2020 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, September 4 - 6

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
RZS10

Re: 2020 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, September 4 - 6

Wass85 wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 19:31
Yep instead of having the sense to push it back 5 yards, I suppose they didn't want to move their picnic table.
That's what i thought ... there was easily enough space for a car if it wasn't for their little table

Wass85
Wass85

JordanMugen wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 19:32
Wass85 wrote:
Yep instead of having the sense to push it back 5 yards, I suppose they didn't want to move their picnic table.
That is negative conjecture, unfairly targeting volunteer marshalls. Not a nice sentiment at all!

The space there was not large enough to fit a 5.3mx2m F1 car actually.
Who are you trying to kid?

From the image given you could see there was ample room for that car.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Moore77 wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 19:30
LM10 wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 19:25
Moore77 wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 19:23
Anyone know why they closed pit entry? The stranded car was quite far behind. When the leader was so far ahead of the pack and so close to pit entry, displaying pit close signal didn't make sense. They should have brought SC earlier than that or allowed leader to pass the start line before flagging SC and closing pit lane. There was no accident and no one the track, so they should have used a bit of brain. They robbed a deserving winner by catching him off guard.
Because the marshals pushed the car through pit entry.
I am not asking the obvious. The car had just stranded and it wasn't an accident zone like turn 1. Was there a need to immediately close the pit lane and push the car in?
It was initially just yellow flags. Then when it became apparent that the car had to be wheeled through the pit lane it was safety car and closed pit lane.
Last edited by Restomaniac on 06 Sep 2020, 19:55, edited 1 time in total.

Wass85
Wass85

RZS10 wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 19:37
Wass85 wrote:
That's what i thought ... there was easily enough space for a car if it wasn't for their little table
Surely Merc will question that and rightly so!

dans79

LM10 wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 19:34
Moore77 wrote:
LM10 wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 19:25

Because the marshals pushed the car through pit entry.
I am not asking the obvious. The car had just stranded and it wasn't an accident zone like turn 1. Was there a need to immediately close the pit lane and push the car in?
The obvious for Michael Masi was that the car was going to be pushed through pit entry. So that's why they closed it immediately.
I have no problem with that, but why wasn't the light at the beginning of pit Lane on.

It's ridiculous considering the amount of money involved in F1 that it seems like we're still stuck in the late 60s with people manually flipping switches on the lights after being told to do so on a radio.

Everything with the FIA is a committee via a game of telephone.
197 104 103 7

Big Tea

Lewis, If you are reading ( :twisted: ) I am sorry you lost your win, but you have plenty and it may be the last loss this year, but I really, Really enjoyed this.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

dans79 wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 19:38
LM10 wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 19:34
Moore77 wrote:
The obvious for Michael Masi was that the car was going to be pushed through pit entry. So that's why they closed it immediately.
I have no problem with that, but why wasn't the light at the beginning of pit Lane on.

It's ridiculous considering the amount of money involved in F1 that it seems like we're still stuck in the late 60s with people manually flipping switches on the lights after being told to do so on a radio.

Everything with the FIA is a committee via a game of telephone.
This is the same outfit that relays on old tech like movement sensors when It’s clear on modern HD cameras a car has gone before the lights.

El Scorchio

Wass85 wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 19:11
In this day and age why isn't it possible for the drivers to get a warning on their steering wheel to notify them of the situation?
Agree with that. As I pointed out earlier, mr Kravitz said the TEAMS don’t even get explicitly notified by race control that the pit lane is shut. I’d have thought it would warrant a direct message to the pit wall as a whole.

Wass85
Wass85

Crazy to think Hamilton is now not far off a race ban.

Wass85
Wass85

El Scorchio wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 19:49
Wass85 wrote:
In this day and age why isn't it possible for the drivers to get a warning on their steering wheel to notify them of the situation?
Agree with that. As I pointed out earlier, mr Kravitz said the TEAMS don’t even get explicitly notified by race control that the pit lane is shut. I’d have thought it would warrant a direct message to the pit wall as a whole.
It's comical and is a fix IMO.

Other examples are when drivers make a questionable pass and the driver and team are unsure whether to let the driver back past.

Why can't race control just order an action instead of not saying anything and then giving them a penalty?

zibby43
zibby43

In 2020, if we actually care about safety, why can’t a call go out over the radio to all teams - PIT LANE CLOSED, TRACK STAFF IN AREA - the instant the decision is made?

Safety is important, but yeah, we’re gonna go ahead and put the Pit Lane Closed info on page 4 lol.

Sometimes the lack of common sense amazes me. Mercedes as the leader had the least time to react and process what was going on, so all the Monday-morning quarterbacking going on to slam them is hilarious.

Especially when Red Bull and Ferrari cancelled their media availability today, and Mercedes did not. Faced all the questions, just like after Germany.

Side note: Anyone notice Verstappen’s temper tantrum getting out of the car? Personally, I was glad to see his fire. I just know that when Lewis, in the past, has expressed any negative emotion on the radio, he’s crucified.

Final note: As Toto said, today was a win for F1. Happy for Gasly. Happy to see a RP, a McLaren, and an AT on the podium!

3 different PU manufacturers.
Last edited by zibby43 on 06 Sep 2020, 19:56, edited 1 time in total.

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

Well, I always prefer the fastest car/driver to win the race. Today that did not happen. For the remaining of the races I am rooting for a **perfect HAM win streak** just stick it to FIA.

I had schadenfroh thanks to redbulls' results since they are the ones who pushed for party mode ban and look where they are. :)

Poor Kimi, let down by idiotic soft tire choice. It is not an acceptable error. They should have clearly gone for mediums.

RP drivers are not good.

Ocon is not what I thought he was and definitely does not deserve a promotion.

I cannot wait to see Rici in a Merc powered Mclaren. I expect him to be on the podium often next year.
Last edited by foxmulder_ms on 06 Sep 2020, 19:59, edited 1 time in total.

El Scorchio

Wass85 wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 19:51
El Scorchio wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 19:49
Wass85 wrote:
It's comical and is a fix IMO.

Other examples are when drivers make a questionable pass and the driver and team are unsure whether to let the driver back past.

Why can't race control just order an action instead of not saying anything and then giving them a penalty?
I don’t know about it being a fix, but it’s a poor procedure. Granted it’s rare to have to close the pit lane in a race, but you would think it’s a big enough event to be worth more of a warning to the teams than something appearing on the bottom of a timing screen. I suppose you’d argue the teams should be alert to all eventualities and only two teams fell foul, but they should consider a change. They did break a rule, and to be fair, took it on the chin in the end.

Retaking a position is another hazy one. I guess there isn’t generally time for race control to send out a message which is then relayed to the driver(S)? The teams seem to be able to police that one fairly effectively with the assumption they’ll need to give the place back.

There are many other areas where race control or the stewards could do a better and more consistent job, for sure.

siskue2005

the overtaking was very poor this race.
Last edited by siskue2005 on 06 Sep 2020, 20:03, edited 1 time in total.

matt_b
matt_b

Crazy to think Lewis came into Monza with a 47 point lead and leaves Monza with a 47 point lead.