Information Request about rear upright design of a single seater

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
firasf1dream

Information Request about rear upright design of a single seater

Hello Gentlemen,
I would like some help please finding information about how to design a rear upright for a single seater, the books I have that I read from are Race Car Vehicle Dynamics by the milliken and Race Car Design by Derek Seward, but there is not much information about it.

Thanks in advance

Greg Locock

Re: Information Request about rear upright design of a single seater

I haven't got Seward, but RCVD is not actually a practical design guide. Usually I'd say Carroll Smith's books are the place to start.

My usual process for designing a suspension is to get all the targets, sit with a drafty and define the likely architecture, and then mess about with hardpoints until it meets the kinematics. Then we go round the loop for all the other targets.

firasf1dream

Greg Locock wrote:
03 Sep 2020, 03:24
I haven't got Seward, but RCVD is not actually a practical design guide. Usually I'd say Carroll Smith's books are the place to start.

My usual process for designing a suspension is to get all the targets, sit with a drafty and define the likely architecture, and then mess about with hardpoints until it meets the kinematics. Then we go round the loop for all the other targets.
Greg can you please explain why RCVD is not a practical design guide ?
what about rear uprights and its variables ?

Greg Locock

RCVD is a great book, but it doesn't get into the nitty gritty of what you need to do to design a suspension. As an example, does it talk about how much jounce travel you need (and why)? Does it talk about the loads you need to design your suspension for? etc etc etc

firasf1dream

Greg Locock wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 01:42
RCVD is a great book, but it doesn't get into the nitty gritty of what you need to do to design a suspension. As an example, does it talk about how much jounce travel you need (and why)? Does it talk about the loads you need to design your suspension for? etc etc etc
not sure what it means, but it talks about the wheel loads, but lots of SAE students use this book

Greg Locock

Sure, and so do I.