FIA wants to ban qualifying modes in 2021

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Big Tea

Re: FIA wants to ban qualifying modes in 2021

siskue2005 wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 12:29
Big Tea wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 12:20
There is nothing stopping a team taking a new engine every race is there?
Other than cost and a grid penalty. Take for instance, AT.
They are among the mid field but capable of getting up there with a little extra power.
A new engine in high output high damage condition, good race and points, then use for practice the following week as the last of the life is used, then a new engine and 10 place grid drop. But an engine with enough extra to easily get back into the top 10, then probably enough extra to get near the top 5.

Only cost really, offset by points.
No, according to AMUS as posted above, all Engine make teams should run the same mode.
Which is really stupid in my opinion :?
But it does not stipulate engine build. some can be made more fragile and more powerful. also, we dont know how they are specifying 'mode' do we? if an engine is built to a standard, it probably has to be tweaked as it wil not be identical to another. It it's 'natural' position is (say) timing sooner or later, is 'mode' the amount it can be adjusted from there, of from a mathematical point?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

siskue2005

basti313 wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 12:30
siskue2005 wrote:
Big Tea wrote:
They are among the mid field but capable of getting up there with a little extra power.
A new engine in high output high damage condition, good race and points, then use for practice the following week as the last of the life is used, then a new engine and 10 place grid drop. But an engine with enough extra to easily get back into the top 10, then probably enough extra to get near the top 5.

No, according to AMUS as posted above, all Engine make teams should run the same mode. (i dont know if it is true or not)
But IMO it is really stupid :?
essentially killing the race IMHO
Why?
Everyone in same mode, with current aero rules, there is no way of close racing
It negates the possibility of lower teams having a good race with higher mod for just that race.
etc. etc.

Now tell me why it would be good idea for racing?

siskue2005

Big Tea wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 12:33
siskue2005 wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

No, according to AMUS as posted above, all Engine make teams should run the same mode.
Which is really stupid in my opinion :?
But it does not stipulate engine build. some can be made more fragile and more powerful. also, we dont know how they are specifying 'mode' do we? if an engine is built to a standard, it probably has to be tweaked as it wil not be identical to another. It it's 'natural' position is (say) timing sooner or later, is 'mode' the amount it can be adjusted from there, of from a mathematical point?
Yeah i agree

but this is what the article says
I dont know if it just a miss translation, cannot find any english article

"On from the third engine per season, all engines of one manufacturer need to be run in the same mode"

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... direktive/

basti313

siskue2005 wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 12:34
basti313 wrote:
siskue2005 wrote:

No, according to AMUS as posted above, all Engine make teams should run the same mode. (i dont know if it is true or not)
Why?
Everyone in same mode, with current aero rules, there is no way of close racing
It negates the possibility of lower teams having a good race with higher mod for just that race.
etc. etc.

Now tell me why it would be good idea for racing?
These are pure dreams.
In reality we never saw a midfield team ruining the engine for one race. This is unrealistic as the current assumption on party modes is rather temperature than lifetime management. You can not wear it down in one race, because this would spoil temperature management.
Also with overtaking, we barely see the situation where someone hunts down another one and drives the other one in depleting his mode allowance. With Merc running in front anyways unrealistic...but in the end it comes simply down to tire situation and with a tire advantage that allows the "hunt" it is also possible to overtake without modes.
Don`t russel the hamster!

siskue2005

basti313 wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 12:53
These are pure dreams.
Please prove it is pure dreams, rather than saying such stuffs
In reality we never saw a midfield team ruining the engine for one race.
Until now there was no scope to do that, but now with the same mod rule it is 100% possible (unless they want to close that possibility of an existing race)
Also with overtaking, we barely see the situation where someone hunts down another one and drives the other one in depleting his mode allowance. With Merc running in front anyways unrealistic...but in the end it comes simply down to tire situation and with a tire advantage that allows the "hunt" it is also possible to overtake without modes.
So overtaking has nothing to do with engine, just tyres? :wtf:

basti313

siskue2005 wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 13:05
basti313 wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 12:53
These are pure dreams.
Please prove it is pure dreams, rather than saying such stuffs
In reality we never saw a midfield team ruining the engine for one race.
Until now there was no scope to do that, but now with the same mod rule it is 100% possible (unless they want to close that possibility of an existing race)
So overtaking has nothing to do with engine, just tyres? :wtf:
You prove nothing and request prove???

Yes, overtaking has nothing to do with engine maps if they are fairly similar among the teams. It comes down to tires, nothing else.

Wouter

siskue2005 wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 12:35
Yeah i agree

"On from the third engine per season, all engines of one manufacturer need to be run in the same mode"

Why do you keep nagging about that? The journalists at AMuS are always present at the races and are kept very well informed by the FIA ​​by means of an official letter, only intended for certain journalists.
They also speak excellent English, of course. Is the information only reliable if it is on an English site? #-o
AMuS is the most reliable site in Germany.
The Power of Dreams!

siskue2005

Wouter wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 13:12
siskue2005 wrote:
Yeah i agree

Why do you keep nagging about that? The journalists at AMuS are always present at the races and are kept very well informed by the FIA ​​by means of an official letter, only intended for certain journalists.
They also speak excellent English, of course. Is the information only reliable if it is on an English site? #-o
So is it crime to ask what the translation means? It was actually google translated (which i dont beleive is good)
And i dont speak German, and only know English, so forgive me for asking for a reliable translation

siskue2005

basti313 wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 13:08

Yes, overtaking has nothing to do with engine maps if they are fairly similar among the teams. It comes down to tires, nothing else.
Do you exact power output to show that it is similar among the teams?

MtthsMlw

The translation is correct.

e30ernest

basti313 wrote:
Norris had his brilliant last lap scraps because he was allowed to run a higher engine mode. Sure he nursed his tires better, but towards the end he was able to attack even more because he also had a more power available to him.

Big Tea

e30ernest wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 13:33
basti313 wrote:
Norris had his brilliant last lap scraps because he was allowed to run a higher engine mode. Sure he nursed his tires better, but towards the end he was able to attack even more because he also had a more power available to him.
Thats another point. With the standardised (all but) engine modes, there is going to be less scope to alter tyre use patterns. another differential gone
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Wouter

siskue2005 wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 13:21
Wouter wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 13:12
siskue2005 wrote:
Yeah i agree

So is it crime to ask what the translation means? It was actually google translated (which i dont beleive is good)
And i dont speak German, and only know English, so forgive me for asking for a reliable translation
I speak German and English and had already indicated several times that the translation was correct, and AMuS provides reliable information.
Anyway, keep looking for an English site, then you can be 100% sure that the translation is good. :wink:
The Power of Dreams!

basti313

e30ernest wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 13:33
basti313 wrote:
Except for Merc all others were also in high power modes and Merc was practically in "limp home" at the Lando glory run. I do not see the effect of engine mode here, rather of completely done tires and broken wings.
Furthermore the big gain was depleting the battery with the overtake button which was used in every possible occasion. This will be still possible.

search

basti313 wrote:
siskue2005 wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

Why?
not sure if it kills the racing, but running all in the same mode on from engine 3 just makes no sense, in my opinion.

Russell for example introduced his 2nd engine in Styia, so he'll get his 3rd one relatively soon, while Mercedes will get the 3rd one much later in the season. Once they introduce it, they either need to use a mode too low for Mercedes then (to save Russell's engine) or a too high one, risking Russell's to blow.