FIA wants to ban qualifying modes in 2021

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
basti313

Re: FIA wants to ban qualifying modes in 2021

search wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 15:13
basti313 wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 12:30
siskue2005 wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 12:29

No, according to AMUS as posted above, all Engine make teams should run the same mode. (i dont know if it is true or not)
But IMO it is really stupid :?
essentially killing the race IMHO
Why?
not sure if it kills the racing, but running all in the same mode on from engine 3 just makes no sense, in my opinion.

Russell for example introduced his 2nd engine in Styia, so he'll get his 3rd one relatively soon, while Mercedes will get the 3rd one much later in the season. Once they introduce it, they either need to use a mode too low for Mercedes then (to save Russell's engine) or a too high one, risking Russell's to blow.
So why is this a problem? If Russell had his engine exchanged early because it is defective, he takes a penalty and fits another one. There is no gain for anyone if they would try to make the engine survive longer by running low power. There is also no gain for anyone with gloryruns, because you saved engine life earlier.

Please guys....get over this nonsense of spectacle by engine modes. There is none.
Don`t russel the hamster!

dans79

basti313 wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 16:56
Up to now there is no clear example or clear argument why mode switching brings racing if everyone can do it.
The last race was a good example, Lewis was in the wrong mode so he complained over the radio of a loss of power. It was clipping, but if someone has been close to him they might have overtaken him because of his mistake.

Modes give the drivers more balls to juggle, thus more chances of making mistakes.
197 104 103 7

basti313

dans79 wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 17:03
basti313 wrote:
Up to now there is no clear example or clear argument why mode switching brings racing if everyone can do it.
The last race was a good example, Lewis was in the wrong mode so he complained over the radio of a loss of power. It was clipping, but if someone has been close to him they might have overtaken him because of his mistake.

Modes give the drivers more balls to juggle, thus more chances of making mistakes.
They will have clipping events also without the switching. Maybe even planned clipping at the beginning or the end of the race. The only issue will be that they can not get over it. In this regard...more spectacle.

siskue2005

basti313 wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 17:10
dans79 wrote:
basti313 wrote:

They will have clipping events also without the switching. Maybe even planned clipping at the beginning or the end of the race. The only issue will be that they can not get over it. In this regard...more spectacle.
There won't be clipping when u cannot change mods from qualifying first lap till race end

basti313

siskue2005 wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 17:05
basti313 wrote:
siskue2005 wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 16:51

Just because you don't agree with others view, they should not stop discussing it. If you can't bare the argument please don't antagonise
There is no discussion, there is only moaning. Up to now there is no clear example or clear argument why mode switching brings racing if everyone can do it.

They even had mode switching and engine life balance, even fuel saving in the Bridgestone time. I do not remember any effect...
I can also see moaning from your side as well,
Up to now there is no clear example or clear argument why NOT switching mode brings racing if everyone can not do it.
Moaning? I like the change. No moaning about removed switches from my side. Maybe a complaint...I would fix the maps for longer than one race in terms of one engine, one map.

There is no clear example why not switching modes brings racing. The modes have no effect on racing.If two similar cars are racing, they are in the same mode.
It might look like spectacle bringing if Merc can outpower others in Q3, in and outlaps or simply by running high power longer time. But this is simply an effect of the engine being better and kills racing exactly in the same way as it brings racing.

subcritical71

siskue2005 wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 17:15
basti313 wrote:
dans79 wrote:

There won't be clipping when u cannot change mods from qualifying first lap till race end
I thought the limit was placed on the ICE not the ERS system. So ICE modes are frozen but ERS deployment/recovery are still open(?)

Edit: Explained a little further in this video:
Last edited by subcritical71 on 04 Sep 2020, 17:47, edited 1 time in total.

siskue2005

subcritical71 wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 17:38
siskue2005 wrote:
basti313 wrote:

I thought the limit was placed on the ICE not the ERS system. So ICE modes are frozen but ERS deployment/recovery are still open(?)
The engine mode includes power unit, including ERS deployment and recovery
please correct me if i am wrong

subcritical71

siskue2005 wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 17:47
subcritical71 wrote:
siskue2005 wrote:

Check the link I just added to my post. Sorry, I edited as you were responding! In it he specifically says ERS modes are still being used and changed during the race.

siskue2005

basti313 wrote:
siskue2005 wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 17:05
basti313 wrote:

There is no discussion, there is only moaning. Up to now there is no clear example or clear argument why mode switching brings racing if everyone can do it.

They even had mode switching and engine life balance, even fuel saving in the Bridgestone time. I do not remember any effect...
I can also see moaning from your side as well,
Up to now there is no clear example or clear argument why NOT switching mode brings racing if everyone can not do it.
Moaning? I like the change. No moaning about removed switches from my side. Maybe a complaint...I would fix the maps for longer than one race in terms of one engine, one map.

There is no clear example why not switching modes brings racing. The modes have no effect on racing.If two similar cars are racing, they are in the same mode.
If so there is no clear example of what you are saying, How can u say the modes have no effect on racing as was demonstrated in opening races and last few season, there are many many examples.
But you have not provided any example for otherwise.

Big Tea

subcritical71 wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 17:48
siskue2005 wrote:
subcritical71 wrote:

Check the link I just added to my post. Sorry, I edited as you were responding! In it he specifically says ERS modes are still being used and changed during the race.
Is that not only for in lap out lap and safety car lap? During 'normal' racing it is the one set 'mode' ?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

henry

siskue2005 wrote:
subcritical71 wrote:
siskue2005 wrote:

I’m afraid you’re wrong.

The engine is the ICE.
1.23 Engine
The internal combustion engine including ancillaries and actuator systems necessary for its proper function.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

siskue2005

subcritical71 wrote:
siskue2005 wrote:
subcritical71 wrote:

Oh, nice
I thought the entire ERS is frozen with modes
If so then i dont see there will be any change to the current level of competitiveness

siskue2005

henry wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 18:00
siskue2005 wrote:
subcritical71 wrote:

I’m afraid you’re wrong.

The engine is the ICE.
1.23 Engine
The internal combustion engine including ancillaries and actuator systems necessary for its proper function.
Thanks for clearing it up

These are the things the so-called ICE mode to be the definition of the following parameters in engine management:
Fuel flow rate
Air volume
Boost pressure
Combustion phasing
Injection times
Switching speed
Fuel temperature
Pressure in the pneumatic valve system, crankcase
oil pressure
Wastegate valve timing and MGU-H working time
Control of the power measured on the output shaft
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... direktive/

siskue2005

Big Tea wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 17:59
subcritical71 wrote:
siskue2005 wrote:

Is that not only for in lap out lap and safety car lap? During 'normal' racing it is the one set 'mode' ?
Exceptions to the new rule
The following exceptions are therefore permitted:

The laps on the starting place
Laps behind the Safety Car or at VSC speed (virtual SafetyCar)
The lap of honor after the checkered flag
Rounds before and after a flying qualifying round
Any other lap that is 20 percent above the fastest lap in the relevant qualifying session

subcritical71

siskue2005 wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 18:08
Big Tea wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 17:59
subcritical71 wrote:

Exceptions to the new rule
The following exceptions are therefore permitted:

The laps on the starting place
Laps behind the Safety Car or at VSC speed (virtual SafetyCar)
The lap of honor after the checkered flag
Rounds before and after a flying qualifying round
Any other lap that is 20 percent above the fastest lap in the relevant qualifying session
So the MGU-H (Should be MGU-k) strategies are not affected. They are free to change these at any time. The items you listed only effect the engine modes.

Edit: K not H
Last edited by subcritical71 on 04 Sep 2020, 19:47, edited 1 time in total.