2020 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa-Francorchamps, August 28 - 30

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Sieper

Re: 2020 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa-Francorchamps, August 28 - 30

Ringleheim wrote:
03 Sep 2020, 05:33
Schuttelberg wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 10:49
I don't tend to take team radio's too seriously as its heat of the moment stuff. However, when they become as cluttered and dysfunctional as it is at Ferrari, it's alarming. Every week there's a new dose of nonsense and it's happening on either side of the garage.
Something is very seriously broken in that camp. I'm not one of those guys who thinks 'change' or calling for people's heads is an answer to issues but there has to be a RESET done over there and I know one bloke is leaving but they need to trust their drivers more and communicate plans with them very clearly. The drivers CANNOT be your chief strategists on the fly. You have to improvise and keep changing as per the situation in a race, yes, but the directive needs to come from the pit wall and not the cockpit.
Do you really think the drivers at Ferrari are the chief strategists on the fly?

Come on, man.
I'll chime in. I strongly agree with Ringleheim. There have been reasons why the strategy seemed from the outside a little haphazardly. But now Ferrari is in a position where everything gets viewed/explained with the worst possible outcome in mind. It can be good to vent frustration, or have a laugh (at the expense), and possibly it is even good for Ferrari to receive an incredible amount of criticism, but they are not complete idiots, far far from. They are now suffering. Suffering from a route they went down a few years ago. The basis under that has been taken away. They now need to reboot.

It hasn't been easy that's for sure. I'll say this as well, you probably also know I have been very critical of the Ferarri from last year, especially Spa onwards. Why is it that other teams are even faster then Ferrari from last year. That is also strange. Talking about all teams. Just like in cycling, now we are all dope free, yes really. but still we go quicker each year. Sure, legitimate improvement is always made, certainly also in auto racing, but it also has to do with how well you can keep your own secrets. FIA needs to be much stronger in order for all teams to adhere to the rules. Would make racing closer.

El Scorchio

Re: 2020 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa-Francorchamps, August 28 - 30

Sieper wrote:
03 Sep 2020, 10:28
Ringleheim wrote:
03 Sep 2020, 05:33
Schuttelberg wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 10:49
I don't tend to take team radio's too seriously as its heat of the moment stuff. However, when they become as cluttered and dysfunctional as it is at Ferrari, it's alarming. Every week there's a new dose of nonsense and it's happening on either side of the garage.
Something is very seriously broken in that camp. I'm not one of those guys who thinks 'change' or calling for people's heads is an answer to issues but there has to be a RESET done over there and I know one bloke is leaving but they need to trust their drivers more and communicate plans with them very clearly. The drivers CANNOT be your chief strategists on the fly. You have to improvise and keep changing as per the situation in a race, yes, but the directive needs to come from the pit wall and not the cockpit.
Do you really think the drivers at Ferrari are the chief strategists on the fly?

Come on, man.
I'll chime in. I strongly agree with Ringleheim. There have been reasons why the strategy seemed from the outside a little haphazardly. But now Ferrari is in a position where everything gets viewed/explained with the worst possible outcome in mind. It can be good to vent frustration, or have a laugh (at the expense), and possibly it is even good for Ferrari to receive an incredible amount of criticism, but they are not complete idiots, far far from. They are now suffering. Suffering from a route they went down a few years ago. The basis under that has been taken away. They now need to reboot.

It hasn't been easy that's for sure. I'll say this as well, you probably also know I have been very critical of the Ferarri from last year, especially Spa onwards. Why is it that other teams are even faster then Ferrari from last year. That is also strange. Talking about all teams. Just like in cycling, now we are all dope free, yes really. but still we go quicker each year. Sure, legitimate improvement is always made, certainly also in auto racing, but it also has to do with how well you can keep your own secrets. FIA needs to be much stronger in order for all teams to adhere to the rules. Would make racing closer.
The messages with Vettel in (Spain?) were extraordinary. His engineer either couldn't or wouldn't give him the information he needed. So either the strategists were stumped or they purposely left him out to dry. Either way, regardless of whether he's leaving or not, that is shambolic and is the sort of thing that costs the team even more points than they are already losing out on. It gives the impression (even if it's not the reality) that Ferrari just don't know what they are doing as a team at the moment.