2020 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, September 4 - 6

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: 2020 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, September 4 - 6

Thinking about the pit lane closure, I assume that it was briefly closed because the broken car was at the start of the pit lane entry and the marshals were bobbling about trying to decide what to do with the car. They didn't want the whole field streaming in before they'd figured what to do. it's an unusual situation and hence why there was a bit of a mess up by two teams/drivers.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Moore77

MtthsMlw wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 17:52
I had a feeling that Hamilton might not win! I have seen this happen to him a few times when he is about equal or break a certain record, it doesn't happen on the first instance. Sad though as he deserved it every bit.
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

NathanOlder wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 17:09
Albon last, and people have the cheek to moan about Bottas lol
He was driving with a badly damaged floor, although that may have been partially his fault. The optics couldn't have been worse under the circumstances though.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

siskue2005 wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 17:13
What was Albon doing? why was he last?? Pathetic driving from him, should shunt him back to AT and Gasly to that seat
Badly damaged floor.

ispano6

Hoffman900 wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 17:03
ispano6 wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 17:01
so proud to be a Honda fan. KARMA
Karma for what?

Mercedes got penalized.

Great drive by Gasly, I think he wanted that for AH. Was rooting for Carlos, but I’m not upset about Pierre at all.
I'm Buddhist, so maybe it's hard for others to understand.
noun
noun: karma

(in Hinduism and Buddhism) the sum of a person's actions in this and previous states of existence, viewed as deciding their fate in future existences.
Westerners have a different view of the word, as if it means to get even or something negative as in getting what they deserved. It does not have such connotation since it is Sanskrit.

NathanOlder

Wass85 wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 17:51
NathanOlder wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 17:48
Wass85 wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 17:44

Hence why they wanted to box on the first lap, Hamilton was questioning that move.
So Im guessing you dont see any reasons to pit straight away , actually you thought it was better to pit later. So are Mercedes still fools for doing so ? Lewis could have got Danny and Bottas (who were about 10 seconds up the road) if they listened to you lol
I mistakenly thought that it would be a benefit but it obviously wasn't as I wasn't taking in to account the race being two laps shorter.

Your hero Lewis was obviously thinking the same as well because he was questioning that move just the same on the radio and had to be told by Vowles to "trust" them.

If you don't believe that then why would he be on the radio querying it?
He's racing the race, he cant see it all and think about it long, he's busy. He accepted the team knew better and did the right thing. The team and driver made an error before the red flag, and rightly got a penalty. Not the best result, but considering RedBull had nothing at all today in both cars, its a good race and fairly decent result, Bottas back up to P2 =D>
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

NathanOlder

Hammerfist wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 17:55
djones wrote:
Wass85 wrote:

Hence why they wanted to box on the first lap, Hamilton was questioning that move.
ok you made me reply.

Hamilton was in the middle of a race with a lot going on. Hence why his team had to step in and say "trust me".

My 7 year old daughter has enough of an understanding of maths to work out it changes nothing in that scenario if you pit straight away or after a few laps. Why are you struggling so much??
Well it does change the stint length of the hard tire he used after the penalty. They would have been 2 laps fresher tires and might have made overtaking Albon a little easier and hence he might have gotten Ricciardo as well as a result.
It doesnt change the stint length. Its the same.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

holeindalip
holeindalip

Juzh wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 17:16
Without a shadow of doubt TD hit mercedes hard. Not in quali but in race they're very much not flying past people as they used to. Bottas stuck behind lando for the entire race just hovering on ~1s gap and even hamilton had to work hard for most of those overtakes against cars multiple seconds slower than him. Would never have happened before TD. It seems they also decided on a mode too powerful for quali and then couldnt cool the car enough trough the race.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Are you serious? Hamilton had this in the bag very easily before penalty... the td helped them more than hurt them.

Big Tea

NathanOlder wrote:
djones wrote:
Wass85 wrote:

ok you made me reply.

Hamilton was in the middle of a race with a lot going on. Hence why his team had to step in and say "trust me".

My 7 year old daughter has enough of an understanding of maths to work out it changes nothing in that scenario if you pit straight away or after a few laps. Why are you struggling so much??
Yeap,
Theres even a couple of reasons to pit straight away, 1 being if a safety car happens in the first couple of laps, if you got your penalty done, you can they catch back up to the pack for free. You cant take your penalty while the safety car is out, so if you stayed out and the safety car come out 2 laps in, you get screwed by losing laps with an unserved penalty. Secondly, he was on the hard tyre, with very little in terms of high speed corners, they take a few laps to get right up to temp after a restart with a slow warm up lap behind the safety car. So instead of staying out for 2 or 3 laps warming up the tyres, then stop with a 30 second pit stop, and then have more warm up time to go through. It just makes sense to do it straight away. So there are a couple of reasons to pit straight away.

The only reason to stay out as long as possible, is with a spread out pack, which it wasnt due to the safety car, well done to your 7yr old daughter for seeing this =D>

There is also that the cars when you catch them are closer together, and squabbling with eachother. This works the other way too, there is not cooling gap between the cars.

I think the main reason is that from long time watching, yellows call yellows. A safety or VC just as you leave the pits saves you 30 seconds.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Wass85
Wass85

NathanOlder wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 17:58
Wass85 wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 17:51
NathanOlder wrote:

So Im guessing you dont see any reasons to pit straight away , actually you thought it was better to pit later. So are Mercedes still fools for doing so ? Lewis could have got Danny and Bottas (who were about 10 seconds up the road) if they listened to you lol
I mistakenly thought that it would be a benefit but it obviously wasn't as I wasn't taking in to account the race being two laps shorter.

Your hero Lewis was obviously thinking the same as well because he was questioning that move just the same on the radio and had to be told by Vowles to "trust" them.

If you don't believe that then why would he be on the radio querying it?
He's racing the race, he cant see it all and think about it long, he's busy. He accepted the team knew better and did the right thing. The team and driver made an error before the red flag, and rightly got a penalty. Not the best result, but considering RedBull had nothing at all today in both cars, its a good race and fairly decent result, Bottas back up to P2 =D>
What are you babbling on about?

We are talking about Hamilton questioning the teams idea to bring him after the first lap to serve his penalty, he was doing all this during the red flag and not in the middle of the race like some stupid posters claimed.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

NathanOlder wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 17:59
Hammerfist wrote:
djones wrote:

ok you made me reply.

Well it does change the stint length of the hard tire he used after the penalty. They would have been 2 laps fresher tires and might have made overtaking Albon a little easier and hence he might have gotten Ricciardo as well as a result.
No it's not. you may argue the hard tire doesn't degrade enough for it to make a meaningful difference, but had he stayed out 2 laps he would have done less laps on the hard tire.

NathanOlder

Big Tea wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:
djones wrote:

ok you made me reply.

Yeap,
Theres even a couple of reasons to pit straight away, 1 being if a safety car happens in the first couple of laps, if you got your penalty done, you can they catch back up to the pack for free. You cant take your penalty while the safety car is out, so if you stayed out and the safety car come out 2 laps in, you get screwed by losing laps with an unserved penalty. Secondly, he was on the hard tyre, with very little in terms of high speed corners, they take a few laps to get right up to temp after a restart with a slow warm up lap behind the safety car. So instead of staying out for 2 or 3 laps warming up the tyres, then stop with a 30 second pit stop, and then have more warm up time to go through. It just makes sense to do it straight away. So there are a couple of reasons to pit straight away.

The only reason to stay out as long as possible, is with a spread out pack, which it wasnt due to the safety car, well done to your 7yr old daughter for seeing this =D>

There is also that the cars when you catch them are closer together, and squabbling with eachother. This works the other way too, there is not cooling gap between the cars.
But you shouldnt catch them at a different time. example, If your 1st, do 1 lap then serve a 30 second penalty, you then take 5 more laps to catch the pack, so total of 6 laps. If you pit on lap 3, you then do your penalty, you should then be closer to the pack and only take 3 laps to catch the pack. So again , 6 laps to catch the pack. and after 6 laps the pack will be in the same shape no matter when you pit. Hope that makes sense.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Wass85
Wass85

Hammerfist wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 18:04
NathanOlder wrote:
Hammerfist wrote:

No it's not. you may argue the hard tire doesn't degrade enough for it to make a meaningful difference, but had he stayed out 2 laps he would have done less laps on the hard tire.
He didn't change his tyres at the stop-go.

Wass85
Wass85

NathanOlder wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 18:05
Big Tea wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:

Yeap,

But you shouldnt catch them at a different time. example, If your 1st, do 1 lap then serve a 30 second penalty, you then take 5 more laps to catch the pack, so total of 6 laps. If you pit on lap 3, you then do your penalty, you should then be closer to the pack and only take 3 laps to catch the pack. So again , 6 laps to catch the pack. and after 6 laps the pack will be in the same shape no matter when you pit. Hope that makes sense.
You should have told Lewis all this to save him questioning the team.

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

Still feel gutted about Sainz. We excessivily use the phrase one more lap could change things, in this case I think it actually would.