Party (mode) is over! Which PU will suffer the most.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Which PU will suffer the most?

Poll ended at 05 Sep 2020, 10:59

Mercedes
31%
Honda
47%
Renault
22%

Total votes: 32

FrukostScones

Party (mode) is over! Which PU will suffer the most.

From Monza on teams will have to use certain PU settings and cannot freely choose in qualy and race.

German Auto Motor und Sport expalin it like this:

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... rektive%2F

Which PU will suffer the most in Qualy and maybe also race?

I left out Ferrari for obvious reasons.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

henry

Re: Party (mode) is over! Which PU will suffer the most.

You need to define suffer.

Slower in qualification?
Slower in the race?
Less reliable?
...?

I doubt anyone outside the teams has the faintest idea. It’s likely to take some serious data crunching to get any handle on the change in PU performance.

IMO the tyres are much more important, and will make any attempt to apportion performance difference very difficult.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

hurril

I think this is all a competency issue and Mercedes' is just a cut above the rest in this regard so they will come out on top.

El Scorchio

Maybe Honda. From trying to keep up with Mercedes in the races if they can now run their engines harder for longer. I can't imagine the fallout on here if all the Honda and Renault engines start going pop now.

Jolle

Why did you leave out Ferrari? There might be a chance they will suffer the most because they can’t run their engines in a “saving” mode now because of the big gap. Mercedes would suffer the least, they have in race trim still much room for extra power which they can use if they fill
up the tank more then they do now (usually they don’t run the full 110kg).

For Monza I expect an even bigger gap for Mercedes with the 6 ferraris together with Latifi at the back.

FrukostScones

henry wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 11:14
You need to define suffer.

Slower in qualification?
Slower in the race?
Less reliable?
...?

I doubt anyone outside the teams has the faintest idea. It’s likely to take some serious data crunching to get any handle on the change in PU performance.

IMO the tyres are much more important, and will make any attempt to apportion performance difference very difficult.
1. and . 2 and also 3. a bit.

I left Ferrari out because:
-They could be the lobbyist force behind this FIA TD (indicator: FIA agreement and cooperation FIA to enable the governing body to better monitor power units and plug any regulatory loopholes. https://www.racefans.net/2020/03/02/why ... ower-unit/)
-They pretend to not use a party mode
-to avoid anti Ferrari sentiment trolling bias in the poll.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

SiLo

Mercedes in qualification, Honda in the race.
Felipe Baby!

Moore77

SiLo wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 14:08
Mercedes in qualification, Honda in the race.
Pretty much same feeling here. But not that Mercedes would be out qualified by anyone even if they lose that bite in quali. I still think the quali difference between Mercedes and Red Bull would be significant!
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

collindsilva

How about the midfield, specially customer teams such as AT, RP and williams.

El Scorchio

collindsilva wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 14:18
How about the midfield, specially customer teams such as AT, RP and williams.
That is teams rather than PUs per se, but I think all customer teams will suffer relative to the 4 engine manufacturer teams. Reason being the silly (IMO) rule that all teams that share an engine have to have the same settings or mappings. MB, RBR, Renault and Ferrari are hardly going to sacrifice any of their own performance to suit the needs of their customer teams/cars, are they? I'm going to guess the settings or mappings will be whatever is most beneficial for the works cars, and all the customers will just have to deal with it which will inevitably lead to some loss of optimal performance.

Sieper

Other way around. Most people think Honda will be affected most. That is likely from Merc and ferrari fans. I think merc will be affected most (as They always gained most in Q sessions) And I am honda, RBR fan. So at least for me it is true. But OK, also have the historical data on my side.

El Scorchio

I have really no idea who it'll effect the most, so it'll be interesting to see, but my thinking is (as I said) there might be more pressure on Honda now to run the engine a little harder than they'd like in races if Mercedes can give themselves extra race pace.

I see it as a shame for everyone in general as it takes away options and freedom to fine tune performance. Maybe it'll turn out that it opens a few things up strategically which may be good consequences. If it turns out to just put more distance between teams then it's going to go down very badly hence my comment about engines going pop. I've been fairly adamant that I think the intention and timing is to help Ferrari regain some competitiveness. Maybe cynical, maybe not...

aral

Already this thread is turning into a fanboy dispute. please try to keep your posts on topic and do not gloat or stir.

Sieper

Please close the superfluous thread altogether, we have now 4 threads on the same topic.

dans79

Sieper wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 16:51
Please close the superfluous thread altogether, we have now 4 threads on the same topic.
This is the only poll though!
197 104 103 7