for a qualy mode ban since 2014.

_cerber1

Sieper wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 13:41
Then I don't understand why Toto hasn't been pushing for a qualy mode ban since 2014.
What for? They are doing well, with or without a regime.

Alexf1
Alexf1

Wouter wrote:

From the article:

A new shutdown period has been introduced for power unit manufacturers, moving in line with the enforced three-week break all F1 teams are currently taking.

Engine arms such as Mercedes-AMG High Performance Powertrain were previously exempt from the shutdown.
My link to this old article was meant as a reply to langedweil as he stated that the budgetcap as of 2021 will come too late as top teams would already be working on the 2022 car in 2020 without a budgetcap. The article states that in 2020 it is not allowed to work on the 2022 car design so all work can only be done as of the budget cap era

dans79

Alexf1 wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 13:50
Wouter wrote:

From the article:

My link to this old article was meant as a reply to langedweil as he stated that the budgetcap as of 2021 will come too late as top teams would already be working on the 2022 car in 2020 without a budgetcap. The article states that in 2020 it is not allowed to work on the 2022 car design so all work can only be done as of the budget cap era
The thing is the teams can hide a lot of 2022 work in generalized aero development for 2020/1.
197 104 103 7

Big Tea

_cerber1 wrote:
I know it sounds like splinting hairs, but it does make a huge difference to context. I believe he said faster, rather than fastest

Apologies if it sounds pedantic.

_cerber1

Big Tea wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 14:14
_cerber1 wrote:
I know it sounds like splinting hairs, but it does make a huge difference to context. I believe he said faster, rather than fastest

English is not my native language, so I apologize for any mistakes.

Big Tea

_cerber1 wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 14:19
Big Tea wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 14:14
_cerber1 wrote:

English is not my native language, so I apologize for any mistakes.
Its fine, just in the context it is a big difference.

mem

_cerber1 wrote:
if i understand the one mode correctly
they can't do fastest laps any more they have only one mode unless they will set the PU for the fastest lap mode which will kill the PU in one race or 2 , mercs strategy were always be to pull a gap then maintain it by switching modes.
if you mean they will lift and cost but won't that keep the higher mode timing map the same so the strain will remain?!!
tangodjango wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 13:25
Ok so Honda think they didn't use party mode and ers restrictions had no tangible effect but you know better? After Barcelona qualifying people were saying they had reprogrammed strat 2 to strat 3 so what prevents them from doing the reverse this time?
never heard of that , all i know they used strat 2 in SPA qualy, and honestly i think Max was able to stay near under 1.5 to Bottas and 5 to Hamilton till his tyres started to wear i even think 2 laps more and Ricciardo was going to win the race.

Sieper

_cerber1 wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 13:46
Sieper wrote:
But if it will only make merc better as Toto said it seems a shame, they have missed out on quite some wins last year. In fact, the factory has now had to work so hard people almost had a burn out.Well, water under the bridge, at least now mercedes can extent its advantage, happy days!

Moore77

Sieper wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 14:46
_cerber1 wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 13:46
Sieper wrote:
But if it will only make merc better as Toto said it seems a shame, they have missed out on quite some wins last year. In fact, the factory has now had to work so hard people almost had a burn out.Well, water under the bridge, at least now mercedes can extent its advantage, happy days!
For your sake, I couldn't wait for this week to be over! :D
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.