2020 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, September 4 - 6

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
nevill3

Re: 2020 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, September 4 - 6

I think Bottas was just highlighting the fact that he got a tow and benefited from it in Q2, so could have gone quicker if Mercedes had not sent them both out first in Q3
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

ispano6

LM10 wrote:
05 Sep 2020, 17:41
Man, was I wrong by saying that in my opinion Max was going to be within 5 tenths of the fastest Mercedes.

The usage of party mode needs to be allowed again as soon as possible. Mercedes is going to absolutely wipe the floor with everyone tomorrow. They’ll be able to use the high engine mode for the whole race instead of cruising around like they would normally do to control engine wear and compensate for party mode being used in qualifying.

Wasn’t Redbull aware of that when they were pushing for this regulation?
What makes you think Red Bull's race pace will be slower? Honda has said the same thing as Mercedes. The stress you don't cause the engine makes it so that you can have more for the race.

Red Bull and Renault likely have set their set ups for race pace and tire wear. Mclaren looks quick in a straight line but how that will play out for them and their tires remains to be seen.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

LM10 wrote:Man, was I wrong by saying that in my opinion Max was going to be within 5 tenths of the fastest Mercedes.

The usage of party mode needs to be allowed again as soon as possible. Mercedes is going to absolutely wipe the floor with everyone tomorrow. They’ll be able to use the high engine mode for the whole race instead of cruising around like they would normally do to control engine wear and compensate for party mode being used in qualifying.

I believe that they felt in Mercedes’ trap... Mercedes has been nursing their engines so much during races that it made their qualifying mode look stronger than it actually was... Even a lot of members here were trying to use the end of race time delta to try and determine the gap between Mercedes and the rest and couldn’t accept that Mercedes simply did enough to win without having to exert themselves.

Now that they have to ensure they push a bit, they have unleashed more power from their engine and I wouldn’t be surprised if they still have some left in the tank and be more agresiva with their Qualy/Race mode.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

ispano6 wrote:
LM10 wrote:
Man, was I wrong by saying that in my opinion Max was going to be within 5 tenths of the fastest Mercedes.

What makes you think Red Bull's race pace will be slower? Honda has said the same thing as Mercedes. The stress you don't cause the engine makes it so that you can have more for the race.

Red Bull and Renault likely have set their set ups for race pace and tire wear. Mclaren looks quick in a straight line but how that will play out for them and their tires remains to be seen.
The MCL35 looked very well behaved and planted during both Practice and Qualifying... There is no reason to think that their race pace would be any worse than others based on that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sieper

Moore77 wrote:
05 Sep 2020, 17:22
ispano6 wrote:
05 Sep 2020, 17:15
Moore77 wrote:
05 Sep 2020, 17:12
Did you not say that Tanabe and Newey are learning fast, in the Silverstone thread?
viewtopic.php?p=917512#p917512
Why are you now not saying that Honda should look at themselves and admit they didn't do their homework?
What are you even talking about. I'm saying they are doing their homework. Have to finish the race to finish their homework.
OK. I will then come back after the race!
For what, to be happy RBR is losing? To rub it in? What Etusch is saying they will first look at the result the wear they experienced this race will give them. And from that they will choose the power settings for next race. At the end of this race they will not know that yet. Then they can first have a look at the PU and see what the effect was.

LM10
LM10

ispano6 wrote:
05 Sep 2020, 17:59
LM10 wrote:

Today we’ve seen the single lap pace in the mode the cars are going to be in tomorrow as well. The gap to Redbull is monstrous. The only limiting factor left is tyre wear and Redbull’s tyre nursing must be out of this world to close the gap to Mercedes.

Sieper wrote:
05 Sep 2020, 18:10
Moore77 wrote:
ispano6 wrote:
05 Sep 2020, 17:15

What are you even talking about. I'm saying they are doing their homework. Have to finish the race to finish their homework.
For what, to be happy RBR is losing? To rub it in? What Etusch is saying they will first look at the result the wear they experienced this race will give them. And from that they will choose the power settings for next race. At the end of this race they will not know that yet. Then they can first have a look at the PU and see what the effect was.
DiResta and Chandhok said in commentary that this is assessed on the dyno, not in race.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

dans79

214270 wrote:
05 Sep 2020, 18:17
DiResta and Chandhok said in commentary that this is assessed on the dyno, not in race.
Yea, that's the entire point of spending millions on a dyno.
197 104 103 7

PlatinumZealot

Mercedes has a message for the haterz...

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

JordanMugen

LM10 wrote:
The usage of party mode needs to be allowed again as soon as possible.
:lol:

The technical directive notes it will help FIA to analyse engine modes, so I can't see why the directive would be rolled back!

Sieper

Monza has never been good for redbull, this year in Hungary and Monza They have struggled most. The two tracks with extreme set ups. If that is a coincedence I don’t know.

Sieper

214270 wrote:
05 Sep 2020, 18:17
Sieper wrote:
05 Sep 2020, 18:10
Moore77 wrote:
That is probably correct as you cannot open an actual race unit offcourse. They have the same unit running under the same stress at the dyno to see what it (likely) also did to the race unit. Doesn’t change the fact that you still have to finish the race before you can look at the effect.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Wass85 wrote:
05 Sep 2020, 17:03
dans79 wrote:
05 Sep 2020, 16:52
NathanOlder wrote:
05 Sep 2020, 16:45

Just had a quick look, it was about 9 seconds. A tow from 9 seconds ?!? really ?
The Merc would need magical aero, to create a tow at that distance!
Which makes it all the more strange then why they didn't give a tow to one of their drivers
That's why. It would have massively benefited one over the other, which is not the Mercedes GP team way.

Of course, if Bottas was a lapdog, he'd have been made to give Hamilton a tow to ensure Hamilton's position. Which again underlines the even-handedness of the team to both drivers.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Sieper

They would have if they needed to. Like they did so many times before, the only reason this Q session wasn’t the farce it was last year is that merc just went out on time and on its own. The rest could then follow.

dans79

PlatinumZealot wrote:
05 Sep 2020, 18:55
Mercedes has a message for the haterz...

https://youtu.be/mzDVaKRApcg
If the Merc pr person wanted to get feisty, they could tweet this out.
197 104 103 7